Topic: Firefox 1.0 PR impressions

I just made the switch! No more IE for me. So far so good. It's a very nice browser. There aren't a lot of themes available (apart from some really ugly ones on Mozilla Update), but I guess they're on the way.

One thing I like in particular, is an extension called Permit Cookies. With the extension installed, you can just click alt+c to allow cookies for the site you are currently visiting. That way, you can disable cookies and then very easily enable them when you need to e.g. login somewhere. Keeps the cookie basket nice and clean. Great stuff.

There's one thing that bothers me though. When writing text such as in this textarea, the cursor appears not in front of the last character, but right on top of it (here's an example of what I mean). Are the devs aware of this incredibly annoying issue?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Firefox 1.0 PR impressions

i noticed that before (in FF 0.9.2) eerythign i type ) i look twice as it looks ] lol

These are the best themes for Firefox: http://mozthemes.tk/

I use the smoke theme, the themes should be updated to support 1.0pr by this weekend. The firefox developers seem to cause theme designers fits, hope this gets ironed out soon.

I went back to 0.9.3 until smoke gets released, can't use the default theme myself.

I've gotten used to Noia 2.0 lite on 0.9 (and earlier I used the same) ... I need that one on later versions wink

I love Firefox.  I love the default theme!  I love tabbed browsing, better security, better bookmark management, better everything.  DEATH TO IE and M$!!!

Make the switch today!

http://www.getfirefox.com

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

6 (edited by hcgtv 2004-09-16 23:07)

Frank H wrote:

I've gotten used to Noia 2.0 lite on 0.9 (and earlier I used the same) ... I need that one on later versions ;)

I tried Noia, very nice themes. Just didn't like my tabbar being a dark color, I tend to like grey, maybe I'm dull?

hcgtv wrote:

Just didn't like my tabbar being a dark color, I tend to like grey, maybe I'm dull?

Mine is light grey smile

but I'll upgrade to 1.0PR soon, still on 0.9 tongue

I like the new find bar location at the bottom of the page, very cool!!!

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

hcgtv: Smoke looks lovely. Tell me the moment it's available for 1.0PR :)

Todd: I agree, the new search is great.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The first things I noticed:
Search Bar - Better look and placement, much more useful
Plugins Needed - I entered a page with flash on it, and I noticed it installed it directly so I didn't have to download and install in Firefox (excuse my lazyness tongue)
Updates - Loved the updates button sitting up there whenever there's something new
New Buttons - A few of the buttons were changed for the better, I like the look of the new New Tab button

I started cracking up when I saw how Microsoft is trying to combat Firefox's new community at www.spreadfirefox.com.

They created a link from their home page called SUPER SURFER.  Then it takes you to the IE Community.  Well when clicking on the IE User #1 Most Popular Newsgroup link notice all the garbage these people are going thru.... it is hilarious and sad at the same time!

Check it out here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dgb … e6.browser

How can a newsgroup like that be good for IE????  You got me!  roll

12 (edited by hcgtv 2004-09-17 23:41)

Todd: thanks for the link, I liked this quote:
"I checked the Processes immediately and noticed that
iexplorer was running. Could this be Spyware or a Trojan
doing this? "

Here's a nice little tip. I hate it when my browser windows "drifts off" and positions itself not where I want it, but somewhere else. To remedy this, create a bookmark that contains e.g.

javascript:resizeTo(1280,1150);moveTo(310,12);

You'll have to edit the numbers to positon your window where you want it. Then, just put this in your bookmarks toolbar and voila, you have a button that resets your browser window size and position.

Any Chrome experts here? What about a PunBB theme for Firefox.

hcgtv wrote:

Tood: thanks for the link, I liked this quote:
"I checked the Processes immediately and noticed that
iexplorer was running. Could this be Spyware or a Trojan
doing this? "

LOL!

16 (edited by Falconey 2004-09-29 12:42)

hcgtv wrote:

I went back to 0.9.3 until smoke gets released, can't use the default theme myself.

Just download the .jar file, open it using winrar, extract and open the install.rdf file.

Find this line:

<em:maxVersion>0.9+</em:maxVersion>

And change it to this one:

<em:maxVersion>0.10</em:maxVersion>

Just drop the index.rdf file into the .jar file using winrar and you've got yourself a 0.10 compliant Smoke theme.

17 (edited by hcgtv 2004-09-18 00:43)

Thanks Falconey, so you're the chrome expert that Paul is looking for :)

Update: Incompatibilties crop up using 1.0pr and this theme version. The Google search box is messed up and the bottom indicators for the RSS and alternate stylesheets aren't showing up. This is on a clean profile, so you're mileage may vary.

Well we tried, will have to wait for Aaron.

Well, it's just a quick hack or whatever you could call it.

I'm certainly no chrome expert, i just opened the jar file and noticed an install.rdf file tongue

Hey, there is Firefox version for an USB-Stick.
Found it very useful. (Having an own, customized browser at School)
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

I found an incredibly annoying problem with Firefox. If you try to select text on a page that has white text on a black background, you can't see what you've selected because the select marking is, well, white on black.

Edit: Actually, it appears to be white on very dark gray. It's still very difficult to see.

Johi wrote:

Hey, there is Firefox version for an USB-Stick.
Found it very useful. (Having an own, customized browser at School)
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

I don't have a USB drive yet but I think I might try this when I get one.  I like the idea of being able to carry around my favorite browser with me!  Thanks for the heads up!

Rickard wrote:

I found an incredibly annoying problem with Firefox. If you try to select text on a page that has white text on a black background, you can't see what you've selected because the select marking is, well, white on black.

Edit: Actually, it appears to be white on very dark gray. It's still very difficult to see.

I don't get this problem. On winxp I just get the default for the selected theme which in my case is white text on a medium green background which shows up fine.

Paul wrote:
Rickard wrote:

I don't get this problem. On winxp I just get the default for the selected theme which in my case is white text on a medium green background which shows up fine.

Then I guess white on dark gray is the default for the default theme. What if you visit a page that has white on medium green?

Works perfectly on XP regardless of the colours. Everything just adjusts for appropriate colours given the background and text colour.

The only exception is if you use the WinXP "Classic" theme which is the Win2000 clone but I don't think anybody uses that.

i know lots of people who use the classic theme