Topic: highlighting the searched text.

I just tested the search engine and found there is no highlighting words that are searched.

after searching the links that have that word are listed. the links will be like this : http://your site/your punbb/viewtopic.php?id=forum_id.

Mine idea is adding "?keywords=keywords" after http://your site/your punbb/viewtopic.php?id=forum_id. by doing this we can highlight those words that are searched. easy to find where those words are located.

How about it?

Re: highlighting the searched text.

Well, I guess it's doable. Can't say it's a "must-have" though.

Moved to feature requests

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I've looked at the phpBB (search.php, viewtopic.php) code and it looks so simple smile

yeh its is quite a nice feature

so simple but slow and make topic confused, i am not agree with "highlighting the searched text"

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

zaher wrote:

so simple but slow and make topic confused, i am not agree with "highlighting the searched text"

Maybe "slow", 'cause it's about having (only?) a preg_replace per post.
But about "confusing" I think that Google is the number one...

P.

I never use these kind of features, I guess I'm jsut too used with using ctrl+f and write the word I'm searching for ... and I know what zaher means with confusing ...

I'm not confused about google, but then again, I don't use the highlighting, but ctrl+f big_smile

I'm still not convinced about this. It's not just a simple preg_replace per post (two big ones in phpbb, one per word in IPB). Also, I don't even want to speculate what would happen if someone would want to highlight multibyte characters.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Wouldn't it mean cluttering up the markup with a whole nest of <span class="searchhighlight"> as well.

yeh but when you search its worth it tongue and also theres not usually that many occurances of the word you search for

I've thinked about that: better leave punBB easiest&faster and letting the browser doing that dirty work 'cause every browser as a "search" function smile

if you have IE ( i dunnoabout firefox) get th google toolbar type in a word in to box and press highlight and it will do it for that page you are on

13 (edited by jacobswell 2004-10-05 11:23)

I've applied the hilight searching to my wiki document system. just test it here : http://jacobswell.nared.net/punbb/wiki. … SearchPage

as I remember it changes colors as many as you input as terms. but below 6.

And I don't think it's not quite slow wink

highlighting? that mean prce function more slow and more memory usage.

when you want something, it must be paid anyway.

jacobswell wrote:

when you want something, it must be paid anyway.

yes, or wait someone love you, or make it by your self.

I like that kind of humor! thanks. smile