Re: PunBB 1.2 development source

just the changes in pun12base.css will do RTL good more than PunBB 1.1.5, it is powerfull thig that CSS,
i add Generate pun12base_rtl.css in next versoin of PunTranslator, it is automatically create the file.

but let see
if keep @import pun12basel.css in Oxygen.css i can't detect if the language is RTL to import, so i must generate Oxygen_RTL.css and modify it, that doubling the themes,
if pun12base_rtl.css in the header.php that make easy just add if() and switch to right pun12base_rtl.css, and the user choose only a theme he like.

if someone need make css not based on pun12base.css that not problem he will ignore the pun12base.css file and override its properties.

BTW, it is not urgent to make that (you are not impelled to change your plans).

i use a dictionary, sorry if there is a hard words

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

is it not better to have a set of RTL and a set of LTR themes incase some people don't like RTL (since the rest of the internet is not all RTL some people might even prefer LTR i dunno)

zaher: Thats only a problem if you want RTL and LTR themes on your forum at the same time. I think you said before that wouldn't happen. If its only going to be a RTL forum then you just edit the base file or create a new RTL base file and change the address of @import.

154 (edited by zaher 2004-10-03 08:40)

Connorhd wrote:

is it not better to have a set of RTL and a set of LTR themes incase some people don't like RTL (since the rest of the internet is not all RTL some people might even prefer LTR i dunno)

I am working on it, that is my target.

Paul:
i know, i want to make my forum multi language, if i choose "Arabic" that will switch to RTL if i choose "English"  -> switch to LTR with same theme

if @import include in theme.css file (like Oxygen) i can not make that swtithing, but in header.php like this

if ($lang_common['lang_direction']=='rtl')
  ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/imports/pun12base_rtl.css" />
  <?
  else
  ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/imports/pun12base.css" />
  <? ; ?>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/<?php echo $style.'.css' ?>" />

in that case i will not change any of file of theme, and easy to hack the code.

155 (edited by zaher 2004-10-03 08:57)

previous code after hack to accept RTL,

but in offical code of PunBB 1.2 just one line add

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/pun12base.css.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/<?php echo $style.'.css' ?>" />

yeh but if you do that then it is wasted that you can include different base files for different styles. why can't you just have Oxygen LTR and Oxygen RTL on the style list?

there is a many css files not just Oxygen if i must make RTL for every css file that may be difficult,
in previous (in header.php) way download a new themes more easy (just download it)

Rickard wrote:

Not sure why you wouldn't want guests to see user profiles.

I don't know about the situation of other countries, but in Korea there are so many people who visit websites for collecting email addresses or some personal information. it is because Korea's web industries are so developed, there are so many shopping malls or mailing systems. sooner or later Europe(is it right spelling?) will change like Korea, there are some people who don't want to their email address known to commercial mailers. Actually I get at least 5-6 commercial emails every day for one email ID. so 2-3days later usually I deleted about 30 mails. tongue

you can always choose to hide your email adress in punbb...

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation - Oscar Wilde

jacobswell wrote:
Rickard wrote:

Not sure why you wouldn't want guests to see user profiles.

I don't know about the situation of other countries, but in Korea there are so many people who visit websites for collecting email addresses or some personal information. it is because Korea's web industries are so developed, there are so many shopping malls or mailing systems. sooner or later Europe(is it right spelling?) will change like Korea, there are some people who don't want to their email address known to commercial mailers. Actually I get at least 5-6 commercial emails every day for one email ID. so 2-3days later usually I deleted about 30 mails. :P

E-mail addresses aren't displayed for guests at all, so you don't have to worry about e-mail address harvesters anymore.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

... E-mail addresses aren't displayed for guests at all, so you don't have to worry about e-mail address harvesters anymore.

This goes for email addresses associated with guest-posts too?

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

Yes.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ah, you're right. thanks!

RTL Languages, Ok i do it,

create folder "style_rtl"
copy all css files to that folder and patch it for RTL alignment (using PunTranslator 1.1.2 not uploaded yet)

add to header.php one line and modify another

$style =(($lang_common['lang_direction']=='rtl') ? 'style_rtl/' : 'style/') . $style;

?>
<title><?php echo $page_title ?></title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo $style.'.css' ?>" />

test  use IE or Opera because there is a problem with RTL in FF
username user
password user

how about this idea big_smile

I have tested your site Zaher ... although weird words after login, your profile.php has no scroll ...

zaher: I like it. It keeps the imports in the stylesheets and allows for switching between styles for RTL users. I don't have the final word though.

My only concern is what happens if somebody using RTL simply decides to convert the existing files and doesn't create a style_rlt directory. The code needs to fail so that if there is no rtl directory then styles still gets selected. Or are you suggesting PunBB gets distributed already setup for RTL?

I would really prefer a solution that doesn't require any modification of the PHP source. Not sure it's possible though.

168 (edited by zaher 2004-10-07 20:54)

I know, I will release it as MOD. or release it with PunBB_RTL setup in my site. or may be in PunBB++

i have one request for now to modify the Offical PunBB 1.2, it's "code" tag must be always dir="ltr" and text alignment left  there is not any programming language Right To left.

zaher: As I pointed out in my previous post. I would REALLY prefer if we can fix this without being forced to release a "special" version for RTL support. It should work out of the box! :)

test alignment and align depending on CSS that is wonderful thing it is now completely Right to left when just patch the css, not need to modify the code like other forums.

well, why not include the line
$style sad($lang_common['lang_direction']=='rtl') ? 'style_rtl/' : 'style/') . $style;
in the normal punbb code, and release a RTL pack like the language packs, no need to edit just upload the folder.

>RTL pack like the language packs
that what i mean when i say "as MOD or PunBB_RTL setup", but my hope it be in offical PunBB not MOD that mean more hard work for Rickard and Paul, i think must let him consider what a perfect way.

Basically what everybody really wants is the ability to put a if/else in the stylesheet to switch between different imports. The only way to get that is with dynamic css but then you loose caching of the stylesheets unless the first dynamic stylesheet contains nothing but a couple of imports.

Possible solution:

if ($lang_common['lang_direction'] == 'rtl' && file_exists($pun_root.'style_rtl'))
    $style_path = 'style_rtl/';
else
    $style_path = 'style/';

Edit: Typo.

So we are going to get a coded solution afterall smile.

zaher: Is there anything in the stylesheets which is causing problems RTL wise. I know I have used the words left and right for class names such as .vtleft etc and will change those to something else.