Topic: Preview and Backup/Restore Database requests

Dear PunBB authors,
I am new to PubBB, but really appreciate it. The PunBB is fantastic -- it is well packaged enough to include first-class features.
Could I request for the Preview and Backup/Restore Database feature? I think these are essential, and don't make the whole board heavily load. What's more, although we can backup/restore database using phpMyAdmin or something like that, Backup/Restore facilitates more to users, isn't it?
I hope to hear your reply. Thank you!

Re: Preview and Backup/Restore Database requests

If by preview you mean preview of posts as you are writing them, it's already in 1.2. Backup/restore however will not be implemented. I don't think such a feature belongs in a bulletin board. Like you said yourself, backup/restore can be accessed via e.g. phpMyAdmin or any other database administration tool.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

maybe someone would write a little database admin plugin, like backup, restore, run sql command or something

4 (edited by Frank H 2004-10-11 16:04)

forums with large databases may timeout during the dump procedure ... (I think I'll do it with my 300+MB of data in the database)

Connorhd wrote:

maybe someone would write a little database admin plugin, like backup, restore, run sql command or something

I didn't even think of that! Man, I'm glad I did the whole admin plugin thing.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

6 (edited by hcgtv 2004-10-11 21:15)

Rickard wrote:

[I didn't even think of that! Man, I'm glad I did the whole admin plugin thing.

I was thinking along the same lines. Are there any quick start type of instructions on writing a plugin for the new interface?

I could take a stab at taking Nucleus' backup for Mysql and writing a plugin.

Update: Nevermind I read the sample plugin docs, rtfm :)

Thank you all for your advice and replies. According to my best knowledge, I cannot find Preview button. Yes, Rickard said that it is included in v1.2. Could you advice where I can download PunBB v1.2? Is it in beta phase at the moment?
About Backup/Restore feature -- it is not part of the bulletin board, but is essential for admin. Since I am not yet an experienced webmaster at present, I hope someone would let me know where to download the plug-in. Thanks!

1.2 is still in development. You can download a preview release here. I wouldn't recommend it for a production environment though.

There is no backup/restore plug-in yet, but I'm sure someone will make one once 1.2 is finished.

ok i'm looking into a plugin... i doubt it will need much if any config changed for the final 1.2 so i'll have a go now, i'm thinking back and restore, optimize and repair, run any sql query, and possibly a little sql browser

1 think i'll have to look at is psql and sqlite cos i haven't used them at all, i dunno if they support all of that

well i can now take backups, full, structure/data only, and even gzip compressed

i just stole the phpbb one, now looking at cleaning it up and added the restore option

Nice :D

ok, backup works fine, restore works fine as full, structure, data and gzipped (but only mysql atm), i just need to clean up the functions, remove some stuff and add a optimise and repair function

and.... if you enable debug mode it outputs all of the sql querys the restore runs (and restore is just a sql file executor so you could "restore" anything with it...)

Don't rush it :)

lol, can't have a plugin out before the actual thing lol, nah i got to sleep and work so i won't get it finished till the weekend

Thank you all. I will wait and see. I will temporarily use phpMyAdmin to backup/restore for now.
I have downloaded PunBB v1.2 to test. I cannot find the Preview button anywhere, Rickard. However, it's fine. It's not essential.

3061519 wrote:

I cannot find the Preview button anywhere, Rickard. However, it's fine. It's not essential.

You have to post a reply, it's not available in the quick post.

Frank H wrote:

forums with large databases may timeout during the dump procedure ... (I think I'll do it with my 300+MB of data in the database)

//
// Increase maximum execution time, but don't complain about it if it isn't
// allowed.
//
@set_time_limit(1200);

wink

hehe, I won't complain... but I doubt that many hosts allow one to fiddle in php settings big_smile

psssh, if you have that big a db you should have better backup stuff

true ... like shell access to mysqldump big_smile

why not part (splite) dump to many pieces or resumed dump somthing like that %)

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

sounds too complicated

anyway added optimise all tables, repair all tables and run sql auery, bit messy atm but it does give you a full output of the sql query

23 (edited by zaher 2004-10-14 22:09)

in Sqlite, maybe it is easy becuase it is one file, and you can put it in your space, just download it, if SQLite supported in my host i will siwtch to it.

what about backup table by table (nah crazy idea).

so by

why not part (splite) dump to many pieces or resumed dump somthing like that %)

you meant sqlite? if so i have no idea about sqlite and atm i'm just working on mysql, if it is one file why can't the user just download it tongue

what about backup table by table (nah crazy idea).

maybe.