1 (edited by bobitt 2004-08-26 21:40)

Topic: My new homepage

I have just started working on my new homepage (started today) so its not very much yet, but i contains a punBB forum, and thats what matters, isnt it? =P

Anyway i´d like some opinions and stuff. (the page is in swedish, but you will see the layout even though you may not be able to read the text =P)

URL: http://81.227.194.93/erik/hem.php
Forum: http://81.227.194.93/erik/index.php

The url is bad i know, but ill fix that later when the page is done...

EDIT: Added forum direct link

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation - Oscar Wilde

Re: My new homepage

Nice integration. I'm not too fond of the gradient in the headers, but that's a matter of taste.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

what web server are you using? i have xiopen and have had no luck getting php installed.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Hey, I like your live clock. I'll try it out on one of my sites.

Like the integration, well done.

wow looks very professional, although i think i have to agree with Rickard about the headers the dotted border gives it a sort of flat look and they look almost out of place, again just an opinion

Gary13579 wrote:

what web server are you using? i have xiopen and have had no luck getting php installed.

hehe, nvm, i found that page

Indocron

Thx.. ill think about those headers a bit more.. this work has only taken me one afternoon so far and i plan on making it last longer smile

Ill get back to this thread if i change anything...

anyway:
Thanks for the opinions! - PunBB Rocks... thats all i have to add... smile

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation - Oscar Wilde

Page a bit updated aouiiii smile check it out if you want to.. coming together quite nice now i think...

http://81.227.194.93/erik/hem.php

cool. it looks quite a bit better now. i got mine up, not that good and cause my dad disconnects my computer from the network at night (a**hole..) it isnt up all the time

http://63.84.89.227

Indocron

I don't  know if you have a domain name or plan on getting one...but I think using an ip for a website is terrible lol tongue

try this http://erik.legendnet.net

smile

Beast6228 wrote:

I don't  know if you have a domain name or plan on getting one...

Try this service, it's free and you don't need a domain name: http://dyndns.org

12 (edited by Beast6228 2004-09-28 19:07)

Try this one...100 times better than dyndns or any other place.

http://www.afraid.org

Currently 9918 other domains besides afraid.org for you to choose from.
read the feature list for more information.

I fail to see how anything can work better than dyndns.org. I have used it before and it has worked flawlessly.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

there is nothing wrong using dyndns.org...but you have to pay if you want to have more options.  FreeDNS offers just about every dns option currently available for free...whereas dyndns charges for custom dns.
they charge $25.00 just to add a domain. ..freedns charges nothing and you can add as many domains as you want for free...with total control over your domain and subdomains.

Feature List:

* Free subdomain AND domain AND backup DNS hosting.
    * INSTANTLY point yourname.afraid.org or yourname.com to any IP or URL on the Internet. Our high performance network and highly optimized FreeDNS application allow for instantaneous updates.
    * Supports every TLD on the Internet.
    * Currently 9935 other domains besides afraid.org for you to choose from.
    * No advertising, currently service is being supported by the donations from it's users, which go directly to server ISP costs (Thank you).
    * Robust Support for CNAME, A, AAAA, MX, and NS records.
    * Round robin DNS supported (Multiple IP addresses for 1 hostname).
    * IPv6 forward AND reverse (both .int and .arpa) supported.
    * Dynamic DNS supported.
    * Forward your host to any URL on the internet (even to a different port if your ISP blocks 80) with the Web Forward feature.
    * URL cloaking supported so users never see the real URL of your site in the address bar.
    * Support for multiple hosts within a single account.
    * If you change web hosts your afraid.org host can always stay the same.
    * Simple, fast, flexible and reliable interface, feedback is encouraged.
    * Works with your existing ISP/web site host.
    * If your website provider goes down visitors will get a "timeout" error instead of a "site does not exist" error, e-mail will also remain queued for 5 days if your website provider goes down and you are using afraid.org for offsite DNS hosting.
    * Multiple afraid.org servers in different parts of the country for redundancy (donated).
    * If you put a domain in afraid.org, you can edit TTL, Minimum, Allow/Deny AXFR's, and approve/disapprove others from using hosts on your domain.
    * What makes FreeDNS unique is that it's a free shared DNS hosting service, support for vanity dns hosts (example: i.knew.you.were.afraid.org) and there are now 9935 other domains to choose from!
    * Fast and easy setup process. Setup an account in less then 5 minutes.
    * Addition of your personal domain supported (your host limit will be raised by 20 per domain).
    * Extremely reliable, fast, and redundant hosting.

if you comared the two, you would see the difference.

im using www.erikhome.info - the free one year trial that was offered on www.domainsite.org ... so at least i got something... the site has ben in a standstill for a while now due to other things that needed attention, but ill keep working on it when i get the time.

as an option for www.dyndns.org i also use www.no-ip.com ... i can really recommend that one too

Beast6228: OK OK! :) FreeDNS sure seems to have a lot more features. However, the only thing I value in such a service is reliability. And dyndns.org hasn't been down for a second since i signed up a few years ago.

chances are if you have a domain you don't need dns services, if you have a domain that doesn't come with dns then you were ripped off tongue

For my domains I'm using this: http://zoneedit.com/

But I will try out FreeDNS for any future domains, just have to see if my update client, DDClient, has support for it.

19 (edited by Beast6228 2004-10-01 04:26)

I failed to mention that I do use dyndns myself..but I use it in conjunction with FreeDNS ..since my router has a dyndns client built in I use it to point to a cname record.

and as far as dns goes when you own your own domain...yes you get dns with your domain...but 95% of the time you don't have access to it, you can't make any changes to it (except for name servers). Basically its just dns for parking your domain, so that when someone types www.whateveryourdomainnameis.com they don't get a blank page. aka domain parking.

FreeDNS has several update clients available, if you search their forums you will find one.

I only started talking about this in here because everyone thinks no-ip.com..dyndns.org and a couple of other are the only ones available. Its always good to have more options.
The owner of FreeDNS is constantly adding more features..and he is always around if you need help. He does everything on his own too.

I have made some updates. Features now include: a blog with commenting, a quote database, a punbb forum =P, and a complete admin system to control the blog, quotes and that also allows you to create content pages... (displayed under "mer innehåll" on the left under the image)...

also made a more personal banner to the site with me holding a glass of beer big_smile

hope you like it..

oh and btw.. im having some trouble with my .info domain. since i connected it to my site using virtual server instead of redirect the load becomes very slow at some times and times out... i also pretty often get the same error as you get when you use php include() and have an un-existing path included.. then when i refresh the page the error disappears... any ideas how to fix?

also when i put the adress as virtal server my IP-number stopped working as an adress to my homepage... to solve that i had to put my IP as virtual server too... (lol) anyone knows how to get around this? im not so good at using apache smile

Thx in advance

looks nice smile
i guess your using domainsite.com, and all i did was add an A record and modify a name server to point to my ip.

suprisingly, it worked big_smile. i was just screwing around.

Indocron

bobitt wrote:

oh and btw.. im having some trouble with my .info domain. since i connected it to my site using virtual server instead of redirect the load becomes very slow at some times and times out... i also pretty often get the same error as you get when you use php include() and have an un-existing path included.. then when i refresh the page the error disappears... any ideas how to fix?

also when i put the adress as virtal server my IP-number stopped working as an adress to my homepage... to solve that i had to put my IP as virtual server too... (lol) anyone knows how to get around this? im not so good at using apache

Noone knows how to solve my problem?? it is quite disturbing you know.. smile