Topic: Chat

I searched for it here, but did not find.
I did see Chat as a menu thing in an alpha/beta 1.2 PunBB.
Qs:
- is chat comin in 1.2?
- anyone else have a nice integratable chat module for 1.1.5?
(Users on my forum requested it...)

New Friendly web-shop! • SO happy with PunBB! • Now punBB 1.4.x on ALL forums (won't tell how many or their addresses to avoid spam-regs)

Re: Chat

yes there will be a chat mod in 1.2 but it won't be installed by default

sweet - then i will stop hunting for all-bells-and-whistles-chat-module.php - as i trust the PunBB chat module will be lean and minimalistic!

New Friendly web-shop! • SO happy with PunBB! • Now punBB 1.4.x on ALL forums (won't tell how many or their addresses to avoid spam-regs)

you can integrated the pjirc in punbb 1.1.5 :$

i have my chat in my forums :$

El Mejor Lugar de la Red - Corporación Azakur4

Azakur4 wrote:

you can integrated the pjirc in punbb 1.1.5 :$
i have my chat in my forums :$

what is "pjirc"?
where is your forum?

yeh the mod i'm making is PJirc
heres a preview:
http://66.98.138.31/~connorhd/chatroom.png

But oh dear, its apparently a client for irc-chat, which requires connection to irc network...way too complicated for me, i will satisfy with a "local" chat, as will probably be the case in PunBB 1.2.

you can search a script in php for chat and integrated in your punbb

El Mejor Lugar de la Red - Corporación Azakur4

"local" chat is much more complicated as you need some kind of engine running for it either a file or mysql i guess, irc chat will be pretty simple to set up, all you need to do is ensure you choose a unique channel name

local chat will not be the case in 1.2 unless someone else makes it... however what you might like more is a shoutbox... which will probably be made

I am very dense, searcing and testing many things at once... wink
But i do know someone in one of these fora tried/demo'd v1.2dev, and on his site, there was a Chat in menu, i did go into that chat, and there it was. Sure looked like a local one. Maybe it was a "shoutbox" by definition, but it was lean, clean, and updated at intervals (which is not too pretty, but still, its ok, to me).
Only problem is - i cannot for the world remember where it was :x
Anyone remember/seen?

ConnorHD is making a chat mod for IRC.
im making one for PHP/MySQL wink
i dont have it setup anywhere but my own server, which isnt on all the time, but keep on checking
http://garyschilling.info/punbb12/chat.php

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

12 (edited by Gary13579 2004-12-03 00:53)

okay, i got a newer one, and it has flash. its powered by some no name script, that chances are non of us have ever heard of....

http://gary13579.info/pun1.2/

when you quit, BE SURE TO CLICK LOGOUT. If you dont, none other users with that name will be able to login, as its not finished yet.

if it it keeps on saying that that username is taken, register and you will be able to get in.

edit: great, just as i post this the server crashes.... please keep on trying till it works again

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Connorhd wrote:

So - what does this mean then...?
- made by Rickard?
- made by someone else in conjunction and with tasteful integration (as so is not zz-flash-chat) ?

i'm making a chat mod for punbb 1.2 using pjirc for an irc chat room, Gary is making one using php/mysql and flash for people who want a more simple non-irc chat room... you can see mine here http://66.98.138.31/~connorhd/pun1.2beta/index.php

mine should be very very easy to install, probably uploading a few files and editing 1 file

smile
well, i already got one - too simple maybe, but minimalistic - ha.

check at www.tetis.gr8.se/chat/ if you like
not protected, as ppl dont know its there wink

In the forum, a link in punBB nav-bar, only visible for members/admin, opens a new window with it.

the one you had, connor, nice, but the .js did not load on my box...=(
the flash one, was too ugly, and to edit flash is too much work wink

yeh mine messed up i need to get someone who knows more than me to look at the object tag... if your trying it in FireFox try it in IE

ahh yours is just what i would call a shoutbox not that theres anything wrong with that wink

Connorhd wrote:

So where is it?

err i'll try to get it done this weekend, i've been really busy with exams at college and i've also done 2 plugins and mypunbb.com lol

Connor,

I took a look at your chat mod.  How are you going to restrict people from changing their nick after they login and enter pjirc? 

Does anyone know of a chat program that will be able to use punbb user registration info to get into, and not allow them to change their nick once they are in the chat room?

i'm not going to restrict them if you wanted to irc chat is probably not what you want

Oh I found a param in pjirc that will allow me to disable the nick command.  I just want people who join the chat to be registered, and not claim to be someone else.  Thanks for writing the mod.  Hope it gets released soon!

authorizedcommandlist : set the list of command the user is athorized to do.
  ---------------------   Syntax is "all-command1-command2-..." or
                          "none+command1+command2+...". By default, authorized
                          command list is "all". Don't prefix the command with
                          the / character.
    Example :
      <param name="authorizedcommandlist" value="none+me">

i'll probably allow parameters like that to be set as advanced options not yes/no boxes

mi wrote:

But oh dear, its apparently a client for irc-chat, which requires connection to irc network...way too complicated for me, i will satisfy with a "local" chat, as will probably be the case in PunBB 1.2.

Connecting to IRC is "complicated"?

...i never understood those IRC-deniers tongue It just simply is THE chat-protocol.

One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
~ Will Durant (1885 - 1981)

one thing that will be great it's to indicate the numbers of visitors in the link to the chat. Is it possible with pjirc and will you do this ?

i don't know how it would be possible with pjirc and not with anything else? how would you do it?