Topic: PunBB 1.2 Beta

I just uploaded the beta. As of now, PunBB 1.2 is in feature freeze. I encourage you go try it out and play with it as much as possible. Post bug reports in this topic. I wouldn't call it production quality just yet, but it appears to be quite stable. In other words, don't upgrade your production forums just yet, but feel free to make a copy of your production forums to play with.

It is unlikely that the database structure will change from now on, but if it does, I probably won't make an update script that will update the database from beta to final. Just so you know.

For those of you who haven't followed the development of 1.2, here's a rundown on the new features:

- Completely new, XHTML 1.0 Strict and semantically correct markup and CSS by Paul Sullivan.
- Improved documentation by Bert Garcia.
- A proper user group system.
- Admin plugins.
- SQLite support.
- Simple file-based caching of static data.
- Post preview.
- More advanced BBCode pre-parsing.
- Redesigned profile.
- Search for users in userlist.
- Work in with full PHP error reporting.
- MySQL 4.1+ support via PHP's mysqli extension.
- Redirect forums.
- Ability to delete all of a specific users posts.
- User language selection.

And lots more. Refer to the changelog for a complete list of all changes.

Please read the docs before attempting to update from 1.1.

http://punbb.org/download/in_developmen … 2-beta.zip

Edit: Forgot the download link.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.2 Beta

Got it, new blog entry, created a new Xref: http://hcgtv.net/blog/2

3 (edited by Connorhd 2004-11-29 22:34)

couple of things.. when you stick a topic maybe it should say topic made sticky/normal instead of sticked since its not really a word

delete multiple post view looks a little funny...

4 (edited by Madoor 2004-11-29 23:08)

Great work!

Rickard wrote:

I just uploaded the beta.

OK, I'll bite.  :>)

Where can I download!

Raybo wrote:

Where can I download!

http://punbb.org/download/in_development/

- There is one thing I like more in the current version though and that is the fact that the "Author" column is gone in 1.2. It looks messy right now!

- Well, found one more thing that bothers me! Moderators shouldn't be able to view the "Statistics" in the admins control panel. Click "Admin" in the menu and you'll see what statics I mean. There is no meaning for them to be able to view that info, at least not the info about the "Environment".

- When you find one thing to complain about you often find more wink Well, it's great to have a user group system, but to what use is that if you can't set more than one group to be moderators? I can set the group rights in the admin control panel "forums" for all groups, but I can't set what forums they should be moderators for (except for the user group named "moderators" fron the beginning) in the "profile -> administration". Do you understand what I mean? I want to be able to check those boxes with other groups than just the ordinary "moderators" group.

Connorhd wrote:

delete multiple post view looks a little funny...

Oops. There were some very last minute changes. Something obviously get missed out. Fixed now.

if you ban a member, when the log in they find out they are benned. but when they try and log out again it dont let them. is there a way to make it so they can log out?

ok, found a bug: if you know the ID of the post you want to repport you can report any post you want (not if you are a guets though). A member can report an admin or a moderator post in the admin/moderator forums and a moderator can report an admin post in the admin forum if he/she knows the ID of the post. Well, you can't do anything if you have reported the message (moderators can zap the report after they have made it though as well as see the topics name in the report), but it should be fixed anyway! Moderators shouldn't be able to see reports in the forums they aren't mods in either.

Madoor wrote:

- There is one thing I like more in the current version though and that is the fact that the "Author" column is gone in 1.2. It looks messy right now!

I'm not sure what you're saying. I'm guessing "current version" is the one just released (i.e. the beta), but then your post doesn't make sense.

Madoor wrote:

- Well, found one more thing that bothers me! Moderators shouldn't be able to view the "Statistics" in the admins control panel. Click "Admin" in the menu and you'll see what statics I mean. There is no meaning for them to be able to view that info, at least not the info about the "Environment".

Good idea. I'll put it on the list.

Madoor wrote:

- When you find one thing to complain about you often find more ;) Well, it's great to have a user group system, but to what use is that if you can't set more than one group to be moderators? I can set the group rights in the admin control panel "forums" for all groups, but I can't set what forums they should be moderators for (except for the user group named "moderators" fron the beginning) in the "profile -> administration". Do you understand what I mean? I want to be able to check those boxes with other groups than just the ordinary "moderators" group.

I implemented the user group system because one of the most requested features in PunBB 1.1 was the ability to allow only certain users access to certain forums. I did it as lightweight as possible. Adding the ability to give multiple groups moderator rights will greatly complicate things (as I've told you before). Every single permission check will have to be extended to include a set of groups instead of just one group. You have to understand that this is PunBB. I was sceptical towards implementing a user group system in the first place.

I'm curious, why would you want multiple moderator groups anyway?

Madoor wrote:

ok, found a bug: if you know the ID of the post you want to repport you can report any post you want (not if you are a guets though). A member can report an admin or a moderator post in the admin/moderator forums and a moderator can report an admin post in the admin forum if he/she knows the ID of the post. Well, you can't do anything if you have reported the message (moderators can zap the report after they have made it though as well as see the topics name in the report), but it should be fixed anyway!

I really don't see the problem. So what if people can report any post they want? What's the harm?

Madoor wrote:

Moderators shouldn't be able to see reports in the forums they aren't mods in either.

I'll look into it.

mark36ph wrote:

if you ban a member, when the log in they find out they are benned. but when they try and log out again it dont let them. is there a way to make it so they can log out?

That is by design. The idea is that once you're banned, you shouldn't just be able to log out and register a new account. This way, people need to have the skills to delete their cookie and frankly most poeple don't.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

BTW, here's what's changed since the last dev release.

2004-11-27
""""""""""
*  Added FAQ entry "I've updated the database manually, but the changes have
   no effect. What's up?" that describes how to deal with manual database
   updates and the cache.

2004-11-25
""""""""""
*  Fixed notification e-mails being sent out to users even though the topic
   had been moved to a forum that the subscribed user doesn't have read
   access in.
*  Added option that sets whether guests are required to enter an e-mail
   address or not when posting.

2004-11-24
""""""""""
*  Replaced the new admin option "Image max width" with "Image max height".
   Instead of limiting the maximum width of images, which is taken care of by
   scrollbars anyway, the new setting limits the height of images.

2004-11-23
""""""""""
*  Added forum attribute "Sort topics by" that sets by which attribute topics
   are sorted in viewforum.php - last post (default) or topic start.
*  Replaced $pun_root with the constant PUN_ROOT. This change not only
   decreases the risk of potential security problems, but also removes the
   need to "globalize" the variable in every function it is used. Thanks to
   anythingwilldo for reporting a potential security problem in common.php
   that lead to this change.
*  Rewrote code for disallowing "shouting" in subjects, messages and
   signatures to prevent problems with certain locales.
*  Replaced username with user_id in the cookie. It's more efficient this
   way.

2004-11-22
""""""""""
*  Implemented second iteration of Paul's new and improved markup and CSS.

2004-11-15
""""""""""
*  Fixed various forms that allowed you to post what appeared to be empty
   messages with the help of non-printable characters.
*  Added function pun_trim(). The function replaces certain non-printable
   characters with regular spaces and trims the result.

2004-11-07
""""""""""
*  Rewrote and optimized online list and visit management code. Instead of
   running one DELETE and one INSERT on the online table and one UPDATE on
   the users table, the forums now, on average, runs one SELECT and one
   UPDATE on the online table. The users last visit column is updated when
   the user is removed from the online list. Due to the rewrite, one query
   less is executed on basically all pages. The column "last_action" has
   been removed from the users table and a new column "idle" has been added
   to the online table. If idle=0, the user is online. If idle=1, the user
   is considered to be offline, but he/she won't be removed until "Timeout
   visit" seconds have passed since the last action.
*  PunBB no longer sets a new cookie for every page view. Since PunBB doesn't
   store last visit/last action data in the cookie anymore (since 1.1), there
   is no need to set a new cookie with username and password hash on every
   page view. This means a few bytes less traffic between the webserver and
   the client. The downside of this is that users will have to re-login when
   the cookie expires after a year. Not a big deal though.

2004-11-05
""""""""""
*  Simplified database adapter (especially for PostgreSQL) classes a bit.
   Running PunBB with PostgreSQL now requires PHP 4.3.0 or later.
*  Added support for MySQL 4.1 and later via the MySQL Improved extension
   (mysqli). As a result of this, a new database adapter class has been
   added.

2004-11-04
""""""""""
*  Fixed registration welcome mails and subscription notifications mails not
   being sent out when the board title contains a colon.

2004-11-03
""""""""""
*  Added Jabber field to the user profile.

On top of that, there have been a lot of changes to the markup and CSS and a lot of minor tweaks and alterations that aren't covered by the changelog.

Rickard wrote:
Madoor wrote:

I'm not sure what you're saying. I'm guessing "current version" is the one just released (i.e. the beta), but then your post doesn't make sense.

By current he means 1.1.5. He wants the author column back in viewforum. I can now add speaking Swedeglish to my skills.

14 (edited by Connorhd 2004-11-30 07:30)

personally i think the by .... looks nice big_smile

If you want to display an image you can use the img tag.
[img ]http://127.0.0.1/beta1/img/Oxygen_new.png[/img] produces

missing the actual picture in help

The best way to test a board is in production (i did make a backup though.. wink). I'll let you know what I'll run into. Been running the -dev source for a while now on one of my other websites (forums run stable) and I can say that I absolutely love v1.2. smile

http://forums.audio-tracker.com/

16 (edited by Kaboon 2004-11-30 08:44)

Ah, and while I'm at it, i've been wondering this for a while:

My server allows creation of subdomains (using Esmin CP). A subdomain points to a folder in the root (html) directory. So that means http://forums.audio-tracker.com/ actually goes to http://www.audio-tracker.com/forums

We use the http://forums.audio-tracker.com/ as default. But I was just working in http://www.audio-tracker.com/forums because I couldn't switch off the Maintenace Mode (even by using the script and changing the database setting). I thought that may have helped (was wrong though, needed to change cache/cache_config.php to make it work again -> could this considered being a bug too?) . Anyway, after i fixed stuff again, I continued working in http://www.audio-tracker.com/forums. Then i found out that updating of the Settings in the admin cp works without any problems but as soon as I want to change some Permissions it throws the following error at me:

Info

Bad HTTP_REFERER. You were referred to this page from an unauthorized source. If the problem persists please make sure that 'Base URL' is correctly set in Admin/Options and that you are visiting the forum by navigating to that URL. More information regarding the referrer check can be found in the PunBB documentation.

Been wondering if this is intended behaviour or that all the other panes in the admin cp should do the same...

- Kaboon

Kaboon wrote:

We use the http://forums.audio-tracker.com/ as default. But I was just working in http://www.audio-tracker.com/forums because I couldn't switch off the Maintenace Mode (even by using the script and changing the database setting). I thought that may have helped (was wrong though, needed to change cache/cache_config.php to make it work again -> could this considered being a bug too?)

You're right. I'll fix it.

Kaboon wrote:

Anyway, after i fixed stuff again, I continued working in http://www.audio-tracker.com/forums. Then i found out that updating of the Settings in the admin cp works without any problems but as soon as I want to change some Permissions it throws the following error at me:

Info

Bad HTTP_REFERER. You were referred to this page from an unauthorized source. If the problem persists please make sure that 'Base URL' is correctly set in Admin/Options and that you are visiting the forum by navigating to that URL. More information regarding the referrer check can be found in the PunBB documentation.

Been wondering if this is intended behaviour or that all the other panes in the admin cp should do the same...

Yes, that is intended behaviour. If you weren't able to update the options, how would you correct an faulty Base URL? :)

Ah, obviously. Sounds logical. Thanks. smile

Connorhd wrote:

If you want to display an image you can use the img tag.
[img ]http://127.0.0.1/beta1/img/Oxygen_new.png[/url] produces

missing the actual picture in help

Quite right. Well spotted.

This new beta release displays at the top of pages:

Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 5 of 8 bytes in /var/www/tmp/punbb12/include/functions.php on line 40

(PHP 4.3.9)

21 (edited by Kaboon 2004-11-30 11:30)

Verify registrations - Yes

Login attempt after a new registration will results in (for me):

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to update user status.

[edit] Which brings me to the next issue; Are the admins not able to change the status of a new member? It's now saying "Not verified".

bohwaz wrote:

This new beta release displays at the top of pages:

Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 5 of 8 bytes in /var/www/tmp/punbb12/include/functions.php on line 40

(PHP 4.3.9)

Odd. Try adding a @ right before unserialize on that line in functions.php. If that doesn't  help, clear your cookie. I'll fix it permanently when I get home from work.

Kaboon wrote:

Verify registrations - Yes

Login attempt after a new registration will results in (for me):

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to update user status.

Works for me. Enable DEBUG mode and try again. There's a sticky topic describing how in the troubleshooting forums.

Kaboon wrote:

[edit] Which brings me to the next issue; Are the admins not able to change the status of a new member? It's now saying "Not verified".

Not verified just means the user has never logged in. You can still change what status (or rather what group) the user belongs to in his/her profile under Administration.

NOTE: Would anybody posting about bugs/problems with the markup or css please be sure to say which browsers and operating systems they have used for testing.

the new docs are great... however if anyone has time a quick guide to the CSS and a quick guide for punbbs main fuctions/arrays would be very useful

There will be a guide to the css but I'm not going to do it until everything is absolutely finalised; I have a serious aversion to doing things twice.