26 (edited by Kaboon 2004-11-30 15:13)

Re: PunBB 1.2 Beta

Rickard wrote:
Kaboon wrote:

Verify registrations - Yes

Login attempt after a new registration will results in (for me):

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to update user status.

Works for me. Enable DEBUG mode and try again. There's a sticky topic describing how in the troubleshooting forums.

Hehehe, sorry to bother you that much. I got a bit excited so I forgot to look for manuals and stuff. hmm

Anyway, this is what I get when the user tries to log-in for the first time:

File: /var/www/html/forums/login.php
Line: 71

PunBB reported: Unable to update user status

Database reported: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'WHERE id=157' at line 1 (Errno: 1064)

[edit]

I changed:

$db->query('UPDATE '.$db->prefix.'users SET group_id='.$pun_config['o_default_user_group'].' WHERE id='.$user_id) or error('Unable to update user status', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

Into:

$db->query('UPDATE '.$db->prefix.'users SET group_id=\''.$pun_config['o_default_user_group'].'\' WHERE id='.$user_id) or error('Unable to update user status', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

Which made it kinda work. But that results in a:

Notice: Undefined index: o_default_user_group in /var/www/html/forums/login.php on line 71

On the next page. big_smile (also brings me back to the 1st step of registering and user stays in "Not verified" state but is able to log-in)

Hi,

I have an error when I install the new punBB 1.2.

An error occured on line 1240 in file /home/site/www/punbb2/install.php.
PunBB reported: Unable to create indexes. Please check your configuration and try again.
Database reported: Access denied for user: 'user@IP' to database 'name' (Errno: 1044)

this line is the one which build the indexes on tables

I change the real data . I don't understand haw can I have an access denied whereas my tables are created and the indexes are a pb. I look punbb 1.1.5 and i saw that ths file install.php has the same query for builging the indexes so I try te réinstall this version and that was ok.

So if someone has an idée it would be nice for me. Than you

28 (edited by Madoor 2004-11-30 15:30)

Rickard wrote:
Madoor wrote:

- There is one thing I like more in the current version though and that is the fact that the "Author" column is gone in 1.2. It looks messy right now!

I'm not sure what you're saying. I'm guessing "current version" is the one just released (i.e. the beta), but then your post doesn't make sense.

Sorry that I couldn?t make myself understood. As someone said I mean the column in the viewforum.php page named "Author" in punbb v. 1.1.5. It looks messy right now in 1.2 since topics and names are "mixed". Very easy for people who wants the old style back to edit it though.

Rickard wrote:
Madoor wrote:

- When you find one thing to complain about you often find more wink Well, it's great to have a user group system, but to what use is that if you can't set more than one group to be moderators? I can set the group rights in the admin control panel "forums" for all groups, but I can't set what forums they should be moderators for (except for the user group named "moderators" fron the beginning) in the "profile -> administration". Do you understand what I mean? I want to be able to check those boxes with other groups than just the ordinary "moderators" group.

I implemented the user group system because one of the most requested features in PunBB 1.1 was the ability to allow only certain users access to certain forums. I did it as lightweight as possible. Adding the ability to give multiple groups moderator rights will greatly complicate things (as I've told you before). Every single permission check will have to be extended to include a set of groups instead of just one group. You have to understand that this is PunBB. I was sceptical towards implementing a user group system in the first place.

I'm curious, why would you want multiple moderator groups anyway?

Ok, your choice. I have one forum for admins, one for admins and co-workers (people that are publishing news for example) and then one forum for admins, co-workers and moderators where you can write messages about members and so on (moderator stuff). That is why I would like to have an extra forum for the "high moderators" (co-workers).

Rickard wrote:
Madoor wrote:

ok, found a bug: if you know the ID of the post you want to repport you can report any post you want (not if you are a guets though). A member can report an admin or a moderator post in the admin/moderator forums and a moderator can report an admin post in the admin forum if he/she knows the ID of the post. Well, you can't do anything if you have reported the message (moderators can zap the report after they have made it though as well as see the topics name in the report), but it should be fixed anyway!

I really don't see the problem. So what if people can report any post they want? What's the harm?

Madoor wrote:

Moderators shouldn't be able to see reports in the forums they aren't mods in either.

I'll look into it.

No harm done, but I don't see the point why they should be able to do it... If moderators can't view reports on the forums they aren't moderators in there is no harm done though.

Hi Folks,

Great Job Rickard!  Also, I need to shower praises on Paul too.  :>)

My install went without a hitch, however if I had something to fuss about for an early beta release, I would say the text is too small for my old eyes to read it.  Actually, it's really *too* small to really see anything.

Internet Exploder 5.1 on Mac OS 9

The same is not so bad for IE on OSX.  Text is somewhat larger.  Under Firefox, the text size looks ok.

[Note: For those of you who are using OSX, please don't tell me to 'update'.  I already have three machines running OSX now.  :>)]

On the other hand, I do feel this should be remedied in subsequent updates to PunBb, only because there will be a lot of folks who are still running OS 9 - and therefore using IE 5.1 as their browser.  I would be willing to give up encreased point size in subsequent browers to accommodate this.

I recognize users could simply change the point size after they install, however this is a large departure from earlier versions of PunBB, so in that case this would be hard to sell new users.

Otherwise, I am tickled to death.  This is *very* kewl - not overlooking all the other details, the new plugin feature is worth the price of admission. :>)

Just my two cents worth.  :>)  Kudos!!

Can we create the language pack final or there will be modifications of the lang files ?

[img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img] /me speaks French and bad English [img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img]

Raybo. Thanks for the kind words. First of all it's great news that it's working in IE5.1Mac at all. Two font-sizes are being used. A size of 10px is being sent to non-IE browsers that support zooming pixel font-sizes. This is the same size as v.1.1.5. A percentage font-size is being sent to IE which now means that text can be zoomed in IEWin. Obviously it is this percentage that causes problems in IE5Mac.  Bascially what we have is an improvement for 60% of users at the expense of 0.6% of users. I could try reworking the font-sizes in the stylesheet to send a different size to IE5Mac. If I come up with something could you test it? One thing I cannot do is differentiate between IE5.1 and IE5.2.

EDIT

Raybo. Could you try this

Go to line 23 of Oxygen.css and substitute the following

/* IEWin Font Size \*/
* HTML BODY {FONT-SIZE: 65%}
/* End of IEWin Font Size */

This should'nt increase the font-size in IE5.2Mac but hopefully it should make IE5.1 and IE5.2 look the same.

EDIT AGAIN

Actaully, it should make both versions of IE look the same as firefox.

Paul wrote:

There will be a guide to the css but I'm not going to do it until everything is absolutely finalised; I have a serious aversion to doing things twice.

cool cos being crap at css trying to make a mod is complicated lol

Connorhd wrote:

the new docs are great... however if anyone has time a quick guide to the CSS and a quick guide for punbbs main fuctions/arrays would be very useful

Good idea regarding the functions and variables. I'll put it on the list.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Kaboon: Try removing all .php scripts in the cache-directory. PunBB will then regenerate them. Tell me if that helps.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Madoor wrote:

Sorry that I couldn?t make myself understood. As someone said I mean the column in the viewforum.php page named "Author" in punbb v. 1.1.5. It looks messy right now in 1.2 since topics and names are "mixed". Very easy for people who wants the old style back to edit it though.

Ah, ok. Well, I guess it's matter of taste. I prefer it this way because it makes index.php and viewforum.php look very similar and I believe it simplifies the markup/CSS quite a bit.

Madoor wrote:

Ok, your choice. I have one forum for admins, one for admins and co-workers (people that are publishing news for example) and then one forum for admins, co-workers and moderators where you can write messages about members and so on (moderator stuff). That is why I would like to have an extra forum for the "high moderators" (co-workers).

But why do you need your co-workers to have moderator rights?

Madoor wrote:

No harm done, but I don't see the point why they should be able to do it... If moderators can't view reports on the forums they aren't moderators in there is no harm done though.

There's no point in being able to do it, but preventing people from doing it will complicate things. I would have to run a query to find out whether the post that is being reported is in a topic that resides in a forum that the reporting user has reading rights to. I don't think the added "functionality" makes up for the added complexity.

Hey Paul,

Sure, come up with just a slightly different size upwards, and send that to me.  I'll be happy to test and send you some feedback moshskosh.

I understand and recognize the different approaches you're faced with when desigining a style sheet [for that matter, any style sheet].  I just felt that leaving out Mac's in general would be a terrible thing to do.  [does that sound like a commercial or what?? :>))]

Thanks!

Raybo: I edited my earlier post. Did you try the fix?

2004-11-24
""""""""""
*  Replaced the new admin option "Image max width" with "Image max height".
   Instead of limiting the maximum width of images, which is taken care of by
   scrollbars anyway, the new setting limits the height of images.

Rickard: This is actually a problem for those (Im one of them) who implemented the forum in a existing site structure with constant width. In 1.1.1 I had to edit the forum myself. Now since I see you've implemented a function for this I actually dont see why there should not be an option to set max width AND height, or just one of them.

/C

39 (edited by kiplantt 2004-11-30 17:20)

kiplantt wrote:

Can we create the language pack final or there will be modifications of the lang files ?

Rickard: Answers, please !

[img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img] /me speaks French and bad English [img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img]

Paul wrote:

Raybo: I edited my earlier post. Did you try the fix?

Hey Paul,

yes, this did the trick!  thanks!

I also email you directly.  Please let me know if that is a good address to correspond.  I sent you two, both addressing two completely different issues.

Thanks so much

chrizz wrote:

2004-11-24
""""""""""

Rickard: This is actually a problem for those (Im one of them) who implemented the forum in a existing site structure with constant width. In 1.1.1 I had to edit the forum myself. Now since I see you've implemented a function for this I actually dont see why there should not be an option to set max width AND height, or just one of them.

/C

But if an image is too wide, it will get scrollbars anyway, so I can't really see what the problem is.

kiplantt wrote:
kiplantt wrote:

Rickard: Answers, please !

Sorry. I missed your post. Yes, you can. I can't promise there won't be any more changes, but if there are, they will be minor. If I make any changes, I'll make a note of them so that the lang packs can be updated with ease.

42 (edited by chrizz 2004-11-30 17:47)

Rickard wrote:
chrizz wrote:

2004-11-24
""""""""""

/C

But if an image is too wide, it will get scrollbars anyway, so I can't really see what the problem is.

Are we talking about the same images? Im not talking about avatars, but the [img]url_to_image[/img].

The page gets scrollbars, yes, but I dont want them. Thats the problem smile ... I want the image to fit in something like 500x500.

edit: and then a link to the fullsize-version

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://punbb.org/stuff/scrollbars.png

oh. Nice scrollbar. In my current version (1.1.1) the whole forum gets expanded by the image.

Just forget what I said then wink

Ah, I thought you were running 1.2 already.

Well first off congratulation to Rickard for the new version...works and looks great.
Congrats to paul also, have been messing with CSS just recently and it *can* become a struggle. Good work.

I've a quick question on integrating the forum into my site. I have a main page which sets up side and top nav...then i have the rest of the page for the contents.

How I fill this is by including a php script which instead of echo uses

$output .="headline";
$output .="story";

$output is the parsed into a template file.

Now the easiest way for me to integrate the forum into my site would be to include it as above. Is there anyway of doing this and setting the output  to $output as above?

hmm, hope that makes sense. I've tried a couple of ways but the forum just takes up the whole page and everything else disappears.

(I guess one way around would be to edit the forum index and use that as my controlling page ..but was just wondering if it could be done the other way around).

Cheers,
Rip

actually to add to the above...it isn't just output set, navigation links are also set and these change per section.

$output = something
$links = some links
$top = imagelink

hope that makes more sense.

have a read of the brand new documentation...

3.4 - Is it possible to include my own PHP scripts in the templates?
    Yes. PunBB has a special replacement variable called pun_include for including scripts in the templates. For example, if you wanted to include a script called banner.php (located in the forum root directory) at the bottom of all forum pages, you would add the following to your template files:

<pun_include "banner.php">

The path to banner.php is relative to the forum root directory. PunBB will execute the script and the pun_include variable will be replaced by any output that the script produces. Please note that all included scripts have access to the PunBB variables, so if you e.g. wanted to access the database, you could use the $db object just like the rest of PunBB does. Replacement of the pun_include variable is the last thing that PunBB does when it outputs a page, so you don't have to worry about not using variable names that PunBB uses.

that might be useful too you

if you make the nav bar generators php files then include them... although i'm not really what you mean

Ah, thats what i do on my current set-up (ie, include my own php scripts).

What I want to do this time is the other way around..(ie, include punbb inside my own script/template). I have a feeling it may not be possible.

i'll try explain a simpler version (as my head is spinning trying to explain it so don't know how anyone else will figure it out).

Say i have a page consisting of two boxes. left and right.
left contains navigation.
right containts $output.

What I'd like is to fill variable $output with punbb. Ie, what you see on your browser when you look at viewforum for example will be stored in $output.  From that I can fit it easily into my set-up.

basically I'd like to pipe the output from viewforum.php (and all the other scripts) into $output.  (but then i guess you also run into problems with <head> and <body> tags).

ThinK i might have to re-think this.

yeh including punbb is very hard, including your site in main.tpl is easy wink