Topic: Avatar Remote Linking

In every other forum, I've turned off the "Upload Your Avatar" option to save webspace, but in PunBB, you can't.  Can someone work something up to be able to "Remote Link Your Avatar", so I can turn off uploading?

Re: Avatar Remote Linking

Search for "Use avatars" in admin/options.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I think he wants an option to allow remote linking of avatars aswell ...

Ah, ok. Then again, avatars hardly take up any space at all. In these forums for instance, people have uploaded a total of 295 avatars. These avatars take up just above 1 MB of disk space. The average avatar size is 3.6 kb.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

5 (edited by Frank H 2004-12-07 10:21)

(a sidenote, this viewtopic.php before my reply was just over 10kB ... compare that to Rickard and mine avatars, those are 2.8kB summed together, a small amount compared to the pages shown, + that the graphics usually are cached by the browser ... (and this topic is quite small, not much replies ... yet wink))

(Edit: with my reply it passed 12kB ... so one reply was about the same as those two avatars)

Indeed avatars don't take much space, but remote linking of avatars can be nice anyway. If you change your avatar, you just have to change it on your webspace, not on every single forum you visit. I use this option all the time, so I just have to upload my avatar once - the link remains the same, not the image.