Re: PunBB 1.2 Beta

Man, I had my head in a project and missed the beta release, and now there's already 6 pages of stuff to catch up on. Getting my hands on the beta now.

Might I add, while I install 1.2 beta, that I use vBulletin for another client's site (I have been working with PunBB since 1.01), and PunBB is getting really close to knocking vBulletin off its perch for pure simplicity and ease of use by users (a lot of my clients' users would be using forums for the first time ever). I am looking forward to user groups in this release, and I hope that the developers really get behind punBB and give it a real shot in the arm. Other scripts would have gone commercial ages ago, and Rickard has done an immense service to the community by maintaining the focus on the project. Paul's CSS looks real funky in the screenshots, so I'm looking forward to checking his work out too.

Paul wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

my forum had 1 topic 1 user and 2 posts i guess that means it uninteresting

Does the 2 posts include PunBB's welcome message

yeh and other other one was a reply to it sad

Would be great to be able to set display ranking within the Edit Forums page as well as outside in the Forums general management page . . . then I can set all that up in one operation rather than name and describe the forum, then pop out and go through the display setting - yeah, sometimes I'm non-linear when I am setting things up . . .

Otherwise it's looking squeaky clean - no issues to report yet.

Hi,
I have been running 1.5 on my site now for a while at www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk

I am completely upgrading the site and building it on the following domain www.richiepearce.co.uk . When the site is built I will swap the domains over. I have installed the beta version on the new site but have some design issues that I cannot resolve.

The old forum was quite simple to alter the main.tpl file but when I do the same with the beta version it is a disaster. Can someone have a look and advise me how I can correct this.

Excellent work with the forum by the way, keep up the good work.

Best Regards,

Richie

Richie: Are you in a desperate hurry. The reason I ask is I'm looking to do some testing to iron out site integration problems. Could you email me a copy of your main.tpl and the original site template you are working from?

Yes I can. I am hoping to make the site live in the next few days. I will mail them to you.

Great stuff. Something real to work on is alwyas easier than a hypothetical site. Naturally, I will email you back with the fixes in place.

Thanks Paul. I have mailed them to you.

160 (edited by andor 2004-12-07 23:23)

Small CSS glitch:

Forum view in Admin - multiple forums - only using Firefox 0.9.1 - not visible in IE 6.0.28 or Netscape 7.1

http://www.writewellwritenow.com/new-1.gif

andor: Thanks for the report. Since Firefox 1.0 has been released any versions prior to that are not supported on the basis they were just beta's. The css for forms has also been altered slightly since the beta was released and I can't duplicate the error with Firefox 1.0 so consider it fixed.

Man, am i behind the times - I'll get Firefox 1.0 now. Thanks.

Paul: very weird - did a total uninstall of old Firefox on main production machine, installed 1.0, still got CSS glitch as above. Checked with fresh install of Fox 1.0 on another production machine, no probs. Weird. Must be time for a major disk wipe on machine #1 . . . I'll test any other strangeness out on second machine before reporting from now on. Thanks.

tools -> options -> privacy -> cache clean or hold SHIFT and click on Reload.

did anyone see my post i made, its on the bottom of the 6th page....i dont think anyone saw it, link here

one quick question a friend of mine is doing all the mods and updating of my forum so i have to warn him in advance if i need him to mod something in the forum so here are my question ..

how close to the offical release is the beta

and

i allready got the ver1.1.5 modded with some of the mod that did come out will this affect the upgrading to ver1.2 (pun pool ,private message system ,name colour change ,etc...)

snapsolutions wrote:

tools -> options -> privacy -> cache clean or hold SHIFT and click on Reload.

Sorry, still glitched.. I still have this appearing after total reinstall of Firefox, and yes, I hunted down all associated folders in Documents and Settings/Application Data etc. as well as in the program setup folder. It's undoubtedly my local system . . .

andor wrote:

Small CSS glitch:

Forum view in Admin - multiple forums - only using Firefox 0.9.1 - not visible in IE 6.0.28 or Netscape 7.1

http://www.writewellwritenow.com/new-1.gif

i got the same glitch for the email section of admin options, but i refreshed and it disappeared (i run FF 1.0)

169 (edited by zaher 2004-12-08 09:52)

i uploaded my forum with frontpage ext.
must execlude folder started with"_vti" in lang when enum languages.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

andor wrote:

Would be great to be able to set display ranking within the Edit Forums page as well as outside in the Forums general management page . . . then I can set all that up in one operation rather than name and describe the forum, then pop out and go through the display setting - yeah, sometimes I'm non-linear when I am setting things up . . .

But isn't it easier to start by creating all the forums, setting up the display order on one page and then editing the forums one by one? I mean, in the edit forum form, it's quite difficult to get an idea of how that particular forum shoulde be positioned in relation to other forums in the same category.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

andor wrote:

Sorry, still glitched.. I still have this appearing after total reinstall of Firefox, and yes, I hunted down all associated folders in Documents and Settings/Application Data etc. as well as in the program setup folder. It's undoubtedly my local system . . .

Paul wrote:

The css for forms has also been altered slightly since the beta was released .... so consider it fixed

Gizzmo wrote:

did anyone see my post i made, its on the bottom of the 6th page....i dont think anyone saw it, link here

See the post by zodiki above yours on the same page and my answer.

Paul wrote:
andor wrote:

Paul wrote:

The css for forms has also been altered slightly since the beta was released .... so consider it fixed

ahh i misunderstood i thought you meant it was because it was not firefox 1.0 and that it would work in 1.0

Paul wrote:
Gizzmo wrote:

See the post by zodiki above yours on the same page and my answer.

ahh sorry about that paul,

175 (edited by andor 2004-12-08 21:44)

Rickard wrote:

But isn't it easier to start by creating all the forums, setting up the display order on one page and then editing the forums one by one? I mean, in the edit forum form, it's quite difficult to get an idea of how that particular forum shoulde be positioned in relation to other forums in the same category.

Please also note that I am not saying the display order should be taken away from where it is presently, just that it might be helpful if it was also duplicated in the edit forum page.

Pretty much I make the forum structure up in my head, I know where everything is going to go before I start, so the edit page is just facilitating the creation process. But there seems to be an extra step currently in place which could be streamlined.

Eg. Adding a forum to a category. That's one click. I can't name it before I do this, so to name it I have to go into Edit forum page anyway. That's another click. Either I set display order now, and go through another page refresh, or I have to do it after I have edited the forum and come back out again - either way its an extra page cycle.

If I was able to set display order on the edit forum page as well as on the forums page where it is now then I could save myself time setting things up - over 15 forums or so like I set up yesterday, that's 15 page refreshes.

Another approach would be to be able to name the forum on creating it/adding it to the category, which would save me from having to enter the Edit Forum page half the time (access defaults are OK for most public forums, and if I need to set special permissions then it's to be expected that I need to do some extra clicking), and I can set display position from the Forums page as it is at present. That would also save me an extra page refresh.

But it's a small thing. Congrats - very stable beta. Paul's got some funky CSS going on there - I'm learning heaps.