Topic: PunBB & PowerPortal Integration

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to publically release a port of punbb that would work with the PowerPortal system. I think that designing a forums system from scratch for a portal system is unreasonable because it just requires so much maintenance and updating that it simply would not be feasable for any one person to manage.

I am a fan of PunBB because its fast, not overly complicated, and is flexible. Could I legally release a PunBB port with PowerPortal? I would of course keep all of the copyrights and such.

Before jumping to a conclusion you should consider the advantages. It garentee that it would attract tons of new users to your forums system.

Thanks
John

http://powerportal.sourceforge.net

2 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2004-12-23 17:20)

Re: PunBB & PowerPortal Integration

i have been looking at PowerPortal for the last 2 days now and i like it, i like it alot. it seems pretty fast, even on my 56k. nice themes, good features. i hope that a punbb integration would be possible. i personally don't see any issues with that but i'm not in charge.

would it be a seamless integrtation? one user registration and the portal and forums could share info such as using the forums for a news posting area via: externnews or rss/xml feed or something.

have you considered submitting PowerPortal to www.opensourcecms.com?

ADITION: i really dig the instant messege feature.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

3 (edited by John2496 2004-12-23 19:19)

would it be a seamless integrtation? one user registration and the portal and forums could share info such as using the forums for a news posting area via: externnews or rss/xml feed or something.

Well here is the thing, I downloaded punbb, checked out the db structure. And we actually use a similiar db structure(ex: we both use some of the same table names and we both use the same logical method of naming fields[lowercase and underscores]).

Not exactly sure how seamless the integration would be. I don't want to go to an exteme with the integration> I really don't want to have to write thousands of lines of code for mod, just for a new version of punbb to come out in a week and be forced to rewrite everything from scratch.

Edit:

have you considered submitting PowerPortal to www.opensourcecms.com?

Yea, I've gotten emails from a few of those types of sites. They usually want you to fill out some long boring application. Unfortantely I haven't had the time to sit down and fully fill out one of these applications. hmm

Radek wrote a plugin to integrate PunBB with Blog:CMS and Nucleus.

Go here: http://nupusi.com/files/plugins/

There are 3 versions of it, 1.1.5, 1.2 and a 3.5.2 which is the latest for Blog:CMS but doesn't work with Nucleus.

The plugin does the following:
a) Creates a PunBB user when a user registers at Blog:CMS
b) Can create forum topics from blog posts
c) Can link to the forum topic from a blog post

At least you can see what has been done so far.

Thanks I'll take a look at those. But before I do I need to know if I can legally do this. I know forums systems such as openbb don't allow redistribution of any forum, so that pretty much closes it out from the cms market(and really limits their publicitiy, not even sure if anyone knows what openbb is anymore).

John,

Is PowerPortal GPL?

PowerPortal - PowerPortal is an advanced content management system powered by PHP & MySQL. PowerPortal comes preloaded with tons of add-ons including a tagboard, contact forms, poll, forums, private messaging, instant messaging, members list, links section, irc chat, ip banning, site stats, server stats, image gallery, and more. PowerPortal has a robust admin control panel that allows you to control all aspects of your site including theme, polls, advanced user logging and tracking, user management, user submissions, navigation, ip banning, news management, and much more!
Price: GPL

Source

I was just taking a look at PowerPortal. It was looking promising but then I saw this and nearly choked "Queries Used: 141" lol.

The HTML code produced is awful too...  it looks even worse than SPIP big_smile

From a markup and css perspective, integration would be a lot of hard work. The incomplete Doctype alone would make PunBB choke.