Topic: Redirect after logging in

Not sure if this is a bug. Feel free to move or delete if necessary.

If I browse your forum while not logged in and come accross something I want to post to I select login but am then redirected to the forum index page and not back to the page I was viewing.
I thought that in 1.1.* this was the case, though I may be mistaken.

I've been down so long it's beginning to look like up..

Re: Redirect after logging in

It works for me. Are you sure it's not some firewall/proxy thing that is stripping out your HTTP_REFERER?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I don't think so.
The reason I say this is if I log in on my own site it redirects me to whatever page I was viewing before logging in, but when I try the same on PunBB it always redirects me to the forum index (my site is running 1.1.5).

I have Norton IS installed but if this was causing the problem would it not do it on my site also?

If it was the typical NIS problem then wouldn't it actually prevent logging in rather than just making the redirct fail. It's always worth disabling NIS for a moment just to find out

it can also be worth disabling NIS permenantly tongue

Paul wrote:

If it was the typical NIS problem then wouldn't it actually prevent logging in rather than just making the redirct fail. It's always worth disabling NIS for a moment just to find out

I've just disabled NIS and it allowed me to log in and then redirected me to the page I was viewing (as it should).

So, that's obviously the reason but I'm not sure I would want NIS disabled all the time. I'm sure if I dig around in NIS settings/options there is a way to overcome this but, if someone else visited the site and was not aware of what should happen they would assume that being redirected to the index page was the norm.

Connorhd:
Were you serious?

yeh i have a serious dislike to all things Norton, but if you like it just ignore me wink

JohnS: Look at the bottom of this FAQ entry: http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq2_1

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

In fact you can disable the referrer blocking thing altogether, it's not doing anything useful in the first place.

I agree with connor regarding Norton/Symantec in general and NIS in particular. My preference is for Sygate Pro as a personal firewall.

you best firewall is going to be a decent router hardware firewalls beat software anyday

Actually, now that I don't have my Linux firewall/router anymore, I'm quite pleased with the firewall in Windows XP SP2.

12 (edited by JohnS 2005-01-15 21:59)

Rickard wrote:

JohnS: Look at the bottom of this FAQ entry: http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq2_1

Thanks Rickard

I've done that and all seems to be fine now.
Only thing now is, that for the short time I disabled NIS, eversince I get repeated warnings that defragfatx.exe is trying to access the internet.. but that's another problem.

BTW Rickard (off topic)
When are you going to stop teasing us and upload your news script?

Edit:
OK just saw your post and downloaded.

John: http://es.trendmicro-europe.com/enterpr … mp;VSect=O

Thanks Paul
I've got rid of the worm now!