1 (edited by khalido 2005-02-17 06:37)

Topic: Converting from IBP

I'm using IPB 2.0 and I want to 'upgrade' it to PunBB. (IPB is catching spam, and the updated versions are no longer free, so I have to upgrade).

I have IBP installed in /forums/. Is it possible to delete IBP from that directory and install PunBB there and then run the convertor? Or do I have to install PunBB in some other directory? I would like to keep punbb in /forums directory.

Also, I am using a shared mysql database for IBP with other applications. Will the convertor recoginze only the ibp table and convert that?
Secondly, does the convertor leave the IBP table as it is?

Re: Converting from IBP

Install PunBB into a different directory, run the converter, delete the IPB directory and then rename the PunBB directory to /forums.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

khalido wrote:

I'm using IPB 2.0 and I want to 'upgrade' it to PunBB.

I love how you said 'upgrade' big_smile

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Rickard wrote:

Install PunBB into a different directory, run the converter, delete the IPB directory and then rename the PunBB directory to /forums.

On installing punbb, it asks for the url of the forums - so when I rename the directory will that break something? Do I need to edit some configuration setting, or will index.php still work?

you can rename it then change the base url in admin options

I converted IBP to PunBB, and everything was transferred. However, most of the users were unable to login with their old passwords, and had to use the 'forgot password' link to have one emailed to them. It seems the passwords were lost in the conversion. Otherwise, for anyone else thinking to convert, punbb was so easy to integrate into my site that I was amazed, so hats off to the programmers! I have one feature request: Make it even easier to integrate by commenting the CSS file where the forum width is specified.

khalido: The password thing is a known "problem" when converting from IPB. IPB and PunBB use different hashing methods for passwords and thus, this annoyance is unavoidable.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."