Topic: upgrading to 1.2.1

Hey all wink

Just wanting to let you know debateroom.com is finally also going to upgrade to 1.2.1 next week!! Rickard and his team have done a great job on developing 1.2 and the new mods. So we gonna try it out!

Since Iam not experienced with php and upgrading forums, Im a little anxious to upgrade. Step 2 about deleting everything seems quite harsh lol. I have read the install and faq a few times now, seems to be a few easy steps, clean and simple. The main thing is to make a back up of the database and FTP files, if anything might go wrong.  I think (if everything goes well) we can upgrade from 1.1.5. to 1.2.1. with a downtime of about 15 to 30 minutes. First to 1.2.0 and inmediately afterwards to 1.2.1.

But I want all our users to know how and what, so would you correct me if Im wrong here?
1. Only the forum on our homepage will be down during upgrade, the searchengines will be up and running.
2. All current installed mods, styles and additions will be burried alive while upgrading.
3. After upgrade we have a fresh 'basic' punbb 1.2.1. without mods, with all included new features and styles.
4. All current posts and users are saved and transported to the new forum.
5. If anything goes wrong I can put everythin back to 1.1.5 by just uploading the old ftp files and upload the old database with PHPMyAdmin.

Thx for your reply!

Re: upgrading to 1.2.1

1. I have no idea how your site is setup, so I can't answer that. If the "search engine" is something unrelated to PunBB, then yes.
2. Yes. However, if those mods have made changes to the database, those changes will be left.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Great thx wink

1. Our forum runs in a I-frame in the main index.html. The search engines run in the same index.html, but are not related to the forum in any other way. So that means yes too!
2. The poll-mod and the PM-system have made changes to the database. You mean that is no big deal, except for some useless data being there? Maybe, if I know which rows to delete, I can delete them anytime in the databse with PHPMyAdmin?
3,4,5. Ok thx!

Just make a backup and try the upgrade. I'm sure it will work out even with the old PM and poll mods in the DB.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Alright thx... I quess your right.
Well give it a go on sunday. Ill let you know

for the new PM mod you just upgrade punbb, install the new PM mod but don't run the install_mod.php and it work fine

Very good! Thx Connor!

Hey guys, its done. We've got it to 1.2.2. PM system works to. Thx go to connor, rickard and m0j0 for helping out!
I already noticed the forum is FASTER then before! Superb

Cheers dark