Re: Mozilla Drops Support for International Domains

KTottE wrote:

When is 'j' ever pronounced like 'y' by the way? I've never encountered that, sounds weird smile

Also, esperanto will most likely develop regional dialects when it's usage reaches the levels that english has reached. Regional dialects are not a function of the language used, but by the mentality of people. And I don't think you will change that any time soon smile

J is y in my friend's name, "Jana" tongue  It's in a few other words too, but, as always, when I need an example, one never comes...ah well.

And I don't want to keep going with the 'dialects' argument, but, if people are educated in Esperanto, knowing how and when to use it (for example, you and I wouldn't use it with each other as we're both native speakers of English, but I'd use it with a Japanese native speaker), dialects won't develop.  Believe me on that - slang and strange usages occur only in natural languages.  Esperanto's been spoken since 1887 and it hasn't done this yet, and I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

If anyone is interested (you know, on the off chance tongue), http://www.esperanto.net has a lot of cool information.

I think I get interested in stuff too easily. I'm interested in Esperanto now, but with so many things to be interested in, I'm afraid I'll implode!

English is actually my second language smile

In that case, we should use Esperanto so you don't feel disadvantaged next to me, a native speaker of 19 years.  Although I must say, in written form your English is great!

Jameslicious wrote:

Esperanto belongs to no nation, has no cultural bias and is for everybody.  That is why they wouldn't see it as a parasite language.

You said youself that it "DOES kind of sound like Spanish/Italian" and that it "has a couple other letters with 'hats' on them, like the French do."
It has it's bias to french and Spanish instead, and s you say it does use that special character ^ that will make it really hard to gain popularity in USA. Also, English is already the international language, french people can moan all thay want, that's a fact. Maybe it isn't decided to be an international language, but the fact that it's used as one by people from all countries makes it so anyway.*

I think that if you would want an international language with easier gramatics it would be better to make a slight adjustment of english. Though I don't think it would have much better chance of gaining enough spread than esperanto do.

Oh I might add, that except for the fact that I think that the world already have decided, I also don't like neither the sound of esperanto or it's special character, so I'm a bit biased. smile

*Look at this forum for instance, even though the software is created by a Swedish person swedish is only allowed in one forum, while english is used for the main parts.

Rickard wrote:

I don't know, I just think it's stupid. The human obsession with speaking all these different languages just feels so "anti-evolutional". Imagine a world where we all spoke the same language and used the same currency.

It's called PayPal. cool

Wow, Jonex, you don't know what you're talking about smile  Read up on Esperanto first, okay?

1:  It sounds like Spanish/Italian due to the large concentration of vowel sounds.  There's no bias toward the Spanish/Italians.  AT ALL.
2:  Any computer in the world can type the accented characters.  The accented characters are there to give the language phoneticy, so instead of having two letters for one sound (like sh, which is a digraph, Esperanto has s with a hat on top).  It has nothing to do with French.
3:  First, it's grammar, not gramatics (which shows you how much you don't know about English and just how difficult it really is), and secondly, why English?  You yourself can't even speak it properly.

smile

The good thing about esperanto is that it's created from scratch. Any language that starts off as something else, such as making a slight adjustment to the english language, will inherit all of the problems that the language in question has.

And james, I don't feel disadvantaged next to you. The only thing that people really get stumped on is cultural differences. If I start talking about swedish celebrities, politicians and TV-shows you'll be sitting there wondering what the heck I'm on about. And if you start talking about australian (you said you were from Australia, right?) celebrities and politicians, I'm equally stumped.

It doesn't matter if we're discussing said items in english, swedish or esperanto, we still won't know what the other one is on about smile

Jameslicious wrote:

1:  It sounds like Spanish/Italian due to the large concentration of vowel sounds.  There's no bias toward the Spanish/Italians.  AT ALL.
2:  Any computer in the world can type the accented characters.  The accented characters are there to give the language phoneticy, so instead of having two letters for one sound (like sh, which is a digraph, Esperanto has s with a hat on top).  It has nothing to do with French.

I meant that amerians have problem to accept such languages(actually I find it hard to believe that they would accept any international language other than their own, but that it looks like french and sounds lkike spanish is definately not an advantage)

Jameslicious wrote:

3:  First, it's grammar, not gramatics (which shows you how much you don't know about English and just how difficult it really is),

Wich shows that my mother language are so similar that I someimes confuses words, in swedish it's "grammatik". Where I got the s from I have to idea though :)

Jameslicious wrote:

and secondly, why English?  You yourself can't even speak it properly.

I for sure write english better than I write esperanto, that's why. And I'm not the only one, most people know english better than esperanto.

I say like I do in the discussion about using MB or MiB, whether or not a chenge would be to prefer, people probably will not change.
If poeple would change, and most of americans used esperanto on the internet I'd not complain actually, just as I expect french people to conform to the norm that is english today. I'd myself comform to norm if it were esperanto.

Okay, Jonex.  You win, man smile

Oh, and by the way, it's 'gramatiko' in Esperanto.  'Gramatika' is 'grammatical', 'gramatike' is 'gramatically'.

And excellent point, KTottE, I certainly hear you on that.  I just meant when it comes to having an accent, rapid-fire fluent speech, stumbling/stuttering, mixing verb forms, etc.

Settle down people smile

Jameslicious: Since you speak Esperanto, perhaps you could help this guy out? I would love to have PunBB in that language smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard - no joke, I just started my own translation yesterday (without seeing this guy first).  I'd love to collaborate on something like this.  After all, ju pli da homoj, des pli bona (the more people, the better)

smile