1 (edited by lament 2005-02-24 10:42)

Topic: CSS Win IE fix breaks IE6 text size

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet (or maybe they have).

/* IEWin Font Size only - to allow IEWin to zoom. Do not remove comments \*/
HTML .pun {FONT-SIZE: 68.75%}
/* End IE Win Font Size */

makes the text in IE 6 PC (WinXP SP2) illegible.

Here's a screenshot.

I had to comment it out. And changing the text size from Medium to anything else does nothing with that "fix" in.

Anyone else notice that?

of course I use Firefox but I just happened to check it out in IE.

oh and I should've posted this in bugs.. please move.  my bad.

Re: CSS Win IE fix breaks IE6 text size

Looks perfectly fine for me...

The only reason that would cause problems in IE is if somebody sets a font-size on body or a containing div and doesn't make a compensating adjustment in the stylesheet. The setting of 68.75% assumes body will be the default size of 16px and no font-sizes will be set on any containers.

In your case you have set a font-size of 11px on #container so IE is giving you 68.75% of 11px. Since your setup will prevent text sizing in IE anyway you can just remove the special size for IE alltogether. IE will then simply get the same 11px setting as Firefox and Opera.

That's also how it looks if you for some reason decrease the font size in IE to minimum.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

True but it looks that way in Firefox as well if you zoom out rather than in.

Paul wrote:

The only reason that would cause problems in IE is if somebody sets a font-size on body or a containing div and doesn't make a compensating adjustment in the stylesheet. The setting of 68.75% assumes body will be the default size of 16px and no font-sizes will be set on any containers.

In your case you have set a font-size of 11px on #container so IE is giving you 68.75% of 11px. Since your setup will prevent text sizing in IE anyway you can just remove the special size for IE alltogether. IE will then simply get the same 11px setting as Firefox and Opera.

I should've known.  smile  Yeah as I said I commented it out.  Thanks Paul!