Topic: Converting from punBB

I have used PunBB for a time now, and it was great. Now I'm updating my site with a content manager system, and it was too difficult to intergrate with PunBB. I've heard that phpBB was a lot easier to intergrate, so I will have to convert from PunBB to phpBB. My question is - can I use the converter in the download-page to convert from punBB, or just to punBB? What should I do? Thanks.

Re: Converting from punBB

No.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

What? Can't I change from PunBB? Am I bound to use PunBB forever?
What should I do?

I will still use PunBB, but not on this site. I need to change to phpBB to make the intergration. But is it impossible to convert to phpBB from PunBB?

Suggestions are very welcome.

Not impossible, but you'd have to write a coverter to change your database.

Rickard wrote:

Posting a PunBB -> IPB converter here would be like Microsoft posting a Windows -> Linux migration tool on their website smile

Why don't you ask the folks over at phpBB to make a converter for you?

Andorin, what CMS are you going to use?

hcgtv wrote:

Andorin, what CMS are you going to use?

Mambo Open Source.

Olle, mentioned his intent to create a Mambo to PunBB bridge:
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4231

If enough people show interest and post on his site, he may decide it's time to code it smile

I don't have time to wait anymore. The new version of my site has been delayed in weeks now.
The phpBB-people did not have any converters. I don't have a clue about what to do now - exept re-installing my forum and loose all members and posts... But there is a converter from phpBB to PunBB, would it be that hard to just.. make the opposite something? Ehh. Is it hard to make a converter? I have no ideas.. I'm stuck. Please help if you know what to do!

Andorin, got a link to your site?

Since you already had an active PunBB forum, when you went shopping for a CMS, didn't that have any bearing?

On Mambo, the most integrated forum is simpleboard, maybe they have a converter?

why do you want to use mambo?

You could just convert to one system that allows conversion from punBB and then to phpBB.
Like a punBB > IPB > phpBB.

But, I wouldn't recommend leaving this place. It's too bootiful!
Don't worry so much about integration. Think ease of use.

This is about as good as you're going to get. The only better board than punBB is in German. And, they haven't done any work on it for around a year.

erissiva wrote:

This is about as good as you're going to get. The only better board than punBB is in German. And, they haven't done any work on it for around a year.

Care to give the details.  Maybe they have something that could be useful.

I used to have a normal site in html, without portal-system. I did not update it in a couple of months, and it sort of died. Now I want to update the site with new stuff to increase acitivity and interest. Content managers also is better, because they have more functions. I found Mambo, and it is very flexible, the best cms I've ever tried. Intergration is very important, so members don't have to register both at the site and the forum. The forum will also gain more members when people register at the site to get acces to downloads, special articles, etc.
The problem is, I'm not very good at intergrating or fixing php-things myself. I tried alone to intergrate punBB with Mambo, but I had huge problems - then I found out that phpBB was easier to intergrate, and more people had done a Mambo->PhpBB.

I don't want something like Simpleboard, actually I hate it. PunBB is my favorite, but phpBB is also good.

erissiva: I looked for a IPB convertor, but did not find anything. Do you got a link?

I am starting to give this up. My last way out might be to re-install the forum (and say good-bye to all posts and members) and then intergrate with Mambo.

I have looked at other cms's too, but Mambo is my favorite. I think it's great, and I would like to continue using it.

Right now, my plan is to convert to phpBB and get the intergration done (it is said to be pretty easy, and more people have already done it), then if someone get the PunBB->Mambo done, I will switch back to PunBB.

This forum is great, and I'll stick around even if I change to phpBB, because I am using it on a other site.

hcgtv: The link to my mambo site is www.spilldev.net/index.php (The design is horrible right now, I am learning css/div for the first time tongue)

Thanks a lot for help!

Paul wrote:
erissiva wrote:

Maybe he's referring to Unclassified NewsBoard, although their site seems to be in English, and I haven't used it.

Andorin wrote:

hcgtv: The link to my mambo site is www.spilldev.net/index.php (The design is horrible right now, I am learning css/div for the first time tongue)

Here goes my suggestion:

a) Leave PunBB running, you have a lot of posts and the forum seems alive with action. Closing it out and losing posts will kill your community.

b) Continue working on the front end, just use it as a CMS, nobody needs to sign onto the front end unless you plan on having people contribute content.

c) You can easily feed info from the forum over to Mambo as php includes, like latest posts, etc.

d) Install the phpBB forum and try it out first, see how the integration works.

e) Get in on the campaign to get PunBB integrated with Mambo.

I need to get the intergration, it's a must for the new site. If I manage to intergrate phpBB succesfully with Mambo, I will do it - even if I can't convert from PunBB and keep all members. Converting from phpBB to PunBB was easy, so if intergratoin with Mambo and PunBB is done sometime, I will come back.

By the way, does it exist any converters that convert PunBB to a other system? I haven't found it. So when someone install punBB, it's [b]impossible[/i] to change later?

its impossible unless someone makes a convertor but punbb supporters won't tongue

Paul wrote:
erissiva wrote:

*lol* I'm not so sure...That's like advertising for the enemy.
Actually, I'm working on an English version myself (yes, using a punBB board as my medium of communications. Ironic?)
The funniest part is that I'll continue using a punBB board after I finish the project. That's because I don't fully understand all the faults and such that could be in this other software.

Right now I'm just trying to translate it and make it markup valid. I might post some info about it later. Plus, I make announcements about it from time to time on my website.

graue - Nah...I was never really impressed by their product...

You should give us a link to this supposedly superior board so we can supply long lists of reasons why PunBB is actually still the best.

graue wrote:

You should give us a link to this supposedly superior board so we can supply long lists of reasons why PunBB is actually still the best.

Well, it's not so much that I think that they are better now - They're obviously not. Because, if they were, I would be using their software.
It's that I think they could be. The potential is great, it just seems that no one gives a flying flip.

If it bugs you so-

ThWboard

The sea of nested tables in that forum's markup is likely to win few converts. smile

I don't quite get it... Why does it have the potential to be better?

23 (edited by Jonex 2005-02-25 19:45)

graue wrote:

Well, it doesn't have to be better, maybe it is just different.
After all, PunBB is made to have less features. If you want stuff like PM-system and Polls PunBB is easily defeated by many other forums. If you want good code and speed PunBB is among the best. I'd like it to be both(wich isn't impossible if you just take the time and don't rush it) but I'm not the one in charge.

BTW: A good idea is to not use a forum wich you are locked into, I'm gonna use PhpBB partly for that reason, there's converters to almost any forum.

I thought that was probably the one you meant. It's the only fully featured board I've seen which is in the same league as PunBB for speed and could even be faster though I can't quite work out how.

Jonex: Converters are made because people want to leave a forum, when there's a demand for them tongue