Topic: similar nicks

how i can to forbid registration nicks, which differ for example in one letter, or if some letters in nick are used from the other languages, but very similar.

Re: similar nicks

In the agreement text they read when registering add: Registration nicks, which differ for example in one letter, or if some letters in nick are used from the other languages, but very similar to a currenttly used nick are forbidden and are insta-banned upon notice.

Wasn't hard was it?
tongue wink

heh... i would like to automatic this proccess! for example, doubled nicks don't register anyway. i would like to see something like that with similar nicks...

4 (edited by Jonex 2005-02-26 22:58)

Illukman wrote:

heh... i would like to automatic this proccess! for example, doubled nicks don't register anyway. i would like to see something like that with similar nicks...

Well, have you tried to edit register.php?
Check row 128, that seems to be the right place to edit.
Though I'd guess that it'd take some extra time if you would have to check every similar combination possible, I'm not very good at SQL so I don't know if there are any tricks that'd make it faster.

*do still believe that the rule->ban version is easiest*

The hard part of avoiding similar nicks are checking for similar looking letters. An example would be the non-ascii 'C' used in the username of my evil twin ?odeDuck. The problem is making the look-up table, it is quite a bit of work considering the huge number of unicode chars. But if you are up for it I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate you work as it would make a lot harder to spoof identities.