1 (edited by Raf 2003-10-19 19:27)

Topic: punBB Portal

Hey everyone,

I just got a really good idea that maybe all the developers out there could do. I was thinking about making a portal with punBB implemented into it sort of like the other ones out there with other forums. If any of you are interested in helping that would be great. This project will turn out good I hope. smile Post in this forum if any of you are interested.

Re: punBB Portal

Like PunBB Resource?

No, a portal like these for phpbb: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17699

I think it's a great idea btw :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Are we talking about a bespoke portal for PunBB or a PunBB module for PHPNuke, PHPWebsite etc.

If the former a good place to start might be to have a look at the lite portal that now ships with Invision Board. Personally I would have thought that a PunBB module for an existing portal is a better solution since it would promote PunBB among the huge number of existing Nukers.

I would like a portal for punbb which is a bit like the front page of this site... but with polls etc. smile

Aha.. now I get it wink

Just realised there might be a problem incorporating PunBB into an exsting portal, namely that most/all of them use sessions.

I like this forum, it's so fast considering it's hosted on the PII 450.

The very light weight portal should be a agreat add on. I meant no need of too many options, the same as forum, it should be as simple as possible. Poll is okay to have, and there are comments, may be printable version and that's all we need.

Will the simple portal like that will ever come out? Or is there anyway to integrate with the  existing news script like cutephp.com? It'd be great.

So, the idea is great, who will start??????

10 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-02-03 05:44)

I've mixed feelings about a PunBB portal derivative. While it might help someone launch a site quicker, would you really want a full CMS? Outside of perhaps an FAQ page, a weblog/news page and perhaps polls, what would you really need from PHPNuke?

Perhaps a modified weblog/news page based on a PunBB forum might be useful, but there are so many others out there that already support trackbacks/linkbacks that it would make a PunBB one useless.

Why not just link together an existing FAQ page and PHP polling script with b2 or Movable Type (for news/blogs) and integrate the design with PunBB ... If you needed a full CMS with article posting and comments, then just use one. But then it depends on the topic and goals of your website and the purpose of your forums/CMS.

I think a simple thing to do would just to have a single php page, drawing posts from a certain forum - e.g. news, with links on left and latest posts on right. The file would only be about 20-30 kb, much smaller than any portal/cms. Alternatively, multiple pages could be used, with links/settings in different files for ease of modifying.

Could somebody please tell me how to do the following - all i want to do is include the header/footer, without getting parse errors. Basically, so that I get the top part of punbb and the bottom part of it, with my own content in the middle. Please?

Is this Pun Portal idea going forward?  I find it rather interesting.  There doesn't semm to be the equivalent of punBB for CMS around.

Hi all,
I think a portal would be a cool idea. I got fed up with all the "bloat" out there and started working on my own a while back (http://phpmywebthing.com), but got major sidetrack by morphing it into phpCOIN. Having passed that on (but retained code rights), I'm back to phpmywebthing (and morphing phpcoin back into it where applicable). I love Punbb for all the reasons I started writing my own, in fact with just a few color tweaks to match my home site, it blends in real nice...

As I noted- portal would be a neat thing. But I think few have succesfully done an all in one....perhaps a companion CMS-Lite that just played well with PunBB (same user tables, shared code libraries, etc...), then neither would suffer....

Perhaps even a set of API's that could help integrate with another program....

...would be interesting to see devs develope a standard "User" system, like PEAR or something so that all could adopt a standard and half the battle would be over....

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

I agree. A "companion" application would be very cool. Anyone feel up to the task?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

PHP-Nuke sucks!

I'd like to see a functioning portal system with PunBB, it's damn lightning fast ;)
Something similiar to VBPortal..
Can you display page generation time and queries used just out of curiousity?

Thanks

Someboday wrote:

Can you display page generation time and queries used just out of curiousity?

Thanks

Sure. Just enable DEBUG mode.

A simple addon with that is modulary built so you can choose which components to implement. Like news, download, poll. This is all handled from a singel file. This solution gives the users alot of freedom. I would happily do it if my php skills were better.

Anybody think about Textpattern? Dean uses TXP and PunBB and maybe he is working (or maybe someone could work) on a plugin or some integration between the two software.

They are both lightweight programs and work great for their "target".

Just a thought.

I'm a candidate for some type of integration software between punBB and a simple news system and perhaps a few other simple modules. I would love to see this added into punBB but that doesn't seem likely. I hope someone is working on this. If i knew enough to help I would, but as I am, I'd be dangerous since I have been known to garble php code just by close proximity to a computer which is turned on.

An alternative would be an integration script with an existing news system or CMS which lacks a forum module.

oliver wrote:

I'm a candidate for some type of integration software between punBB and a simple news system and perhaps a few other simple modules.

Check this out: http://hcgtv.org

Hi.. was this idea ever pursued?  -- a portal based on PunBB or some sort of app that would integrate  a CMS like Textpattern with the magic of punBB?  i would looooooove to see this.  i'm exploring various other options (portals like Drupal, e107, etc.) right now but the more I think about it, the more I think the ideal would be a portaled PunBB or something very like it.

alcison- Apparently, ConnorHD has been working on a MiniPortal.
It should be released within time.

Right now it's only for 1.1.5:
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5044

thanks erissiva smile

I used a simple mod  for phpbb2 that I had modded heavily before abandoning it called Blender Portal. It could be easily adapted to our needs, and the way it implimented blocks was genius. Any stand alone script in the /blocks directory could be used as a side block, so no adapting a script to work with the portal. Any script already worked, and you could still blocks from phpnuke, etc.

I might tackle it, but here is the basic design if someone wants to start:

portal.php

create DB table PAGES
with fields "html code" "Page title" "Page description" "Keywords" "Unique ID"

call pages in this form portal.php?page=Unique ID

when page loads, call database, get page info, replace title, desc, and keywords in headers and replace html block from portal template

That would be a basic portal minus the admin page you have to create, then you have to impliment blocks, etc.  If someone who has done plugins or mods for punbb wants to work with me, we could knock out a rough version pretty quickly.

Max