Topic: Does this color scheme work?

http://profile.zc923.homeip.net

It's the basic wordpress template, but I've changed the colors around a bit, and was wondering if it looks alright. I'm planning to create a punbb color scheme aswell.

Feedback is appricated.

Do, or do not.

Re: Does this color scheme work?

I'm afraid that color scheme sucks a bit. I'm not a designer, so I can't tell you exactly why... but it needs improving.

Here's my best effort at explaining why I don't like it: the contrast between the black and white backgrounds is too much, and the blue text in the main body doesn't stick out enough. Hope that helps.

Well, in the sence of ease of reading, I'd rather stare at a black background and white text then stare at light bulb.

Do, or do not.

i think it looks nice cept for the white BG on the menu area, change that to something and im sure it will look great.

Is that better?

Do, or do not.

i think u should have white bg and black text..

Gizzmo wrote:

i think it looks nice cept for the white BG on the menu area, change that to something and im sure it will look great.

Now that I have changed it, I think I liked the white background better, for the menu atleast.

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:
Gizzmo wrote:

Now that I have changed it, I think I liked the white background better, for the menu atleast.

I like the contrast, but the blue throws it off...

Try using this tool:

http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

It should help you chose a good sheme.

Thanks for the site. I found other templates other then the wp-classic to work off of. This any better?

Do, or do not.

i would suggest not to have white on black, and that the blue writing is a little too dark

Inverted the black and white. Changed blue to a lighter blue, and made main page bg darker blue.

Do, or do not.

smile thats alot easier on the eyes, maybe try a really light grey or blue (e.g. #EFF8FF ) instead of the white background

Wow, that helped a lot. Thanks.

Now, the css validates fine, but the page itself refuses to validate. Help would be appricated with that.

Do, or do not.

Wow, it looks really nice now. I'll remember to post on the PunBB forums if I ever have trouble making a decent color scheme.

If you take a look at the validator output, it tells you the exact problem (in this case: you have <li>s that aren't inside <ol>s or <ul>s).

Well, when I do put in ols or uls, it throws the whole side bar off, well, the text atleast.

Do, or do not.

Why are you even using <li> there at all if you don't want a bulleted list? Just do it the old fashioned way:

<p>Line 1<br />
Line 2<br />
etc<br />
Line N</p>

Woah...Love the new template.
So clean and professional.
Good choice. wink

Lets walk throught the errors...Shall we?

Line 41, column 4: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag

You have a list item without starting a list using the <ol> or <ul> tags...(as graue said...)

Actually....If you just change that part and this line:

<li><a href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank">Valid XHTML 1.0</a></li>

by removing the "target='_blank'", your page will be XTML 1.0 Strict, which is better.

18 (edited by zc923 2005-03-06 12:07)

Ok, heres what I have done, as of yet. I removed the target=blank, (suprised I did not notice them), and created a new div class with the same properties, got rid of the li, and placed them under the div. But, I can only figure out how to do that for the last 5. The other 14 are writter dynamicaly, and I have no idea where to begin looking for where it writes it? Any ideas?

<h3>news:</h3>
<?php wp_get_links(1); ?>
<h3>friends</h3>
<?php wp_get_links(3); ?>
Do, or do not.

instead of making li divs just put <ul> before and </ul> below?

20 (edited by zc923 2005-03-06 12:32)

Connorhd wrote:

That throws the text out of alignment; it indents it, which I do not want.

Archive text generation code found in wp-includes/template-functions-links.php

Do, or do not.

Connorhd wrote:

I should of thought of this earlier. I just went back and defined padding-left and it worked. I'm an idiot. It validates, thanks guys.

Do, or do not.

btw you may as well change it to strict smile

I was planning on doing so. Thanks for reminding me.

Do, or do not.