Re: Style feedback wanted :)

Paul wrote:

CodeXP: Do you mind if I have a bash at doing a simplified version of this using your graphics?

Absolutely not, go right ahead smile I'm sure there are several parts of it that could be a little more optimized..

Paul wrote:

CodeXP: Do you mind if I have a bash at doing a simplified version of this using your graphics?

Oh, my gosh...That would be splendiferous!
*dr00l*

i just had a go at this even though i'm really bad at css, and by adding 8 extra divs i could just about make a fluid layout (except it made IE scroll hmm)

Connorhd wrote:

i just had a go at this even though i'm really bad at css, and by adding 8 extra divs i could just about make a fluid layout (except it made IE scroll hmm)

You should be able to do it with 4 hooks for the background images. If you want rounded corners then you will need 6 big_smile. You do have to change the graphics though.

Man, this is really cool.  I can't wait to see what comes of this.

!!!

31 (edited by CodeXP 2005-02-27 01:07)

Well, I've fixed up a little of the style. It's still using tables for the drop shadow, but everything is controlled trough the CSS. Also, it's now possible to use a variable width without messing up the layout smile

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, I fixed the problem you'd encounter if your forum was located it a subdirectory. I just have to zip it up, and I'll replace the orginal archive I posted earlier with the updated file.

New file uploaded. [Link]

CodeXP wrote:

Well, I've fixed up a little of the style. It's still using tables for the drop shadow, but everything is controlled trough the CSS. Also, it's now possible to use a variable width without messing up the layout smile

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, I fixed the problem you'd encounter if your forum was located it a subdirectory. I just have to zip it up, and I'll replace the orginal archive I posted earlier with the updated file.

New file uploaded. [Link]

Awesome...
/me sits down to make different versions...

Just thought I'd post a little update on this. I've made a little mod to work around the fact that you need to change the *.tpl files now smile Check of [this post] for details.

I did figure out an easy way of duplicating the style with only one extra div.

1. Make the top and bottom shadows full width graphics including the corners.
2. Add the left and right shadows onto the main background graphic
3. Set the top shadow as the background to #punwrap
4. Set the main background as the background to .pun set to repeat vertically
5. Add an extra empty div between the closing divs of .pun and #punwrap and use the bottom shadow as its background.
6. Set the appropriate padding on .pun
7. Set the appropriate width to match the graphics on #punwrap

The extra div doesnt cause any problems with other styles because its empty.

Paul wrote:

I did figure out an easy way of duplicating the style with only one extra div.

1. Make the top and bottom shadows full width graphics including the corners.
2. Add the left and right shadows onto the main background graphic
3. Set the top shadow as the background to #punwrap
4. Set the main background as the background to .pun set to repeat vertically
5. Add an extra empty div between the closing divs of .pun and #punwrap and use the bottom shadow as its background.
6. Set the appropriate padding on .pun
7. Set the appropriate width to match the graphics on #punwrap

The extra div doesnt cause any problems with other styles because its empty.

interesting...I just might have to test that smile Although, by using my little mod you can have as many independant *.tpl files as you want, and do whatever you want with them without affecting *anything* in the other styles, so it's not really that important for me if the extra div causes problems or not wink

I've been using something very similar to your mod for quite a while but it didn't make it into the default PunBB installation.  It is still preferable though if stylesheets work without your mod as not everybody is going to want to install it.

37 (edited by CodeXP 2005-02-27 18:33)

Paul wrote:

I've been using something very similar to your mod for quite a while but it didn't make it into the default PunBB installation.  It is still preferable though if stylesheets work without your mod as not everybody is going to want to install it.

That's true.. I'd like to see something like this mod integrated into the default PunBB release, considering that it will help out a lot when creating styles/themes smile

I took a look at the tweaks you posted, and even though it does work it still restricts you to a fixed width.. Personally, I prefer that but I'm sure there are those that want to use a relative width instead. I've replaced the original archive with a updated version that does allow you to use a relative width without breaking the shadow effect. It still uses the table layout though... I just found it incredible difficult making it work with just DIV's... sad

Finally got the chance to install the layout: http://hcgtv.net

Have you thought of doing different color variations of it?

So, i read this whole topic.

1) This style is AWESOME! Great job.
2) Did you, or did you not get it working without the scrolling?

Im gonna try it, none the less

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Looks excellent

Gary13579 wrote:

Nevermind, I got it working like I wanted it to big_smile

Indocron

hcgtv wrote:

Finally got the chance to install the layout: http://hcgtv.net

Have you thought of doing different color variations of it?

Hmm...that's not a bad idea smile When I get the time, I may very well make a few... Any suggestions on colors schemes?

Gary13579 wrote:

Thanks smile Happy to hear you got it working!

CodeXP wrote:

Hmm...that's not a bad idea smile When I get the time, I may very well make a few... Any suggestions on colors schemes?

I don't know, maybe the basic red, green and blue variations.

44 (edited by pen 2005-03-11 14:14)

im actually more intrested in that gallery smile

EDIT: yeah, its an awsome theme indeed

pen wrote:

im actually more intrested in that gallery smile

EDIT: yeah, its an awsome theme indeed

Still working on it (the gallery) wink It works just fine now, but I need to get the admin plugin done + add a upload/delete feature. Right now, you just upload the images to a folder using FTP..

No! I accidently deleted this style when I was upgrading my forums, and now I dont have it. I tried the download, but i get a 403 error.

Does anyone have this tyle, and is willing to zip it up, upload it, and post it here?

Indocron

Here you go, I'm a packrat smile

http://nupusi.net/files/index.php?path=skins%2Fpunbb/

Awesome, thanks big_smile

I also love that file index thing. I might try it

Indocron

Gary13579 wrote:

No! I accidently deleted this style when I was upgrading my forums, and now I dont have it. I tried the download, but i get a 403 error.

Does anyone have this tyle, and is willing to zip it up, upload it, and post it here?

Oops, sorry about that.. I forgot to exclude that directory from my .htaccess hotlink protection wink It's fixed now.

This is awesome work.

Please don't take this as a criticism, because I have nothing but respect for the work you've done here, but that said...

How come all forums look the same? Why are we all stuck in the same box?

The current incarnation of my site is typical blah forum. The punbb version under development is something altogether different. Rickard, Paul, if you want to see something a little different, email me. I appreciate the work that goes into something like this, and want to share back what I've gained, but it's not ready for public consumption yet.

~m~