Topic: King Design forums

I've implemented PunBB for the forums on my business site. The implementation is fairly vanilla on the surface, stock install with my Active Topics mod and RSS mod, and a little code syntax highlighting addition.

However there is a little more complexity below the surface. I'm actually sharing the same user and post data from my alexking.org forums.

For anyone interested in more in-depth details, check out my blog:

http://www.alexking.org/blog/2005/03/15 … tegration/
http://www.alexking.org/blog/2005/03/16 … ge-forums/

Re: King Design forums

I really like it. Better probably than my own design. Would you mind sharing the two css files?

Sorry, the site design isn't available for use by others.

Oh, that's nice. Why even post something like this if you're going to hoard it? Geez.

The design isn't available but I've published the mods. I thought seeing them implemented might be useful to someone. Also, I thought people might be interested in reading about how to run two PunBB installs off the same database in case somenoe runs into a similar situation I had.

running 2 installed from the same database is easy isn't it? just use different prefixes

7 (edited by alexkingorg 2005-03-17 06:58)

Sorry, I tried to make it clear in the initial post. I didn't do two installs into the same database, I'm actually using the same user and post data on both sites, but with different config data.

I split my forums and moved some from alexking.org to kingdesign.net. However, I didn't want my users to have to register again or maintain a separate profile on both sites, so sharing the data seemed like a good solution. The first blog post link in the original post describes this in depth.

Very nicely done Alex. It looks great. I'm glad it worked out smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Very good smile

alexkingorg wrote:

Sorry, I tried to make it clear in the initial post. I didn't do two installs into the same database, I'm actually using the same user and post data on both sites, but with different config data.

I split my forums and moved some from alexking.org to kingdesign.net. However, I didn't want my users to have to register again or maintain a separate profile on both sites, so sharing the data seemed like a good solution. The first blog post link in the original post describes this in depth.

ahh nice i think some people will find that useful smile