Topic: PunBB 1.2.4

It's that time again. I had hoped to not have to release an update for a while, but security in web applications is a tricky thing. Nevertheless, I'm happy to announce the release of PunBB 1.2.4. This release has been made to remedy a few security vulnerabilities (primarily an XSS bug in profile.php) as well as fix a few minor glitches and annoyances.

Thanks to smartys for reporting most of the bugs fixed in this release and for reporting security vulnerabilities directly to me AND giving me due time to fix/release. I wish I could say the same regarding some of the other bugs. If you find a vulnerability in PunBB, please e-mail it to me. Posting it directly to various "security bulletins" only makes life more difficult for me and for all PunBB users. I have no problem with PunBB vulnerabilities showing up on e.g. Bugtraq, but only if there is a bugfix release available at the time it is posted.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.2.4

Upgrading time, goodie smile
btw Rickard: I just did some looking up on the bug tracking sites. It seems John Gumbell deserves the credit for the profile.php bug and null activation keys, he found it in 1.2.1 wink

Which profile.php bug?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by Smartys 2005-03-18 23:16)

The one that allowed you to set a user's password to '' or NULL, can't remember which

http://seclists.org/lists/bugtraq/2005/Feb/0499.html

A remote attacker without an account can set the password
of any user on the system to NULL, effectivley shuting
them out of the system.

Very interesting combo that made (with the other one in profile.php he posted there)

Is it safe to overwrite the new style/oxygen.css and oxygen_cs.css files with the old ones from version 1.23?

I always have to ask about these file with each update. Is there a way for me to find out on my own?

6 (edited by Smartys 2005-03-18 23:34)

Compare the files in some manner?
(I don't think there were CSS changes for this version)

Lemme check something...

Edit: It appears that if you download the "changed files only" and there's a stylesheet there, there was a change smile

there are no css changes you can check the hdiff on the download page

Mmm, that too

oh no and me who had just finish reinstalling all the mods

hdiffs are wonderful for that case tongue

Oh, Rickard: you might want to word the announcement box a little differently. It's been the same since 1.2.2 and, frankly, if I didn't have an account and were just checking, I might miss it tongue

Smartys wrote:

hdiffs are wonderful for that case tongue

yeah i guess ill go true but i prefer those txt file that you open up and it says "open blahblah.php", "go to line 111", "after add line of code" cuz those hdiff page are often bugging me with there huge width

do you have the changeset for 1.2.4?

wow there was less to change then i tought thx for the good work there Rickard

I cry ....

Waiting 1.3 ...

smile

dont cry whe are all waiting well actualy i am quite interested at seeing v29.3 lol

Forgive me if this is a stupid question...

But right now I am running version PunBB 1.2.2 - I want to upgrade to 1.2.4, but I have a lot of mods that I dont want to overwrite. So I am going to manually do the changes with the information from the Hdiff file.... My question is this:

Do I first need to follow the changes from 1.2.2 > 1.2.3? Or can I just skip straight to the Hdiff file for 1.2.4? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I just dont want to do any work that doesnt need to be done.

Thanks

FREE web hosting: www.subnixus.com

I'd compare 1.2.4 with your modded version and make changes as necessary.

subigo: Just use the 1.2.2 to 1.2.4 hdiff or patch. You can find it in the hdiff directory by browsing the download archive.

Smartys: You were right about the profile.php bug. I must have forgotten about it in 1.2.2 and 1.2.3. Very strange. Oh well, it's closed now smile

And for 1.3? (I'm using it) how can I downgrade from 1.3 to 1.2.4?

Sorry for my french english.
GT4 Club driver France & Forum - Lingerie.

Romulald: You can't. Well, you can, but you'd have to do it manually. PunBB 1.3 hasn't even been released.

Rickard wrote:

PunBB 1.3 hasn't even been released.

I was looking at the timeline: http://dev.punbb.org/timeline

How can we tell what made it into 1.2.4 and what's still waiting on 1.3?

hcgtv: Clicking at the individual changesets reveals whether they are applied to trunk (1.2.*) or the 1.3 branch.

wow, v1.2.4 already!!! couldn't believe that. Anyway, I am a new PunBB user. I migrate from phpBB to PunBB and have v1.2.2. I decided to upgrade my v1.2.2 to 1.2.4 but I am getting confused here. Will I lost my members if I upgrade the older version without backup? Jeee:) please, don't laugh at me I am new in PunBB world.