Topic: New Plugin Idea [Check for Bogus Email Accounts]

We all know what it's like when a user registers to your board, only with the intention of trying to leach users/profiles, or just try to do nasty things in general. [aka script kiddies and spammers]

Occasionally, these people will register to the board using a 'good' email address, just to get the validation email notification, and once they log in immediately change their email address to a bogus one in their profile.

I wonder if it's possible to write a plugin that;

a) loops through all users on your board, and verifies their email address [whatever method is accurate and works; eg: mx]

b) loops through only x number of iterations at a time, to prevent server load and potential time outs using php

c) Gives a display of each address, with user name, as it loops - this could be either set by the Admin the number of iterations [such as 20-50 at a time for example], through paging

d) Once the Plugin is finished checking addresses, it displays a list of potential 'Bad' Email addresses, and armed with this info the Admin could choose to delete that persons account directly [via a link], or;

e) Be able to either Email [to check/manually verify address] or PM that user to let them know they need to use a valid email address.

I recognize this would be something you would want to do late at night when there wasn't much traffic, but in my view this would be a great Admin tool for those who fight this kind of behaviour.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your consideration!

Re: New Plugin Idea [Check for Bogus Email Accounts]

You can't change to a bogus e-mail address after registering. You need to confirm that the new e-mail address is valid by clicking an "activation" link in an e-mail that is sent out to the new address.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I know that.

What I want to do is have the plugin *check* for bogus addresses, and allow me to *delete* that persons account if it is proven to be bogus [by further testing, manually, or otherwise].

Also, read my description.  smile

I know a user validates their account by having an email sent to them.  That is what I'm referring to - they use a valid account to 'get in' and validate the registration process, but come back and edit their profile with a bogus email address, after-the-fact.

The only way you would know them doing so assumes they would post and someone else replied to that post -which the system admin would get that bounce [at least i do].  That is a pain, and all occurrs long after they would have been on the board, doing no telling what.

The idea of the plugin was to query the board and scan all email addresses, and attempt to validate them by using whatever means is possible [within php], doing only x number of addresses at a time and page through the results refreshing the browser.  Once done, it spits out a list of all potential bad addresses, with links associated to that user - allowing the Admin to either delete that account, email that user [to test manually] and also PM that user.

Raybo wrote:

I know a user validates their account by having an email sent to them.  That is what I'm referring to - they use a valid account to 'get in' and validate the registration process, but come back and edit their profile with a bogus email address, after-the-fact.

The user also validates their email every time they change it is what Rickard is saying wink

ahhhhh!!! - I see sed the blind man.

Ok, my apologies! smile

I send manual registration checks to people once they're registered.
If they reply, we're good. If they don't I delete them.

Also I make a general practice of deleting long term accounts without posts associated with them.

Somehow people don't like to have to validate their accounts through email. It appears to be a deterrant to both chuckle-heads, as well as actual potential members.

Some way of automating this process without interfering with the instant gratification would be welcome indeed.