26 (edited by Jonex 2005-02-22 14:12)

Re: Unified converter! (InvPB, miniBB, PhpBB, vBulletin & YabbSE)

Rickard wrote:

Jonex: I doubt anyone here will make a converter that allows you to migrate away from PunBB. For that, you'll have to ask in the phpBB forums.

I thought that this converter maybe was flexible anough to be atleast easily modded.
I hope I didn't offend you by implying that there's a risk that PunBB isn't optimal for my use? tongue

I'm afraid that there isn't much chance of finding a pun-to-php-converter at phpbb.

Edit:
Hehe, it seams like there's need for one, though this guy knew better than me where to post: smile
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=264026
Though he seems to have quite high expectations for a free software: "...the support staff..."

I guess I'll just have to take some extra time to decide then.

LOL, interesting.
I looked up his name and did an author search: the only time he posted in Feature Requests was to disagree with an idea tongue

Jonex: Don't worry about it smile I just wanted to inform you that it is unlikely that anyone here would be doing that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I've now sent an updated version to Rickard... should be up when he's online next time.

converted properly (reported by kiplantt)
 · vBulletin: Fixed issues where "old" database fields,
   such as last_action and status, gave error messages.

database-migration. (reported by Mike)
 · Phorum: Fixed a problem where guests posts
   disappeared (reported by Cyril)

(reported by Justin)
 · PhpBB: Users having a registered date in the form
   "Nov 10, 2000" now are have their registered date
   properly converted (reported by Justin)
 · Phorum: Fixed problem where the last-post-dates
   in viewtopic was not set properly. (reported by Cyril)

is there a converter for ldu?

31 (edited by craigm 2005-05-04 11:36)

Hi,

I have converted from vbulletin to pun. Went well, thanks for that!

But I have some confusion with "categories" and "forums".

In vbulletin, I had all my 8 forums listed in the admin "Forum Manager". Each of these forums is enabled as "Act as Forum". According to the documentation:

There are two kinds of forums, a forum and a category. Forums can allow new threads and posts while categories cannot. Categories are used to group forums by topic. Forums of related topics are typically created as children of a parent category to group them by topic.

When adding / editing a forum there is an option called "Act as Forum". When this option is set to "Yes" the forum will act as a forum. When this option is set to "No" the forum will act as a category.

Now, my 8 forums have come in as 8 "categories" in pub. Why? They were setup as "Act as Forum"!  How can I make sure I am converting correctly?

Thanks!

-----------
SOLVED!
This was solved with Paul's recommendation smile
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=42385#p42385
I'll leave the text here in case someone searches in the future.
-----------

the converter converted nothing for me sad even my admin user was deleted. i was using vb 3.07

I don't think the convertor even has a delete statement in it, so I don't see how that's possible

34 (edited by kaishi 2005-05-09 19:22)

well, i was unable to log on to my first set up admin account after running the conversion script, on punbb that is. not on my vb.

and none of the forums, posts, threads got converted.

35 (edited by Smartys 2005-05-09 21:34)

Odd, did you check the Userlist and find no accounts (I think passwords have to be changed when coverting from VB3, not sure)?
As for the forums, did you have them in a category? If not, read a couple posts up for someone who had the same issue

36 (edited by kaishi 2005-05-09 21:38)

i had multiple catagories as well as 1 private. all contain forums. www.dtguild.com/forum is what i have up there.

37 (edited by Smartys 2005-05-22 12:44)

OK
There's an issue with converting that sets the Guest account to have member permissions.

To fix:

For non PHPBB users:
open [board you're converting from]/start.php
FIND

$db->query('INSERT INTO '.$_SESSION['pun']."users (username, password, email) VALUES('Guest', 'Guest', 'Guest')") or myerror('Unable to add guest user', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

REPLACE WITH

$db->query('INSERT INTO '.$_SESSION['pun']."users (group_id, username, password, email) VALUES(3, 'Guest', 'Guest', 'Guest')") or myerror('Unable to add guest user', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

For PHPBB users:
FIND

$db->query('INSERT INTO '.$_SESSION['pun'].'users (id, username, password, email) '."VALUES('1', 'Guest', 'Guest', 'Guest')") or myerror('Unable to add Guest-user', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

REPLACE WITH

$db->query('INSERT INTO '.$_SESSION['pun'].'users (group_id, id, username, password, email) '."VALUES(3, '1', 'Guest', 'Guest', 'Guest')") or myerror('Unable to add Guest-user', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

All this does is add the correct group_id setting smile

I'll e-mail this to Chacmool since it's a rather serious bug.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hello.

I have had a skim through this thread, and I was wondering can this converter work for converting IPB 2 final to punBB?

Thanks in advance.

Dustin Cook,
ufpst.co.uk

Looks like it

New version released... download at the punbb download page: http://punbb.org/downloads.php

Some changes:

* Added support for "Simple Machines Forum" and "SimpleBoard"
* Converter now updates the cached files (bans, quickjump, config and ranks).
* Fixed _SESSION / _GET / _POST variable problems.
* Added more accurate info in the error message (points to correct file/line instead of functions.php).
* Cleaned up and simplified the code in several files (overall less code).
* Made sure I only used "<?php" as start tagg.

Not easy to know everything works though, as there are _a lot_ of different foum setups / server setups... so please let me know if somthing isn't working (and do make a backup before using the converter!!).

I converted my IPB forum, and it seems now that tabs in posts are coming out as " ". I have tried censoring it, but it doesn't work as it's taking it as html. Is there anyway i could fix this?

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2539/problem1hy.th.png

Please help: i have mambo +simpleboard.
Coverting forum to pubb and coverter say:

>File: /home/eakvai/public_html/testas/forumai/punbb/converters/SimpleBoard/users.php
>Line: 49
>Converter reported: Unable to save to database.
>Query: INSERT INTO `eakvai_forumai`.punbbusers (id,username,email,num_posts,last_post,registered) >VALUES('82','aaaaaaaaa','aaaaaaaaaaaaa@pochta.ru','27','1125113389','1083546371')
>Database reported: Duplicate entry '82' for key 1 (Errno: 1062)

Only 2 user has this problem. In punbb db these users exist.

Please help? Its posible migrate only forum and post?

Rickard wrote:

I doubt anyone here will make a converter that allows you to migrate away from PunBB.

Exactly. wink Who would want to?

I don't HAVE a signature, ok?

Im having a problem too, What does it mean by not converting passwords? Plus, all I can get converted is the users, no post get converted. Any ideas? I'am trying to convert from simpleboard! Help please. smile

I'm not sure about the posts, but "not converting the passwords" means that your users will all have to use the "Forgot your password" option to get assigned new passwords

Smartys wrote:

I'm not sure about the posts, but "not converting the passwords" means that your users will all have to use the "Forgot your password" option to get assigned new passwords

Yikes. Ummm, I signed up without giving an email WAY back in the day. Thanks though, Looks like I may not be able to save my old forums. sad

Jonex wrote:

Is it possible/easy to mod to use this tool for PunBB->PhpBB?
I'm planning to use PunBB as a forum for a site, actually I have no need of a skinned Forum and have already installed PM-mod and easy BBcode mod. But I like the clean look of this forum more than the alternatives, if I could be safe that  I won't lose anything if I (or the users) change my mind later, that would be great!

I have to second this in spite of the odds against it.  I plan switching from phpBB to PunBB when 1.3 comes out anyway but it would certainly give me peace of mind to know that I wouldn't be trapped using it if for any reason I decided it wasn't right for my forum (which I doubt will happen to be honest).

Well, it is not in the PunBB community's interest to help people migrate away from PunBB. You should ask the phpBB community about that.

Is there a way you can make the tables not be removed, but still work?

Main
Forums
Future