Re: Remember "Subscribe to this topic" checkbox

Connorhd wrote:

if you want new topic notification then educate your users on rss feeds wink

Heck, I don't even understand rss feeds!   big_smile

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

For threads/forums with few posters maybe.
For threads/forums with many posters that have auto-subscribe on... that means every time someone posts in that thread everyone who is subscribed needs to be informed.

Smartys wrote:

For threads/forums with few posters maybe.
For threads/forums with many posters that have auto-subscribe on... that means every time someone posts in that thread everyone who is subscribed needs to be informed.

But isn't it pretty much already like that?   People who want to be subscribed get email notifications? 

This feature, if I understand correctly, is just to help people remember to subscribe that otherwise would have liked to, but forgot.

Not a big deal if only a handful of people think this is a good idea.  I'm all about lean and mean.  Just trying to do a pro's / con's for this type of thing and it seems like this is relatively small.     

So, was the idea that the admin could enable or disable this?  I don't think the forum size is an issue, it is a return on investment issue.   If your income (direct or indirect) from a forum is relatively proportional to the size and activity of your forum then the size of the forum shouldn't matter as your hosting / server should also be growing relatively proportionally.   Now, if your forum is just a hobby / fun forum then maybe size matters.  Did that make any sense????

Rob Ludlow 

Some people "set it and forget it"
Lets take these forums as an example.
There are close to 3500 posters. Lets say Rickard had a giant thread that everyone was supposed to post in once. Imagine the server having to send out over 1k emails every time someone posted.
And subscriptions are already able to be set by the admins

I don't have the energy to read through the whole topic. I'll just cave in and add something to 1.3. OK? smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I don't have the energy to read through the whole topic. I'll just cave in and add something to 1.3. OK? smile

HAHAHA  big_smile 

Note To Self:  Squeaky wheel gets grease!

Rob Ludlow 

Mmm, don't mind me then if I don't convert the digest mod to 1.2.5 (I hate trying to convert the HTML! tongue)

but it works on 1.2.5 http://punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=288

Smartys wrote:

Huh, stupid question: Where?

reviewum.com wrote:

I respect that opinion, but don't understand it at all.   Maybe I've just got too much time on my hands, but I ALWAYS want to know what people say in reply to my posts... you know, to see if they flame me or praise my greatness! cool

Don't most of you feel the same way when you look at your forum experiences... wouldn't you USUALLY want to see replies to a topic you replied to?

Well, I get way too much email/spam. I personally don't subscrbe to any forum threads. I just check my forums once a day and check the "my posts" link, as it is updated with new posts from other people. Very handy.

But there are some people on my forum, that I want to read the forum, and they don't do it, unless they're mailed.

Connorhd wrote:

but it works on 1.2.5 http://punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=288

And no one else pointed this out to me why? tongue

i dunno i have been delibaratly trying to keep out of this topic or i would have mentioned it earlier

Elrond wrote:
Smartys wrote:

Huh, stupid question: Where?

I mean if subscriptions are enabled or not

The big problem is where to add the checkbox in the profile. It doesn't quite fit under any of the categories.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Actually, some of the stuff in each category doesn't really fit either. Maybe a category rethink is called for. If I had to put in somewhere it would be with the other subscription option in "Privacy".

Rickard wrote:

No. It's one e-mail per subscriber. You can't mass e-mail out those notifications for two reasons:

1. Using a large list of hidden recipients upsets spam filters.
2. You can't just CC it, because then other peoples e-mail addresses will be revealed.

I remember one of the boards, can't remember which one, using BCC to not reveal email addresses.

Curious- is there an "email queue"? Some hosts limit number of emails sent in a given shot. Preferring to do, for example 2x1000 rather than 1x2000.

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

Paul: Yeah, maybe a rethink is a good idea. Suggestions? smile

middleground: The problem with BCC is that lots of spam filters tag it as spam if there are lots of addresses in the BCC field.

Any updates / ideas on this?  Are we still good to go to add this to a future version?

I think it would be great to have the option on the admin side and/or the user side to check a box that says:

"Automatically subscribe me to all threads to which I've posted."

I've said it before, but I think any website owner is looking for "sticky" customers and this is a big way to do it.   Yeah, it will increase server load, but with the extra money you (should) be making it would easily cover additional server resources.  smile

Rob Ludlow 

69 (edited by shacker 2006-09-19 04:48)

reviewum.com wrote:

I respect that opinion, but don't understand it at all.   Maybe I've just got too much time on my hands, but I ALWAYS want to know what people say in reply to my posts... you know, to see if they flame me or praise my greatness! cool

Don't most of you feel the same way when you look at your forum experiences... wouldn't you USUALLY want to see replies to a topic you replied to?

I totally agree. Except that I *don't* have too much time on my hands. I have NO time on my hands. Which is why every time I sign up for a new board, the first thing I do is go to my profile and select "Automatically subscribe me to all threads I post in." 

3/4 of the time, I'm  registering for a board not because I want to read everything that happens there or become part of a community, but because  I have some specific question or questions (e.g. in support forums like this one). There's no way I have time   to go look at a dozen or so  boards every day to see if my question has been answered. And if the default "subscribe" option is not checked, I may forget to check it manually and forget to ever come back. Heck, sometimes I receive an email from a thread I participated in two years ago, containing new and useful information. This is an indispensible feature.

Finally, it's a feature users have come to expect,  because it's so commonplace on other boards. Thus, its absensce from punBB is seen as a negative.

I totally sympathize on the bloat and resource thing (and yes, the question of whether this feature makes sense depends a lot on the popularity of any given board).   But to me, this one is important enough to be worth making the "bloat" compromise for.

Just my .02

Isn't javascript store/restore checkbox state in cookies bad idea? No need to touch database at all.