Topic: "Reduce and expand category" feature

Hi all

I'm new to punBB, just discovered it by chance and I find it's a niece piece of board. I'm even moving my website from phpBB to punBB, after I tried many other bulletin boards like IVB and Vbulletin...

I already went through alot of topics there regarding questions I have/had and found some answers, but still I have one remaining.

I noticed alot of feature request are based in comparison with other boards and needs we have for our own sites. My question won't be much different there, sorry smile

There is one feature I appreaciate with VBulletin : the fact we can reduce and expand categories so that the forum doesn't show as long as my arm tongue I found nowhere a mod/hack to do this with punBB and I was wondering if someone already tried this?

Thanks alots

Re: "Reduce and expand category" feature

cyrilg38 wrote:

Hi all

I'm new to punBB, just discovered it by chance and I find it's a niece piece of board. I'm even moving my website from phpBB to punBB, after I tried many other bulletin boards like IVB and Vbulletin...

I already went through alot of topics there regarding questions I have/had and found some answers, but still I have one remaining.

I noticed alot of feature request are based in comparison with other boards and needs we have for our own sites. My question won't be much different there, sorry smile

There is one feature I appreaciate with VBulletin : the fact we can reduce and expand categories so that the forum doesn't show as long as my arm tongue I found nowhere a mod/hack to do this with punBB and I was wondering if someone already tried this?

Thanks alots

I don' t use it myself yet but i' m sure, i saw it somewhere in the mods. Punbb did think about!

Thanks Pun
my forums

i don't think i've ever seen a mod for it

im working on it now :-) it is basicly the code from IPB fit into PunBB

Connorhd wrote:

i don't think i've ever seen a mod for it

There was a similar one to only show 1 catagory at a time which is actually on my site...I just couldn't figure out how I would ever use it. hmm

Anyways,
Wouldn't it involve more lines in a cookie to keep track of which catagories are expanded and which are collapsed?

more likely another field in the user table on the database? and it not work for guests

Gizzmo wrote:

im working on it now :-) it is basicly the code from IPB fit into PunBB

sweet coolness smile keep me updated with it please wink

just one cookie one line and just commas seperating the number of the forum. you can view a demo at my site

yikes wow javascript as well clever wink

indeed, very smart job smile

inwhich file do you add your script though?

just about all of the code is in the index.php file, but i added the script src to the header so you dont have to add it to every one of your templates(if you had more than one template)

Works great smile Thanks.

relesed, check punres

sweet smile

Nice smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

you know how long it took me to look though ipb's code to see how they did it...OMG thats why i love punbb

17 (edited by almost_there 2005-05-20 18:41)

Gizzmo wrote:

you know how long it took me to look though ipb's code to see how they did it...OMG thats why i love punbb

LOL

We appreciate your work.

thx Giz it works wonder

heh, looks like I wasn't the only one waiting for this smile