Re: ADOdb

Once again, I am not anti-Microsoft. I am however, open-minded. Actually, you're the one who started accusing MySQL of being slow compared to MSSQL.

I meant to defend ADO and the primary use of ADO from the now positively
insincere hcgtv, slandering ADO by implicating it with Access with purpose. mad

Official? You mean post a link to some Microsoft sponsored benchmark?

Hahaha lol

No, my own benchmarks, others' benchmarks, and industry standard benchmarks. big_smile

It is funny you mention Microsoft sponsored benchmarks though, since MySQL is the one
who refuses to participate in very well respected industry standard benchmarks with Oracle,
DB2 and MSSQL, instead choosing to provide their own executed by no independent party. hmm

I don't care if MySQL is simple and effective, ie. a "kids" database to some. I might even
prefer that in many situations. However, I do care if it is simply much slower than MSSQL.
I love alternative databases and have investigated and used over the years. I would so
love to use MySQL and libmysql... but it is slow tongue

I can make my apps use MySQL, MS SQL and a few other databases with a one line change.
This came about through extensive research and my eventual conclusion, collaborated by
many, that MS SQL is a much more efficient choice, resulting in greatly increased speed. wink

I have since found many smart people, large organizations and independent developers
who have learned the same. If MS SQL was MySQL and MySQL was MS SQL, many of you
would be on repeat about the difference in performance. yikes

All I mean to say was what I originally said and it stands. It is true and valid. Just because
Microsoft's solution is better does not mean I must be a Microsoft employee. If it does,
then I must thank you for the great compliment. (even though it was meant as an insult) cool

PS. Tagging outbursts with feigned smilies is as prevalent as using them in earnest. smile

Just because
Microsoft's solution is better does not mean I must be a Microsoft employee. If it does,
then I must thank you for the great compliment. (even though it was meant as an insult)

why do you continually reference this? it was a joke, not anti microsoft, not an insult...

infact i find your posts alot more insulting, not to mention stuff directed at rickard or hcgtv,

Many of them are smart.

well that obviously insinuates that i am not smart, not a very nice comment

I have since found many smart people,

again with the smart people, just because peope agree with you doesn't mean they are smart

who are these smart people?

PS. if you had noticed the smilie

A Microsoft employee perhaps? smile

maybe you would have realised it was not meant to be an insult

kaishaku wrote:

No, my own benchmarks, others' benchmarks, and industry standard benchmarks. big_smile

It is funny you mention Microsoft sponsored benchmarks though, since MySQL is the one
who refuses to participate in very well respected industry standard benchmarks with Oracle,
DB2 and MSSQL, instead choosing to provide their own executed by no independent party. hmm

I don't care if MySQL is simple and effective, ie. a "kids" database to some. I might even
prefer that in many situations. However, I do care if it is simply much slower than MSSQL.
I love alternative databases and have investigated and used over the years. I would so
love to use MySQL and libmysql... but it is slow tongue

I can make my apps use MySQL, MS SQL and a few other databases with a one line change.
This came about through extensive research and my eventual conclusion, collaborated by
many, that MS SQL is a much more efficient choice, resulting in greatly increased speed. wink

I have since found many smart people, large organizations and independent developers
who have learned the same. If MS SQL was MySQL and MySQL was MS SQL, many of you
would be on repeat about the difference in performance. yikes

All I mean to say was what I originally said and it stands. It is true and valid. Just because
then I must thank you for the great compliment. (even though it was meant as an insult) cool

PS. Tagging outbursts with feigned smilies is as prevalent as using them in earnest. smile

OK. That's it. Now you need to back all this up. The fact that your "extensive research", "collaborated by many" led you to believe MSSQL is a "much more efficient choice", really doesn't say anything. Show me the money!

By the way. What's your opinion on PostgreSQL?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Isn't all this besides the point. Even if MS SQL is faster/better how is that relevant to the majority of people using PunBB. The overwhelming majority of people using PunBB will be running it using free or cheap hosting services which are Linux(BSD)/Apache/Php/MySQL. The real question is whether it would be worth imposing the performance hit of ADOdb on the vast majority of users in order to make PunBB available to a very small number of potential users.

The way I look at it this is actually a marketing issue rather than a technical one. Mercedes are better than Fords but I wouldn't risk upsetting a thousand customers driving Fords in order to sell my widgets to 10 potential customers driving Mercedes. Off topic, but thats also the reason that the "to hell with bad browsers" movement is doomed to failure in the real world.

Paul: Switching to ADOdb would not impose a performance hit on PunBB. It would be a lot of work and I don't like ADOdb personally, so I doubt it will be done anytime soon.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."