Topic: is 1.3 stable? stable 1.3 ETA?

not rushing anybody, so don't flame me lol big_smile

Its just that I have 1.25 all skinned & ready to launch, EXCEPT for the 2 things Rickard mentioned in his post here 3/27... http://punbb.org/forums/profile.php?id=2

Rickard wrote:

Well, I don't have a list, but the two most noticeable feature additions I've completed (or almost completed) are support for Search Engine Friendly URLs and a rewrite of extern.php (which adds, among other things, syndication for both forums and topics). Paul has some markup/CSS improvements he will be incorporating (e.g. getting rid of the clearer divs in the markup). Other than that, I don't have a lot planned, but I'm sure quite a few things will popup as the work continues. I've just had a break from PunBB for a few days, so I'm kind of out of sync.

just some opinions are fine! wink

What would you do at this point in time?

#1 customize 1.25 w/RSS like http://www.alexking.org/forums/  & my own mod_rewrite script or possibly this one http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7340

OR

#2 Use/wait for v1.3?

I've already got rid of the clearer divs, is there anything else in v1.3 that I would be missing by using v1.25?

Thanx a bunch wink

Re: is 1.3 stable? stable 1.3 ETA?

psst its 1.2.5 if it was 1.25, 1.3 would be a downgrade

and if your form is all moded, just keep it moded, and dont upgrade

I won't make an estimate of when 1.3 will be done. Whenever I do, I always miss it smile I can tell you one thing though. If you're going to use 1.3 in it's current state, I would wait a day or two. I have a bunch of revisions to merge from the 1.2 branch. I was actually just about to get started on that smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanx for the fast reply Rickard wink much appreciated

Have the RSS & clean URL features made it to 1.3 yet?
I really liked your ideas on clean URL/syntax, that you had posted on another thread.

Thats actually my whole reason for posting this, I want that reeeally bad! big_smile

The URL stuff is pretty much in there, but I haven't commited the new RSS script yet.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

As for the ETA. Shouldn't IE7 be factored into the equation. It would be good to test on at least a beta version of IE7. Though I suppose that depends on whether M$ get the first beta out this summer as planned (they have trouble with deadlines too).

OK, I can wait until the end of the week on this, I have other things to do still.

On IE7? what is the reason for that?
I have everything stable in IE5, IE5mac, 5.5, 6, FF, Opera8 & Safari, so it BETTER BE OK in IE7! big_smile

IE7 is going to fix some bugs but still not be standards compliant. It may well render things differently to both IE6 and standards compliant browsers. Some of the hacks that fix IE6 might break IE7.

If you do go to PunBB 1.3 just make sure you just use the standard styles, there is a bit more to the changes than just removing clearer divs.

9 (edited by GregK 2005-05-02 04:05)

I agree, who knows what joy 7 will bring us? lol 

I have 5, 5.5 & 6 installed & the difference between them on certain things is amazing.

On the CSS...
The basic tables in viewforum are all thats left of the default markup & styles, which is why I'm not exactly looking forward to upgrading.
Gotta have those SEF URL's & RSS though cool No IE hacks either, just a few styles w/a IE conditional.

I'll bug you guys some more in a few days big_smile

thanx again

Rickard wrote:

If you're going to use 1.3 in it's current state, I would wait a day or two. I have a bunch of revisions to merge from the 1.2 branch.

Would you be so kind as to post a message here once those commits have been completed? I have a few site launches that have been on hold pending those revisions, and it would be great to get them up as soon as possible.

Thanks a bunch, Rickard!

--Justin

Yes, I will. I'm sorry, but I haven't gotten around to commit them yet. I will do my best to fix it tomorrow.

I've ported a bunch of stuff from the 1.2 branch today. 36 revisions to be exact. The 1.3 and 1.2 branches are now in sync. This is as good a time as any to grab the 1.3 branch if you are unable to wait for a stable release. I haven't commited the new RSS stuff, but hopefully, I will be able to get some work done on it tomorrow. No promises though.

just remember to get some sleep aswell big_smile

Thats great Rickard wink do get some sleep!

I hit a few snafus on another part of this project, so it will be first of the week before I get to it.

I'm really starting to dislike Amazon's AWS  big_smile

15 (edited by GregK 2005-05-22 17:38)

OK, I'm ready to upgrade tomorrow, is it a good time to jump? smile

I'm going to have to upgrade by hand too, is there a diff page for the 1.2.5 to v1.3 changes?

Thanx

I am about to start committing markup and css changes. They are probably going to have to be done in stages (unless I'm told different) so things will be somewhat untidy until its all finished. If you are going to grab it I would do it right now.

BTW: The reason IE hacks are used rather than conditional comments is so people just have to edit the stylesheets not the main files. Just in case you were wondering.

OK, thanx Paul

Is there some kind of a diff page? all of my frontend markup & css is my own.
I'm still using the basic admin layouts though, those are really nice wink

cheers

I would be interested to see what you have done. My estimate is that the markup could be reduced by at least 30% for a custom design i.e. one that didn't need to provide styling hooks for skinning. I think you better wait for one of the code heads to tell you about diff files.

19 (edited by GregK 2005-05-23 03:44)

OK, thanx Paul

Whats the best way to download v1.3? Is there a link for the complete download?
I can't figure out how to grab the whole thing at http://dev.punbb.org/browser/branches/

& on my design, its just a more of a minimalist/bloggish layout, I'll shoot ya a link this next week. ;)

GregK: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5818

Rickard, check your email smile

Any chance of getting a diff/changelog for 1.2.5 to the current 1.3?

I'll kick ya a few $$$'s for your time, I know it will save me a bunch.

Thanks

why don't you just download them both and generate a diff?

'cuz I'm a tard when it comes to that stuff big_smile

Gizzmo wrote:

psst its 1.2.5 if it was 1.25, 1.3 would be a downgrade

How so?