Topic: 'Read' topics not marked as read

In the current release of PunBB (1.2.5 at time of writing), topics that you read are not marked as 'read' until either logff/logon or the current 'visit' expires.

Is this a bug - or a problem with my install? I assume its not a 'feature' tongue

Re: 'Read' topics not marked as read

No - this is how it's supposed to work.
The only way to fix it is through a mod. roll

Here's the best mod out there:
http://punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=321

The only thing about punBB - hope it doesn't put you off too much. Once you get past that, it's the best system out there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll leave it be and wait for an upated version of punBB, this particular mod suggests the timeout_visit be set to a long period of time, which doesn't really suit my site.

Thanks anyway once again!

its not a bug, it doesn't need fixed and theres no plans to add that functionality, well rickard may be thinking about it but i don't think its a definite feature of 1.3

you gotta admit it would be nice smile

and it would bring across more PHPBB users - at the moment some who use it may be reluctant as their old system does this but pun does not. I've come across regardless because phpbb/nuke's code is shit and pun is a much better platform for me to write plugins and integrate with my site - but not all have those motives.

you read http://punbb.org/about.php ?

yea, which part of it?

i kno its not made to 'please the masses'..... but im sure most people woulda gree that it would be nice if topics were marked as read as soon as they were read. --- neway.. im not fussed smile

just install the mod then... tongue

nishkak wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll leave it be and wait for an upated version of punBB, this particular mod suggests the timeout_visit be set to a long period of time, which doesn't really suit my site.

Thanks anyway once again!

Actually, not really. You can still set it to the normal timeout-time...Maybe just a little longer for conveniece sake.
See - the timer doesn't start until users stop browsing the site. It is reset every time they click a link.

So, the timeout time shouldn't matter. If they're idle, then it should time out - why not?

IMHO, I do think that this is a great idea to be implimented into punBB. I agree with nishkak on this issue (except for the phpBB issue), but I do think that it's just common sense that a post be counted as read as soon as it's read. Why do you need to know if you've posted a reply? You just posted it!
It shouldn't still be counted as unread... Just use logic.

erissiva, the reason for this is because of the amount of information that needs to be stored for it to work, and before a debate starts i suggest you read some of the older topics about this

Connorhd wrote:

erissiva, the reason for this is because of the amount of information that needs to be stored for it to work, and before a debate starts i suggest you read some of the older topics about this

I have and I understand.
However - I do believe that the process could be simplified with simple logic. e.g. - Instead of using even the simplist of units (on and off - 1 and 0), you could eliminate 0 altogether.
My understanding of programming isn't top-notch, but logically it should work without using much space at all...No bloat.

you need to record every topic they read, or every topic they don't, the thing is how long do you wait until the topic is marked read, even if they haven't read it, and that has to be checked, its all bloat tongue

14 (edited by erissiva 2005-06-13 21:43)

or every topic they don't

This is already done...How much bloat would it be to add one more variable?

the thing is how long do you wait until the topic is marked read

This is already done too, so there wouldn't be any bloat there...

Edit: Connor - Sorry if I come off as arguing and a troublemaker - I'm not. Really, I'm just trying to logically solve a problem. I believe that this feature is very important and can be implimented without bloat at all. Almost every message board system out there has this function - I don't know why punBB has to trail the pack with this single feature.

When I first started in the world of community administration, I tried numerous message board systems...punBB has always been near the top of my list, but the only reason I stayed away from it for so long was this single issue - after learning a little more about the web (programming and such) I realized that just because it was lacking in one place, didn't mean it didn't make up for it in other ways.
But after being a part of this community for a couple months and seeing the way things work, I think that this is very feasible. So, the fact that it lacks in this issue shouldn't be a problem any more.

Whether or not this get added, I'm still going to continue using punBB and loving it - I just think that adding this will only enhance the usability and draw of this fine piece of software. wink

Coming off supporting Nucleus using phpBB, the read topics issue was the first thing I mentioned here.

After having used PunBB for the last several months, I like the way PunBB does it. Just click "Show new posts since last visit" on the top left and I can see all new posts. Since I use Firefox, one tab has all the new posts, I can middle click on [new posts] and read the topic in a new tab or just click [new posts] and hit the back button to read the rest.

I also noticed this early on after having moved from phpbb, but I much prefer the punBB solution. I also find the phpbb-solution very unreliable, as it often marked topics "read" even when I hadn't read them, the marking seemed almost random at times.
It's much easier to keep track with punbb, and it's more reliable.

hcgtv wrote:

After having used PunBB for the last several months, I like the way PunBB does it. Just click "Show new posts since last visit" on the top left and I can see all new posts.

Yeah, but with the new version of that mod, you can still do that.
That phpBB thing, however, just seems like an error. For the 2 years I used it, I never had that problem.

I have gotten used to it, it's just a little confusing at times. It took a while to explain to my users as the confusion is obviously seen here:
http://bb.zanthria.com/viewtopic.php?id=14

erissiva, there's a mod to display unread topics and then mark them as read?

If so, the problem arises that your user community gets used to this and a new release of PunBB comes out and the mod needs updating and you waits. That's my fear with relying on mods or plugins, etc.

No, but the mod I listed (http://punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=321) still allows for the functionality of the "See topics since last visit", but as far as I know marks them as read if you've read it, and then when you click the "See topics since last visit" link again, that post won't show up as new since it's no longer new...It's been read.

This is what I'm saying about the mod - it shouldn't need to be a mod. It should be built-in functionality.

erissiva wrote:

or every topic they don't

This is already done...How much bloat would it be to add one more variable?

the thing is how long do you wait until the topic is marked read

This is already done too, so there wouldn't be any bloat there...

neither of those are held.... i have no idea what your thinking of for the first one, but its not one variable, its one variable per user per topic, if you didn't make them mark themselves as read, and you kept a record in the  database of every read topic then that would be 20777982 more variables for this forum (i know you would make it timeout but you still see the scale of the number of variables)

then for how long you would wait, atm thats the time it takes until it thinks you have idled long enough to have left the site, but if you were recording read topics properly presumably you would want this to be much longer? and anyway, the other problem is all the data thats in the database needs constantly updating, if someoen times out then another user on the forum will have to be slowed down while their (un)read topics are cleared out, or its done when the next sign on which might be better as no one user could get given it all but then you have all the stuff in the database...

And then back to the topic of the mod, there is a mod, it works, just install that

21 (edited by nishkak 2005-06-14 10:23)

Are there any drawbacks to using this mod?

Don't forget about ShawnBrown's PunJS New Posts. It's a drop-in Javascript solution. I don't know if it works with 1.2.5, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

it doesn't, well not for me anyway

Rickard wrote:

Don't forget about ShawnBrown's PunJS New Posts. It's a drop-in Javascript solution. I don't know if it works with 1.2.5, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't.

I'm not sure I want a JS getting loaded every time that a page is loaded.

ConnorHD - You're right. Like I said - I was just trying to work it out logically. wink
The only thing I'm afraid of is the mod not getting updated for the next version round.
I've tried getting ahold of the author, but havn't gotten a response yet.

I think if he didn't, someone else could: I know I'd be more then happy to wink