Topic: Customizing PunBB & Helping

Hey Kennel, i emailed your earlier but i dont know if you have recieved my email because you havnt emailed me back or anything. If you havnt, then here is what the email said;

Hello. I would like to begin this email by saying how clean, crisp and professional the PunBB software really is. Ive tried many message board systems in my time and at the moment, i would say this one is the top dog...so to speak hehe. Anyways, what im emailing you for is to ask you about customizing my PunBB that I have. I already begun editing most of the PHP files and will be editing more often and adding my own little mods to it. But, i was wondering one thing. If i could become apart of the PunBB Team? Im at work at the moment so i carnt really talk to you for long but, i would like to discuss this matter further. If you have access to MSN or AOL Instant Messenger then please give me your address and username so that i may talk with you. My current ideas for expanding the forums are;

- Uploading System
- Downloading System
- Shop

And alot of other ones which are alot more complex and need alot more explaining. It would be nice for you to give me a chance to work with you as i think that you and your current team could benefit (not meant to sound big headed).

Kind Regards,
Dominic

Re: Customizing PunBB & Helping

Actually, I just opened my e-mail for the first time today, so now I've read it :)

I'll respond to this over e-mail.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thank you very much Kennel. Hopfully the returning email will be good news as i would really like to help out on the boards. Thank you so much for hearing me out.

Kind Regards,
Dominic

Are you aware of the fact I'm doing an attachment mod for PunBB?

If not, take a peak here and you will see how the mod will look like in a near future
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2394

Frank H wrote:

Are you aware of the fact I'm doing an attachment mod for PunBB?

If not, take a peak here and you will see how the mod will look like in a near future
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2394

Oh im quite aware and im not disputing the fact but i am saying that the amount of time you have spent on that is rediculous really. Im not amazing creator of PHP but i know enough about it to knock one up in about 1 hour. Why do you need all the fancy Admin & Moderator functions? Im talking about just adding a small function box in the "footer.php" file which will allow anyone to upload files to a specific folder on the server. Im not talking about a fully fledged system like yours. Although, yours is very good im just talking about a small basic one to begin with.

How ever, the shop will be alot more complex. This will be mainly wrote in HTML and then converted into PHP when needed too. This will allow people with specific amount of posts to buy certain things. i.e: Change of member name :: Mod for a day :: Delete a post etc.

The avatars gallery will also be ALL HTML until it comes to adding the actual avatar to the members profile to make things easier and alot more crisp in terms of page movements.

Kind Regards,
Dominic

6 (edited by Cactuz 2003-08-21 18:15)

I can't say that I'm happy with the idea of making PunBB some kind of commersial. Neither the things that you think could be purchased.

Change of member name / Delete a post
Why make something vital and good function not avaible? I mean. who will pay money to delete a post? That would only kill the forum i think.

Mod for a day
This sounds really crazy to me. Moderators should only be trusted people that visits the forum regularly. Not a crazy guy with much money.

Why makeing a avatar gallery in HTML? When its so much easier by makeing it with PHP. And that would not cause any problems when moving a page.

My opinion is that why destroy something as beautiful as PunBB by makeing it commersial?
Sure, mod this into your own forum, but me and many others will not visit it for sure.

Right me if I'm wrong.

Btw, who's this Talisman guy? I don't know. He says he wants to help but ain't even registered. Seems to me he's much out for some money. But what do I know, I've almost got paranoia. wink

Sorry if my english is bad but I'm really tired.

Talisman isn't talking about making PunBB commercial in any way. That will never happen. He's simply talking about adding features to PunBB that will allow an administrator to i.e. sell services in his/hers forum. Those kinds of features will most probably never make it into the PunBB source code, but they can of course be distributed as mods.

Edit: Don't forget the third paragraph of this text: http://punbb.org/about.php

Talisman: I have a hard time seeing why spending a lot of time on a mod is a bad thing. Mods that are "knocked up in about 1 hour" is NOT something we want for PunBB. I see only good things coming out of the hard work Frank H is putting down on his mod.

BTW, if there are any doubts I can tell you all right now that PunBB will be completely free as long as I live. That implies both commercial and non-commercial use. Making money out of PunBB was never my intention anyway. If I make any money from PunBB it will be in the form of a higher salary when/if I get a dayjob as a software developer :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Kennel wrote:
If I make any money from PunBB it will be in the form of a higher salary when/if I get a dayjob as a software developer smile

Or fanatic users who insist to donate something? smile

Gribber wrote:

Or fanatic users who insist to donate something? :)

Yeah, I guess that counts as well :)

I don't really get it but.. alright.. I will not bother me with it wink

Frank H is doing a great job with his upload script. The administartion part seems to be great smile I can't wait to test it wink

Cactuz wrote:
Frank H is doing a great job with his upload script. The administartion part seems to be great smile I can't wait to test it wink

yeah, if it works half as good as it look, it will be awesome smile

heh, thanks guys, yeah it's defenetly more than an hour of work put into it, and it needs it as attachments is really a security risk if everything is allowed etc.

And I must say that I really don't get that 'sale' system, or the use of it, is there an example of a similar thing around?

No, No, No. No one is understanding what i mean by this "shop system". This is how it works...

When people post they will gain points in there profile. Those points gather up as people keep posting, uploading files, replying, poll voting and other such things. Once they have enough points, they can therefore purchase somthing from the shop. I.e; Moderator for a day. Once they have purchased that "item" from the shop, points are taken from their profile and so on. Members can also get points deducted for bad mouthing and doing other things which are not allowed on that specific message board.

Do you understand a little more now or do i have to explain further?

Kind Regards,
Dominic

Ah, I see. A kind of "karma" system where you can use up you accumulated karma points. I believe it would be quite a massive mod, but be my guest :)

Kennel wrote:

Ah, I see. A kind of "karma" system where you can use up you accumulated karma points. I believe it would be quite a massive mod, but be my guest smile

Yes, your right it would be a huge mod but with the help of other people we would be able to make it. I know for a fact that everyone else that has ever done this mod on other versions of boards have done it using 100% PHP. But, this is where things change. Im planning to make this mod in HTML & PHP. The main designs and graphics and page layouts would all be in HTML format in the forums folder but when it comes to adding the actual Mod's to that certain member, that would be all in PHP. Now, i know im not expert at PHP and would need alot of help along the way so im asking now, would anyone be willing to help me on this huge project that could take months and probably will!?

Kind Regards,
Dominic

ah now I understand too...

hmm... have you looked at the PunBB code? in that case you will notice that it's built up by php & html ... where the php only is used where it's needed to ... there's alot of html in it.

Hmm.. Not a function I will use so I don't know if I got time to spend on it.