Topic: Navigating Pages

I would like to see a Previous/Next link for navigating through pages, instead of just the page numbers. I think clicking the page numbers is hard because they are small, and it seems odd not to have previous/next links. There seems to be enough space... Just a thought!

Thanks,
Trevor

Re: Navigating Pages

yeh, this has been discussed before, theres just no space for them - look here http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3885&p=37 (at the page numbers not the content wink)

The number of times this has been requested is very high though, so I might just try to squeeze it in somewhere after all. I have no idea where smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by trevor 2005-06-15 15:39)

I see... That's a lot of pages! What about a drop-down for the pages (showing the current page), surrounded by a previous/next?

So, it would be like: << Previous [Page 1] Next >>

Or, to save space, it could be << Last [Page 1] Next >>

Because I think that the current way doesn't really let you choose pages very gracefully anyway.

Waddaya Think?

I certainly think it should be in the markup even if invisible by default. There may be no space in Oxygen etc but in other designs there might by. For instance, my default layout always puts the breadcrumbs on a seperate row and I'm not the only one to do this.

From a usability standpoint, I would estimate that 99% of the clicks on the page numbers are either on the next page number or the last. I doubt anybody uses the page number display to jump from page 2 to 5 etc. That being the case there is an argument for having "First<Prev [1 of 6] Next>Last" links instead of the page numbers in their current position and just having the page numbers widget on its own row at the bottom. With viewtopic it doesn't take up any extra space as the subscription link is already taking up an extra row and in other cases, space at the bottom of the board is not as important as the top.

Actually, the whole problem here is not about page navigation, its about the location of the breadcrumbs.

If anybody is interested, the way Mercury board sets out the page navigation is simple and neat though not showing the last page number is probably a mistake.
http://forums.mercuryboard.com/index.ph … amp;num=25

Now back to trying to make the board footer work, I broke it. Its turning out to be the most difficult part of PunBB 1.3 to get right.