Re: Wiki documentation

cool

I second DokuWiki, very light on resources, very fast page rendering and very easy syntax to get used to.

Did this come to anything?
Is there a punBB wiki somewhere?

It would definitely be useful.
If there isn't one, I highly recommend MediaWiki.

--Alan

http://wiki.punres.org/

This is the PunRes wiki, but can ofcourse contain PunBB information too wink

I think the PunRes Wiki is doing a fine job of gathering all the PunBB docs.

Should Rickard want to start an official Wiki, that would be fine.

Ugh. Quit with the wiki's, pls.

What's wrong with an old-fashioned Manual in HTML (and PDF for printing), for God's sake?

I hate wikis. They are almost always SO dis-organised, sloppy and hard-to-use.

Using them for documentation purposes is IMHO a big mistake.

I love Wikipedia, and the wiki concept in general as 'collaborative knowledge sharing' is fine, but everywhere I see wikis used for documentation of software or web-apps it is usually a huge mess.

A good model of how things should be done is, for example, the docs for the ISPconfig hosting control panel:

http://www.ispconfig.org/documentation.htm

Nice! Simple! Usable!

What's not to like?

A wiki like the punres one is fine for collecting user contributed tips and mod info etc, but 'official' app documentation works best the old-fashioned way.

sirena

Manuals need updating and I'm sure that Rickard doesn't have the time, or motivation.
A decent wiki that is setup from the start with a half-decent structure will function really well, especially with a community like this behind it.
Mod and Plugin authors can maintain their own documentation and solutions to common problems can be shared.

I think PunBB would benefit hugely from an official wiki and it wouldn't take more than an hour or two to get one started.

--Alan

AlanCollier wrote:

Manuals need updating and I'm sure that Rickard doesn't have the time, or motivation.

Manuals don't have to be any harder to do than a wiki. A wiki lets people share content maintenance but that can also happen with old-fashioned structured manuals too. People did actually do this stuff before wikis smile

AlanCollier wrote:

I think PunBB would benefit hugely from an official wiki and it wouldn't take more than an hour or two to get one started.

--Alan

That's usually the problem with wikis. They can take just 15 minutes to setup.

But after setting them up the administrators throw in a few items, play with the layout and the options a bit, and then 30 minutes later they lose interest, but still just kind of expect the wiki to magically get filled up with high-quality, well-structured user-contributed content.

I don't look at a Wiki like it's going to be this place where everybody joins in and adds to it.

I prefer a Wiki cause it's easier to work with the docs when more than one developer is involved, no need to deal with CVS or SVN commits.

sirena wrote:

What's wrong with an old-fashioned Manual in HTML (and PDF for printing), for God's sake?

http://docs.punbb.org

Smartys wrote:
sirena wrote:

http://docs.punbb.org

Exactly.

If need be, just continue to build that up, not branch the documentation out into a (shudder) wiki.

Both could be run in parallel without harm.
Up to Rickard I guess.

--Alan

PmWiki is a great, light, customizable wiki, I recommend it over dokuwiki.

MediaWiki is also a great software, but it's not really light and I would not recommend it for software documentation, it is more suitable for a whole project centered on the wiki.

I think the current documentation (docs.punbb.org) is just perfect. You don't really need more, what else is there to put in it?

For hacks and other modifications, there are PunRes and it's wiki smile