1 (edited by sleddog 2005-07-20 10:02)

Topic: Merging two PunBB forums

Any suggestions on how I might merge two PunBB forums -- I mean two separate installations. I'd like to bring all the users, topics & posts from one installation into another installation.

Thanks.

(I should add -- both are version 1.2.6.)

Re: Merging two PunBB forums

Yah, I would like to merge two forums too, but don't know how sad

it wouldn't be easy, you could probably make a script to do it, but what happens when the same user is on both forums?

You would have to check so much stuff.

Usernames, post id's, post times etc etc.

How can I activate the AP_Merge_Forums.php in my forum?

that is to merge 2 sctions of the same forum into one section

Connorhd wrote:

it wouldn't be easy, you could probably make a script to do it, but what happens when the same user is on both forums?

That depends on whether it's the same person, or different people using the same username. The only check wold be the email address. If the username and email both match, then I'm importing the posts and updating the user's postcount. If not... well I only have one case like that, and the duplicate user has 0 posts smile

I've been working on a script to do the merger, but it's tricky. Topic ids and post ids of the imported data have to be altered, amongst other things. So far I've got the users, topics and posts to import, with new (incremented) ids, and correct data entered into last_post for each topic. But something isn't right yet. When I go to a forum and click an imported topic, e.g. 'id=892',  I get an error message about an outdated link. But in the database, the topics table does indeed have topic id 892 in there...

Back at it tomorrow I hope.

so what happens to 2 different people with the same username?

9 (edited by sleddog 2005-07-23 11:51)

Well like I said, fortunately I don't have that problem. I have one instance of 'same username / different email'. Once username was registered over a year ago with 0 posts, so I deleted it, thereby avoiding the issue. I suppose if I had to deal with it I would: (a) rename the instance of the username that was registered secondly, (b) adjust topics and posts accordingly, and (c) notify the user, perhaps gving him/her an ooportunity to select a new username.

Any idea why I get the message, "Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated" when I click on an imported topic, even though (a) the topic id exists in the database, and (b) the posts for the topic exist in the database, with the correct topic_id? This happens for all imported topic.

Well it took 2 days and about 6 hacked-up scripts, but I finally got there smile

http://forums.ourlabrador.ca