Topic: Common search for Nucleus and PunBB?

I am using Nucleus and PunBB at http://groningen-info.de/. Integration between the two is currently managed by the Nucleus plugin NP_PunBB Version 1.2.1.

For my visitors Nucleus and PunBB do not appear as two separate applications but as one website. Therefore, from a usability point of view, the search box should ideally return results from both databases, Nucleus AND PunBB.

Is that possible?
And if, how much work would that be?

(I also posted this on the Nucleus Supportforum)

Re: Common search for Nucleus and PunBB?

The top would be an unique INPUT SEARCH, but with check buttons
"on the whole site" (example : search in Coppermine (or other Gallery APP, in Nucleus, in PunBB ... or ALL)

And results would be

"Inside Coppermine"
blabla

"Inside Nucleus"
bla bla

Inside PunBB

"bla bla"

I replied on the Nucleus forum but I have an idea, have you tried Google Search?

hcgtv wrote:

have you tried Google Search?

You mean using Google on the site as search engine?
No, but that would limit the search result to pages that have been indexed by GoogleBot, wouldn't it?

Maybe a third party search engine like Atomz.com or Freefind.com would help. Does anybody know if they index dynamic pages with question-marks in the URL?

pmmueller wrote:

You mean using Google on the site as search engine?
No, but that would limit the search result to pages that have been indexed by GoogleBot, wouldn't it?

Google indexes both Nucleus and PunBB for me, I do have Google ads on each page though I don't know if that matters any.

Well, first of all sorry for the delay, but I have this combination of site and forum.

I think the best is to implement the search, I mean, not depending from outside engines, and making a plugin special for the site.

The best thing to show the information is, like Rod says, separating whats on the site, whats on the forum and so on.

Thanks.