Topic: on post new topic, check for existing similar topics

for support sites that use punbb, a lot of time is spent with the moderators trying to redirect people that start topics to existing threads. i wonder if there is something that can be done about this...

first, there is a thread in feature requests about merging topics, which i think is a cool idea.

but, i'd like to suggest something off the top of my head. what about a feature that would be enabled by a moderator and could be disabled in the Options section under the Post New Topic textarea... a feature that would, upon the user hitting submit, would actually search the forum for similar posts. then, the user would be taken to a draft-like screen that (i mean, if there were any results) would give them the option of posting their message to an existing topic instead.

wadayathink?

Re: on post new topic, check for existing similar topics

The thing that instantly occurs to me is when you get a topic where a search would be totally pointless e.g. something of the "OMG wazzup man" variety.

A more suitable alternative might be a quick search box actually on the post form with a message encouraging people to use it.

Re: on post new topic, check for existing similar topics

I'm thinking more like moderators could enforce it, if they chose. it would be really valuable for support boards in particular. so, if the board was configured to do it, you would just see the option to post your message in an existing topic, like with radio buttons. so, say you post something about "merging topics", maybe your entire message (or just the topic title?) would be searched, and then you would see something like a draft screen, with radio buttons like so:

~ post this message to one of the following existing threads, instead of starting a new topic
     ~ blah blah blah
     ~ blo blo blo

~ this subject is not already being covered with an existing thread, post a new topic

i dunno, it might not be feasible, but it certainly is an interesting idea worth considering, no?