Topic: Cache Problem - Already did chmod 777 cache

Hi all,

I've just tried installing punBB some moments ago, and everything went fine until I wrote the config.php file and tried to go to index.php page. Then I received this message:

Error: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'.

I already looked up previous posts for similar problems which I have. The cache folder is alerady set at 777 (drwxrwxrwx), and  there wasn't any .php file in the folder to delete. (In cache exists only an index.html file with only a dot characters between <body> and <head> tags).

O, almost forgot, I tried using version 1.2.6 right away, haven't tried using older version though.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you guys might have,

Thanks a bunch in advance.

-treble-

Re: Cache Problem - Already did chmod 777 cache

Open up include/cache.php and look up:

$fh = @fopen(PUN_ROOT.'cache/cache_config.php', 'wb');

Try removing the @ before fopen. It won't work then either, but at least you'll get PHP's full error message.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hi Rickard,

thx for the reply, here's what the error message looks like

Warning: fopen(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script running as uid 600 is not allowed to write to directory /*****/cache owned by uid 46742 in /*****/include/cache.php on line 89

Warning: fopen(./cache/cache_config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /*****/include/cache.php on line 89

Does this make sense to you in any way? Thx for the reply.

-treble-

Aha, that means you need to change the owner of the cache directory. PHP will only allow you to write to that directory if it is owned by the user with uid=600.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Ooow, sorry for the very long reply, Rickard. Yeah, unfortunately I can't do that, since I don't have that authority to set the directory to be owned user with uid=600. Is there any possibility to tell PunBB to use my uid to write to the cache?

Thx a bunch.

-treble-