Topic: Prevent "non-english" AdSense ads

As some of you might have noticed, a lot of the ads on this site are in Swedish. I honestly have no idea why that is. For example, on the page I'm looking at right now (the post form), there is not a single Swedish word anywhere on the page. I've checked my browser as well and it does not report support for Swedish in any way. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of these Swedish ads? I want english ads only.

Edit. It just occurred to me that Google are probably determining that I'm Swedish based on my IP (doing a GEO IP lookup or something). Hmm. If that's the case, it shouldn't be a problem. Are any non-Swedes seeing Swedish ads?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Prevent "non-english" AdSense ads

I get it as well wink

I see the odd Swedish Ad but I see a more Polish Ads though just on the index page. I assumed it was picking up the words Polskie and Svenska from the index both of which are headers.

I also see a lot of Ads for hotels in Helsingborg on post.php though they are in English

4 (edited by snapsolutions 2005-08-24 01:05)

All the ads are in English smile Maybe google screwed-up something with the IP reverse lookup. As far as I know ads are picked up by your location (IP), or am I wrong?

Are you from Sweden? Google may provide Swedish adverts when they cannot find any english ones, based on the fact that you specified you are Swedish when you registered - I noticed my friend who is Finnish sometimes gets Finnish adverts, yet his webpage is all English.

So why am I getting Swedish and Polish adds. Strangely, I get Swedish when logged on and Polish when lurking as a guest.

And what exactly is Taxikurser i Sverige.

BTW: Only seems to happen on index not on viewforum or viewtopic.

Paul wrote:

So why am I getting Swedish and Polish adds. Strangely, I get Swedish when logged on and Polish when lurking as a guest.

Even when I am not guest I receive those ads on the main page. Reason? Google AdSense selects appropriate ads to display to the user each time the page is viewed. Since we have this (PunBB.fr - PunBB.ru - Polskie Wsparcie - Svenska - ???????) words on the main page I guess it makes sense that google displays ads in Swedish/Polish/Russian.

What ads are displayed when you are here?

Rickard wrote:

Are any non-Swedes seeing Swedish ads?

As I told you before, yes.
I repeatedly am invited to take taxi driving lessons in Sweden although I am in Greece.

I think you can chose in your google ads profile for which countries/languages the ads shall be targeted, at least that's what I could chose.
Just go there and make sure that "Swedish" is not appearing there . Should help.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Tobi wrote:

I think you can chose in your google ads profile for which countries/languages the ads shall be targeted, at least that's what I could chose.
Just go there and make sure that "Swedish" is not appearing there . Should help.

Where?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Taxikurser i Sverige
Taxileg, Starta eget taxiåkeri Intensivkurser, Distanskurser
www.taxikurs.se

Boka konferens genom oss
Vi ger kunnig och personlig hjälp med bokning av er konferens.
www.bokahotell.se

from here

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Dosen't google base its ads on content found on the page it is being displayed on? If so, then you are browsing a site that has sweedish somewhere on the domain, google will put up sweedish ads.

Do, or do not.

google does also base ads on your location (both country and city afaik) i'm sure it uses country

Rickard wrote:
Tobi wrote:

Where?

Here's a screenshot from my adwords account that may tell you where to look.

http://www.disorder.de/files/google_scr7.png

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Tobi: Yes, but that's for the actual advertisers. There's no way for me to prevent non-english ads from showing up in my forums.

Google says it's for the actual clients:

"When you target your ads to geographic locations, you have the following three options:

* Countries: Your ads will appear to customers located in or searching for results in the country or countries you select. This option is best suited for global businesses and merchants who serve specific countries."

Same should go for the languages.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

It's amazing what you can learn with these things. I now know that "tandblekning" is Swedish for "tooth whitening" (or at least I assume it is)

Paul wrote:

It's amazing what you can learn with these things. I now know that "tandblekning" is Swedish for "tooth whitening" (or at least I assume it is)

Indeed it is smile

haha now i got 3 ads telling me to "Learn Swedish Now" "Learn Swedish" "Learn Swedish for Free" lol

I wonder whether specifying the primary language of the board as "en" in the html tag would have any effect?