Topic: Two forums sharing database

Theoretical scenario:
I have two webbservers in a round-robin-dns configuration.
I have one database-server
I set up forum.dom.com to bounce of 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2 for loadbalance and failsafe
Can i have the same forum on two hosts sharing the one database?

Mainserver on 192.168.1.1 is replicating it's www-dir's to 192.168.1.2 so identical copys are present.

Is this possible if a shared networkstorage is not present?

Grasping deep theory here...hey, what else is there to do in 5:45 in the morning =/

Re: Two forums sharing database

Uhm, use a different prefix in the installation configuration and you should be fine? I don't really understand the question tho, with the bouncing and whatnot. Seems like you want do to something more advanced than just having 2 forums on 1 database :)

-

My idea was to have one userbase (one use one installation and post-db), and a primary and backup forumlocation.

maybe forum.xx.com and forum1.xx.com that points to different servrs.
Anyway, i was just curious if it would work, and i'll do some testing in the week to see if there's any think to consider other then keeping the main config the same...

i don't think that would be a problem. you'd just have to use the same sql database i think. But why would you want to do this? you could just link to the same forum...

hmm... wouldn't it be possible that one cookie isn't recognized by the other server, thus screwing up the last post, last online and such?

As you wannot fix that in the admin-options, and you cannot get the cookie from the other server from the browser either ... or is there a way to do this?

RNilsson wrote:

Can i have the same forum on two hosts sharing the one database?

No problem. You would have to connect to the database over TCP/IP though, which has higher overhead than UNIX sockets, but if it's a switched 100MBit LAN, it shouldn't be much.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ophidian wrote:

i don't think that would be a problem. you'd just have to use the same sql database i think. But why would you want to do this? you could just link to the same forum...

I can't link to the same forum if they are on two different ip's shared by one dns-name.

Frank H wrote:

hmm... wouldn't it be possible that one cookie isn't recognized by the other server, thus screwing up the last post, last online and such?

As you wannot fix that in the admin-options, and you cannot get the cookie from the other server from the browser either ... or is there a way to do this?

Not neccessarly (spelling) since the cookie is client-based, and as long as the servers are in time-sync.

You only visit one server at the time.

I see that it is possible to have more then one forum sharing db as per this link: http://punbb.org/stuff/edited_by.png

Unless ofcourse you copied the db as well, Kennel big_smile

It's a copy actually :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

RNilsson wrote:
Not neccessarly (spelling) since the cookie is client-based, and as long as the servers are in time-sync.

You only visit one server at the time.

True, but what if you on friday vistis server1.xx.com, and get your cookie set up, so it know when you last were there.
On saturday you then visit server2.xx.com ... then you aren't using the cookie that server1.xx.com made, right? ... but it uses the cookie server2.xx.com made the last time the person was there. Right?

Well, you could just set the cookie for the whole domain (.xx.com) instead of specifying a specific server.