Topic: Problems when sending new mails from PunBB.

Hi!

A while ago i converted my phpBB forum to PunBB and I really like it. But there's one problem for me. When punBB wants to send an e-mail when a user register or request his/her password i get the following error message (With debug on).

An error was encountered
File: /var/www/forum/include/email.php
Line: 96

PunBB reported: Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message: "553 Authentication is required to send mail as "

I tought that was weird so i tried to send a mail from my ordinary mail client and used the same SMTP server that punBB uses and i got no errors. So there is probably no error with authentication. Any suggestion what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Problems when sending new mails from PunBB.

Hm. I tried sending a mail to another user via the forum and that worked fine. But E-mails when people tries to register doesn't work. sad

Hmm, tricky. Does your forum title contain a colon (the character, that is)?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yes, the title contained a "," and when i removed it mailing worked perfectly. Thanks!

It has been fixed in PunBB 1.2. Just so you know :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Greetings,

I'm running PunBB 1.2.6 (nope - haven't updated yet) and I got a '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)' message recently.

I think at least one person is subscribed to this forum, so I take it that is what triggere the mail.  Based on you previous comment, I'm guessing it was caused because the first line of text in the post was terminated by a ";".  What do you think?

I doubt it. It appears the error you're receiving is your mail server telling you that it won't send e-mail to that particular e-mail domain, whatever it may be.

I have just had the same issue: I am running 1.2.14. But I discovered that I had the wrong email for the webmaster in settings -- not too sure if that caused the problem. I have to wait for somebody to complain. smile

Ok. Somebody complained. It turns out that using punbb's email form for email addresses other that the hosting domain is returning the error 553.

I've just overcome it by entering the Username for SMTP server and Password for SMTP server 'tho it says "Only enter a password if it is required by the SMTP server (most servers *do not* require authentication)."

So, by authenticating -- any issues there? I ask because of the bold type.

No, there is no issue with authenticating: that's why it's there tongue