1 (edited by Tobi 2005-09-29 19:26)

Topic: PunBB Internationalization

There is one thing that doesn't leave my mind for a while:

I think that PunBB would win a lot of popularity if it would be available in several languages.
And I don't mean the possibility to install language packs, I mean everything:
- Download page
- Installer
- Default language

all in the tongue of those interested.
The reasons why I think this would be a step ahead for PunBB:

1. There are many people out there who don't speak english, or not well enough
2. Even for those who do it is more convenient to have the interface in the language they speak natively.
3. Why should one go through all the procedure in English when his board is meant to run only in French/Spanish/Kisuaheli?

Think of all the big Open Source projects like Firefox or OpenOffice: They are available in the most exotic languages.
I wrote a German installer for PunBB and I was surprised how many people downloaded it although my site is new and not known too well yet.
(In Germany phpBB is the big thing, and VBulletin because ... they are available in German....)

My idea was:
- A system where a user can chose the language for "his" PunBB. The system will look if a corresponding download file exists already, if not create one by adding the wanted language file to the source and compress it, then deliver it for download, keeping a copy for the next person asking for it. No big magick.
- A multi language installer basing on language files like the rest of PunBB.
It exists, I wrote it and sent it to Rickard.

He does not seem to hate the idea, so what do you all think?

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

2 (edited by Speechless 2005-09-29 19:42)

Re: PunBB Internationalization

Well you have a good point, rickard for the next pun version, apart from the english language add these: spanish, german, french, chinese. They are the most common ones.

As for a download page(s), well no one have submit the codes. The most sufficent ones are François and Punres, We know Punress is inbeded so it would be impossible. So I am try to get the code from François.

Well, someone will make a menu on the bottom someday to let users switch languages and skins. I am working on that for u.

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

Well I've been completly rewriting admin to make it tableless and have been converting it over to using language files (actually one language file) as I've been going along so admin is taken care of. It wouldn't be much of a job to insert language file variables for the install script as I have to go through all the markup anyway if Rickard wants to do it. This is for version 1.3 of course not the current one. If making the install script multi language requires anymore than that then I will leave the rest to the professionals.

The answer to the question you actually asked is that I agree with you. I think if you support multiple languages then you support them all the way otherwise you restrict the uptake to the geeky sector of the market among non English speakers.

P.S. Dont forget "her" PunBB.

4 (edited by Tobi 2005-09-29 20:10)

Yeah, that's a point I didn't mention - the admin area.
But I already read someweher that somebody took care of it....

Paul wrote:

It wouldn't be much of a job to insert language file variables for the install script as I have to go through all the markup anyway if Rickard wants to do it. This is for version 1.3 of course not the current one. If making the install script multi language requires anymore than that then I will leave the rest to the professionals.

As I said: I already did it for 1.2.8 and it would be no science to adapt it for 1.3, so do not worry about that. smile

Paul wrote:

P.S. Dont forget "her" PunBB.

Oh, I thought she could take care of her PunBB herself. And it could do as well, to be safe on the PC side of things wink

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

When the time comes to release 1.3, I will make the necessary changes to allow fully internationalised downloads. I will however not translate the downloads page here at punbb.org. Keeping that things up to date with multiple language versions will be hell. If people are unable to navigate to the downloads page and to find the file to download, so be it.

Doesn't this mean the documentation must be translated as well? Then what happens when I make a change in the documentation?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I should make it clear, when I said multi language versions should be supported all the way I was talking about the script itself not the ancillary stuff.

I would have thought that when it comes to documentation, like the language packs, that would be down to the good will of translators. If people want to provide non English versions of the documentation I doubt anybody is going to try and stop them.

Anyways most forum software at least have the common five: english, spanish, german, french, chinese. At least i believe that for the first 4 adds up 60-70% of pun users. I have no idea of the chinese yet.

And before 1.3 is realise, there should be a forums for specific people, to help you to get it done, and also they have use punbb so, they can tell you most of its bad side.

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

Rickard wrote:

I will however not translate the downloads page here at punbb.org. Keeping that things up to date with multiple language versions will be hell. If people are unable to navigate to the downloads page and to find the file to download, so be it.

That shouldn't be the problem. The word "Download" is widely understood... wink
Also you can have sites in the respective languages linking directly to the download files.

Paul wrote:

I would have thought that when it comes to documentation, like the language packs, that would be down to the good will of translators. If people want to provide non English versions of the documentation I doubt anybody is going to try and stop them.

I think that internationalization requires more involvement of the community anyway.
I translated the documentation to German and that took me 5 hours. Not too much for an average life span. smile

I believe the key is just to make all these versions easily accessible. That would imply that either there is somebody responsible for each language on PunBB.org who takes care of an up to date documentation and the lang files - or everybody who wants makes up his (@Paul:I really mean "her" wink ) website to promote that language. This is now the case for Poland, Russia, France and Germany.
This way takes load from Rickards server as well as responsibility.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de