Topic: life as a forum-admin!

I don't know if there is a similar thread here already, forgive me if there is.

I thought it would be fun to exchange some experiences from our forums.  I'm sure we all have experienced some crazy people, or other things worth a laugh smile

I had a new member join a couple of days ago, she's bloody insane. She used her first 15 posts to argue with all of my mods, and when banned, she started sending offensive emails to me! lol

Here is one mail: "I'm gonna keep signing onto different computers and tell people what a piece of shit that you are. So expect that people will hear all about your twisted, distorted objectivity...There are millions of computers at my disposal so expect to be hit and hit like a mother fucker you peice of shit..........."

She continued the next day with this lovely mail:
"Like I said yesterday all this means is that i am going to continue to hammer you with my access to many computers..you coulda responded maturely but you don't have the balls or the decency so expect to get hammered and get hammered mercilessly....YOU FAG"

!!! Have any of you encountered any such lunatics? lol

Re: life as a forum-admin!

i like to email a troll his in-depth whois page and see them try to troll some more. it's worked every time so far.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

i had a group of 3 girls once spam my entire forum with one word posts. they thought they were being funny/cute. i banned them all.

Endre that girl must not be too smart if she went on another computer instead of using proxies.

I had some guy asked to be a mod (I think it was a 10 year old kid) I said no and he kept asking so then I told him to define mod. He did not respond but he posted a message say he was not welcomed. WTF is with that?

Ooh, this is one of my favorites tongue
A friend of mine got access to the admin account on some freaky game and started messing around with it. He got some mails from people ingame and he responded, telling them he hacked the game. He got a response from one person: can I be admin? tongue

shinko_metsuo wrote:

Endre that girl must not be too smart if she went on another computer instead of using proxies.

I had some guy asked to be a mod (I think it was a 10 year old kid) I said no and he kept asking so then I told him to define mod. He did not respond but he posted a message say he was not welcomed. WTF is with that?

lol, I've also run into people who keeps asking/expection to be mods. Quite often I'm more likely to ban them than making them mods. Some people just have no social skills at all.
I've also had a few people who join, and ONLY use the PM-system to send junk and insults to others. What kind of lives do these people have?!

I've had some to join and advertise there lame freeboard forum with bad looks and 2 memebers then leave.

I delete the name and the topic

Well, thats just how it is when you have a successful foprums people want a piece of the pie, and when they get it they are most likely to abuse there power. So my advice is to only make mods out of people you know, or people who know something about you forum topic.

I've had one person invade my forums. He was a quite a well know troll on the GameFAQs.com forums. I think he is now KOS (kill on sight) there. Since my site is linked with GameFAQs he used that as a reason to invade. He only came the once and I IP banned him straight away.

I'm a moderator in the SweClockers forums and I'm telling you, we've run into some real idiots. I remember one guy who got hold of my home address and threatened to "hurt" me. This was after I banned him for some stupid stunt like posting a link to goatse or something.

We have a list of all members that have been warned and/or banned throughout the years. That list does not fit in one post, so we've had to split it up into several posts in the admin forum.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

11 (edited by shinko_metsuo 2005-05-21 18:03)

Demon123 wrote:

Well, thats just how it is when you have a successful foprums people want a piece of the pie, and when they get it they are most likely to abuse there power. So my advice is to only make mods out of people you know, or people who know something about you forum topic.

My forum is not very successful. I have 25 members and only 5 of them (including me) post. I have my forum for community views not to race others in members and hits.

Fire Fusion wrote:

I've had one person invade my forums. He was a quite a well know troll on the GameFAQs.com forums. I think he is now KOS (kill on sight) there. Since my site is linked with GameFAQs he used that as a reason to invade. He only came the once and I IP banned him straight away.

I made a forum that was badly made (I'm a n00b thats why I have punbb now) it had a list of IPs from KOS members that were on GameFAQs.

I post at a few big forums, and there are a lot of dumb***es..

A while ago someone start spamming like hell, till the admin shut down the forums.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Fresh Hacked, see my site (news) www.parmaja.com
i keep the hacker user to incrase my users count, and i dont like to fight any one tongue

After restoring, the Hacker visite me
http://www.parmaja.com/forums/viewtopic … d=144#p144

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

If you feel like getting their site shut down, just report them to the arbornet.org people tongue

Endre wrote:

I don't know if there is a similar thread here already, forgive me if there is.

I thought it would be fun to exchange some experiences from our forums.  I'm sure we all have experienced some crazy people, or other things worth a laugh smile

I had a new member join a couple of days ago, she's bloody insane. She used her first 15 posts to argue with all of my mods, and when banned, she started sending offensive emails to me! lol

Here is one mail: "I'm gonna keep signing onto different computers and tell people what a piece of **** that you are. So expect that people will hear all about your twisted, distorted objectivity...There are millions of computers at my disposal so expect to be hit and hit like a mother ****** you peice of ****..........."

She continued the next day with this lovely mail:
"Like I said yesterday all this means is that i am going to continue to hammer you with my access to many computers..you coulda responded maturely but you don't have the balls or the decency so expect to get hammered and get hammered mercilessly....YOU FAG"

!!! Have any of you encountered any such lunatics? lol

If any of you are going to quote cuss words, PLEASE replace them with ****'s.

errm... thats not really up to you this isn't your forum

Ok, but it's just a courtesy to other users to censor out bad words.

I find that sometimes a cuss word is in order: http://hcgtv.com/item/64

Maybe we should get back on topic. smile

scottywz wrote:

Ok, but it's just a courtesy to other users to censor out bad words.

How about the courtesy to respect the rules set by the admins of this forum?

The entire point of me quoting those emails was to show the bad way that some people act. If I censor away the message, the point is lost.

That's enough of that. Back on topic, please.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I just realized something

the guy that asked to be a mod on my forum did not read the rules (it says Read and agree)

Moderators
Im the only one that can assign moderators. If you show that you are a good person, and I feel you deserve it, I will make you a moderator. Begging to be a moderator will get you no where. If you do, that will pretty much ruin your chances of becoming one

Hi Endre-- unfortunately lunacy is everywhere...  Here's one I got from my #1 crazy ex-member:

....I learnt that some people have power problems, because in life they
don't have any other place where they feel powerful , because they
always feel weak, and like shit. That's why they like to make people
feel weak. That way they satisfy their urge to be important. But They
can not understand one fact that, they can not be important by using
Hitler like attitudes. Hitler had to commit suicide at the end ya >
know.

Why don't you ban yourself one day?

You have problems Molly. Accept it.

AND XXXXX AND ALL OTHER PEOPLE ARE BETTER THAN YOU, PULL YOUR HAIR
AWWW HAHAHAHAHAHA

I have never had someone beg to be an admin though..  I guess they know better!  smile

-starshiner

starshiner:
Wow, is all I can say to that.  There are way too many people out there like that, and the most that you can do is ban them or try to identify proxies, etc.

-Steve

On my old forums (it was quite active)
I had a very trusted moderator that for no reason started attacking my forum.
He ran a script that auto-posted in all forums, so in a few hours (I was sleeping) my forum had millions of spam posts.
I had no choice but to re-install my forums with the latest back-up. It wasn't too bad, the last backup was quite recent.
So yep, my moderator was banned, blocked, quarantined, never talked to him since then.