Topic: From phpBB to punBB - Members reactions

I have just converted my board at http://www.johnlennonforum.com to punBB. Although I opened the discussion to the moderators group and, later, in the open board for all the members to give their opinion, I still get a few members complaining about the change.

While I never expected to please everyone with this choice, I don't understand why people complain so much about something we do that we are really convinced was the best decision. Although they are only a few, I seem to be running out of arguments with some, to whom, in my opinion, it's all resumed to the fact that they were used to phpBB and nothing else.

I believe many of you have also been through this process and what I'm looking for is to have an open discussion on how to minimalize the side effects on members (and the board itself) of changing the software.

If we all share our experiences, maybe we can help all the others thinking about doing the same.

Thank you.

Visit the John Lennon Forum, the kindest of all Lennon's message boards

Re: From phpBB to punBB - Members reactions

I began using phpBB on the Nucleus forum as a user, I later became a moderator.

When I first encountered PunBB, there were some things I missed but I learned to adapt. Today I feel right at home in either but I feel I am faster using PunBB. The pages render faster and for carrying on a conversation, you just can't beat it.

Now If you want fancy graphics, smilies on acid trips, etc. Then phpBB, SMF or Vbulletin would be for you.

Most users are just creatures of habit, it's what they've become used to and even if you show them a better way, they'll continue down the same path irregardless.

Currently, I follow forums using the following software:
phpBB
PunBB
Invision Power Board
vBulletin
Simpleboard

They each have their good and bad, but I prefer PunBB over anything free or paid.

i have also used other software before i start using punbb. i guess the main reason is that Invision Power Board was starting to stop free version of it, i started looking for a new software. at first i start using punbb, but i did not want to registrate yet, guess to keep my mind, open. Later i start liking this software, and end up join the forum.

Well there are disadvantages, but the disadvantage can be solve by asking some one to make a new mod. smile

[well, the follow software suggest to u by hcgtv, is ok, however, don't expect that u are going to get what u want there. Most mods have not gone as advance as punbb, and some of them are intergration]

and the final advantage for punbb: it is easy to modify.

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

Another big + is that it's not bogged down with tables... UG

I hate phpBB, and so does the rest of my staff.  I've had people complain about it, saying that we should convert.  Too bad, I like PunBB.  My website moved from a custom system to PunBB.  The custom system looked a lot like PunBB (in simplicity) from the outside, although the code was a bit messy.

Plus PunBB only has a cool user community and people to get help from, while with the custom code we were up the creak without a paddle. big_smile  Luckily I knew how my own code worked though. wink

beatle wrote:

I have just converted my board at http://www.johnlennonforum.com to punBB. Although I opened the discussion to the moderators group and, later, in the open board for all the members to give their opinion, I still get a few members complaining about the change.

While I never expected to please everyone with this choice, I don't understand why people complain so much about something we do that we are really convinced was the best decision. Although they are only a few, I seem to be running out of arguments with some, to whom, in my opinion, it's all resumed to the fact that they were used to phpBB and nothing else.

I believe many of you have also been through this process and what I'm looking for is to have an open discussion on how to minimalize the side effects on members (and the board itself) of changing the software.

If we all share our experiences, maybe we can help all the others thinking about doing the same.

Thank you.

I have never had a development project that I have needed a forum until now, and I stumbled upon punbb, and fell in love. 

Maybe you could share the arguments that you have received, and we can help you make your arguments.  If there are features that aren't already part of PunBB that you would like, check out http://www.punres.org or submit a feature request here.

I am building a site right now that is based around the PunBB framework, and am able to add features easily.

Let me know, all of us here are able to help.

-Steve

Over and above all the other above comments [which are dead on IMHO] I feel it is important to mention that PunBB will be a _lot_ more secure.

In a word, the folks at phpbb.com just can't keep with the script kiddies that manage to hack it.

We kept our version of phpbb updated [well, as best as possible] and we still got hacked - three times. [!!!]

Once was enough.  We migrated to PunBB and never looked back.

You may of already mentioned this, but for completeness sake ...

1) PunBB provides a more secure environment for your members. They should thank you for that, not badger you.

2) The fact of the matter is, you just don't have enough time to keep phpbb updated every week.  [looks away]  >:)

Who has the time to continually update phpbb?  It's a pain in the butt, especially when you're a busy webmaster doing other stuff.

3) Support for PunBB is head and shoulders better than support for phpbb.

For example, I posted a problem to phpbb' "issues" forum - I took the time to fill out their silly formated form just so I could get my problem across.  I waited exactly 2 minutes, re-loaded the page and my post had slid down to the bottom just that fast.

The moral of that story is I knew full well they weren't going to answer my post [and they never did].  It wasn't because it was a hard one to answer.  It was only because they just couldn't keep up with the influx of posts streaming in.  No one could, especially in a all volunteer environment.

I'm sure others may disagree with my points, and that is ok.  I'm used to getting beat up around here.

But these issues alone should help 'sell' PunBB to anyone who understands boards of this genre, especially when considering the suggestions mentioned above.

Thank you all for your input. Now, less than a month after the conversion, the protest are residual. Mostly, the protests are based around the PM system. People were very used to the phpBB PM system, being alerted by email and all that. Actually, in the beggining I tried to get rid of the PM system but was pressured not to do so. Everything else is much more quite and, so far, I feel my main purpose has been achieved: improve the quality of the posts. I know this is very subjective but with all phpBB graphics it looked like the board was more appealing to "less serious" members than it is now. I don't know, maybe it's too soon too reach this conclusion.

The board is working perfectly and I'm very pleased with it. I think that, in the end, the members will give me reason.

Also, with almost 1200 members, I thought it was time to concentrate on quality instead of quantity. Wish me luck. wink

Visit the John Lennon Forum, the kindest of all Lennon's message boards