Topic: I hate databases...

Your forum is really simple and fast... that's good!
Unfortunately I hate databases... and I prefer forum in plain text. Mayb you could add such option in next releases...
Good work!

Re: I hate databases...

Having a plain text alternative would be very cool, but it would also involve a whole lot of coding. Frankly, I doubt I will ever add flatfile db support to PunBB. Sorry :/

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

There exists some textfile database projects, a few of them uses sql syntax, thats maybe a way to do it?

Yeah, that's an options. If anything, it would then be SQLite (which is bundled with PHP5 btw). It supports almost all of SQL92.

Edit: I've been checking out SQLite a bit, and it seems really cool. It's faaast!

Edit2: Checking out SQLite more thoroughly is now on the TODO-list.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Saving data into plain text would be very insecure.

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

Wouldn't it be, in principle, the same as having a "regular" database? I mean, the database is a file in both cases? And, at least in NIX, you have file permissions, right?

-

I can't really see how using an embedded database system like SQLite should be more unsecure than i.e. running MySQL.