Topic: Interesting new forum software

Take a look here: http://getvanilla.com/

With Vanilla we wanted to break the mold created and followed by just about every other forum on the web. We sat down and thought about what we liked, and more importantly, what we didn't like about web forums. We wanted emphasis on the discussions rather than the statistics. We wanted to stop using MSN or AIM to send secret messages to other forum members; We wanted to be able to save the common searches. Basically, we wanted the thing to work for us instead of against us. Most importantly we wanted it to be free and we wanted it to run on just about every web server out there. So, Vanilla is a PHP / MySQL solution that is 100% open-source. You can take it and alter it and use it free of charge.  The GPL is your friend.

Re: Interesting new forum software

Hm... intresting:)

Hm... every pixel has it's own destiny

Well, the standard layout...OK, it's different....

The source code is pretty clean. However, I doubt that PHP beginners will be able to tweak it as easily as they can with PunBB.
It's all class files, parser, templates and such.
It's not a bad approach but not noob friendly at all.

I wonder if it's possible to give it a decent layout.

But what they have against statistics I don't know... smile

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

It's plain..
It's alright I guess, but there's nothing special about those forums. The style isn't all that great, and well I like statistics so it's definatly not for me smile
PunBB > *

I've tried it. I was posting over there for a bit.

Anyways, I found it much slower than punBB. I like some of the ideas (no initial categories...only organized on an alternate page) - stuff like the whisper method...would like this better than PM system. Also the cleanliness of the posting area. Nothing to muddle it up - all centralized around the posts.

erissiva wrote:

I like some of the ideas (no initial categories...only organized on an alternate page)

I do agree (so I'm using alexking active posts mod, a must have fonctionality in my opinon, one thing I loved when using miniBB, really useful).

don't like at all ... "too TEXT". Perfect for LYNX or WAP ... but even if there are no graphics, a little LAYOUT would be cool.

Stay in punBB, the best, really.