Topic: Limit Permissions of Moderators

I hope that I'm puttig this in the correct forum.

I would like to change the permissions of the moderator group restricting them to move topics/posts, rather than outright deleting them.

I changed the Delete Topic option to "no", but mods are still able to delete entire topics, including topics posted by the admin.

Please, tell me if I am doing something wrong, or missing something.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Limit Permissions of Moderators

I think that I managed to find my own solution.

1. I disabled the delete link in viewtopic.php for the mods.
2. I changed the moderate.php to first check to see who is logged in, Admin or Mod.
If the Admin is logged in the Delete button is available, otherwise it's not.

What I don't get is, why have moderators that you don't trust, having any sort of control over your board? Seems a little... weird to me.

IdleFire wrote:

What I don't get is, why have moderators that you don't trust, having any sort of control over your board? Seems a little... weird to me.

I agree... What is the point in having a moderator with no power. LoL

I did have 1 mod that was a mate from work and he deleted good posts from users my advice is tell your mods what is right to delete or just not have them as mods go the human way smile

Free games/arcade at dlngle.com

Well, I make up for that by having a 'deleted posts' section, and therefore nothing's ever really lost - I can retrieve any of them. I guess you could do the same, and make it so no-one can see the forum except you, and maybe moderators.

j2k4b wrote:
IdleFire wrote:

I agree... What is the point in having a moderator with no power. LoL

IdleFire, I do have a "deleted" files section.
Let me clarify, it's not that I don't trust their judgment, it's just that a mod accidently deleted a very long thread, when they only intended to "move" it. We're all really new to running a forum, so I just want to rule out "newbie" errors smile

I say then just get rid of the 'delete' button from viewtopic.php tongue

IdleFire wrote:

I say then just get rid of the 'delete' button from viewtopic.php tongue

Already did that, yesterday. Thanks anyway smile