Topic: Little fun Idea.. :)

PunBB needs money (as seen here) I came up with these ideas.

1) We, as a community, create a complete RPG text-based game, using the PunBB script. We brainstorm together, everyone can come up with their own idea and eventually we'll come up with a neat idea, and then coders help each other creating a code (PunBB backened) that will end up being put up together, and create something fun.
What will this bring:
- Popularity to PunBB.
- Money off Google Ads
- Traffic
- Fun

2) Again, as a community we create modifications (mods), semi-/professional modifications (or skins) that will be sold on the PunBB index. I'm sure Rickard would be able to come up with a nice and professional explanation on why mods are being sold.
- Money
- Happyness

What do you think?

Re: Little fun Idea.. :)

I'm not sure about mods being "sold," but maybe volunteers could install mods for people for a reasonable price, with proceeds going to PunBB and/or the mod's author.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Actually, when my website's open source CMS launches I'm planning on offering PunBB support packages (as the product will use PunBB for a forum).  I plan to donate 50-60% to the project.  It's a little way that I can help.

I still need to put together all of my mods, I have close to a dozen.  I have PM system way before the mod came out.  I just never thought about publishing them.

PunBB doesn't really need your money. I just want to buy 90 pixels on milliondollarhomepage.com big_smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well, even so, Rickard..

It would be a good idea smile

6 (edited by Speechless 2005-09-30 04:27)

Well  for now when are trying to get rickard to do the obvious things.
-change the last post from being a time to title.
-add more language pack in the actual download, including french, spanish, german, and chinese
-convert the pm mod into an actual feature.
-intergrate connordh's miniportal. it is good except the links on the right, they should look more like the admin ones

The punRPG is currently on halt since connorhd hasn't given me the full specs he wants.

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

Speechless wrote:

Well  for now when are trying to get rickard to do the obvious things.

I agree, that would be nice.
However, it can very easily be done yourself. I did it on some of my boards, it's even too small to call it a mod.

First, open index.php and go to line 42:

$result = $db->query('SELECT c.id AS cid, c.cat_name, f.id AS fid, f.forum_name, f.forum_desc, f.redirect_url, f.moderators, f.num_topics, f.num_posts, f.last_post, f.last_post_id, f.last_poster FROM '.$db->prefix.'categories AS c INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON c.id=f.cat_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forum_perms AS fp ON (fp.forum_id=f.id AND fp.group_id='.$pun_user['g_id'].') WHERE fp.read_forum IS NULL OR fp.read_forum=1 ORDER BY c.disp_position, c.id, f.disp_position', true) or error('Unable to fetch category/forum list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

Change this to

$result = $db->query('SELECT c.id AS cid, c.cat_name, f.id AS fid, f.forum_name, f.forum_desc, f.redirect_url, f.moderators, f.num_topics, f.num_posts, f.last_post, f.last_post_id, f.last_poster, t.subject FROM '.$db->prefix.'categories AS c INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON c.id=f.cat_id 
LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'posts as p on p.id=f.last_post_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'topics as t on p.topic_id=t.id
LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forum_perms AS fp ON (fp.forum_id=f.id AND fp.group_id='.$pun_user['g_id'].') WHERE fp.read_forum IS NULL OR fp.read_forum=1 ORDER BY c.disp_position, c.id, f.disp_position', true) or error('Unable to fetch category/forum list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

Now find this around line 109

// If there is a last_post/last_poster.
    if ($cur_forum['last_post'] != '')
        $last_post = '<a href="viewtopic.php?pid='.$cur_forum['last_post_id'].'#p'.$cur_forum['last_post_id'].'">'.format_time($cur_forum['last_post']).'</a> <span class="byuser">'.$lang_common['by'].' '.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_forum['last_poster']).'</span>';

and change it to:

if ($cur_forum['last_post'] != '')
        $last_post = '<a href="viewtopic.tbi?pid='.$cur_forum['last_post_id'].'#p'.$cur_forum['last_post_id'].'" style="font-weight:bold">'.$cur_forum['subject'].'</a><br />'.
        $lang_common['by'].' '.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_forum['last_poster']).'<br />
        <a href="viewtopic.tbi?pid='.$cur_forum['last_post_id'].'#p'.$cur_forum['last_post_id'].'">'.format_time($cur_forum['last_post']).'</a> <span class="byuser">';

This will show you both the subject and the date.

Speechless wrote:

-add more language pack in the actual download, including french, spanish, german, and chinese

I asked Rickard for that and he said  (and he is most probably right there) that once you do that everybody wants his/her/its language to be included. The multi-language download system will do it more efficiently: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8957

Speechless wrote:

-convert the pm mod into an actual feature.

What I love about PunBB is that it does not fall for everybody wanting his favourite mod to become a feature smile
No offense meant, but f.e. I see no use for a PM at all, never did and never used it anywhere. So I really appreciate a board *without* it ....
I don't mean to start a discussion on how useful a PM is, it's just an example.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

This question is for Rickard:
If we made a complete rpg game, based on PunBB, would you want to run it on punbb.org, for example, punbb.org/rpg?
Would you help us building it?
Now, take note that I don't want any scrap on PunBB (cause it's so nice and perfect right now smile) so I wouldn't ask you to upload and launch the first version we actually come up with, I want it to be good and a somehow complete before we launch it.

9 (edited by Speechless 2005-09-30 17:01)

nope. connorhd would be the one helping, but he doesn't want to write the script. I am halted from writing the sript a) we don't know when 1.3 comes out, or when connorhd will send me the spec list

[as for tobi, i said "it would be nice to have the last topic a the actual title of the topic since narly all i know of except phpbb, does this" any ways thxs for the script eventhough i have it.

the PM mod is not useless entirely. if you have rpg then obviously you will need it. It also depends on how close your forum community is. The closer, they would send private messages to each other. That save them form going to their email, which is two clicks instead of one simple one.]

10 (edited by Tobi 2005-09-30 17:48)

Speechless wrote:

i said "it would be nice to have the last topic a the actual title of the topic since narly all i know of except phpbb, does this"

Sorry, but you said

Speechless wrote:

But maybe you meant something else ... tongue
Can you explain how you mean this? Maybe it's easy to do. I'm always trying to tweak the whole thing to make it better...

Speechless wrote:

the PM mod is not useless entirely.

I did not say it is useless for you.
I said it is totally and absolutely useless for me. Which I took as an example how views can differ and that I appreciate PunB having only the features that really everybody needs.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

well that settles it doesn't it? as for the the last post from being a time to title, just make a tiny switch in profile and options for peoeple.

Speechless, before you make posts like this, use the search feature, we have debated these things before.

As for selling mods, i think that is an extremely bad idea, (i don't think people paying for mods to be made or donating to punbb is though tongue)

I agree.
I think in the long run it will inevitably lead to PunBB vs PunBB light, the latter missing all the real cool geek stuff. wink
This is not what Open Source is about imo.
However, Linus Torvalds is not an exceptionally poor man from what I know, meaning:
The profit you gain from OS development is always an indirect one. Somebody might have no clue how to install and pay you to do for it. Or somebody may invite you to speak at a congress because you are the mod wizard.From this income you can always donate a share to the project that enabled this income.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Hello there!!!
    I have been trying to work out how to make a RPG game for PunBB but simply don't know how. If there was coders willing to help you could use my server http://www.dlngle.com as the playground for the site. Of coarse all the money can go back to whomever helps 'ie punbb' and I would love to get lots of people to my site. So anybody willing? I can rake up a whole lot of features for an rpg but coding is not my strong point wink

Free games/arcade at dlngle.com

Have a look at this, http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8682 i am still thinking about how the rpg mod will work so i'm up for any ideas.

Connorhd wrote:

Have a look at this, http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8682 i am still thinking about how the rpg mod will work so i'm up for any ideas.

Perhaps we could open a new topic and brainstorm as a whole big family?

ultime wrote:

Perhaps we could open a new topic and brainstorm as a whole big family?

I think that would be the best