Topic: New version-thingy

Just came up with an idea that shouldn't be so hard to implement on the adminpages...

How about making the admins aware of that there is a newer punBB out?
i.e When I log into my adminpages there comes a tiny popup (I HATE POPUPS) that tells me that there is a new version out...or something like that.

Re: New version-thingy

Maybe check one a week, and add a field 'last_checked' in the options-table and just have code in the admin-area compare time() > last_check+(1week in seconds) and display some orange 24px flashing text saying a new version gets out (no popup smile and then also store the new version in the options-table and update that field when the new board is installed and make the text go away?

3 (edited by Piggymon 2003-09-03 13:59)

I don't know if that's so necessary, really. I mean it's not a bad feature but as a forum admin you're likely to be online a whole lot, and a visit to PunBB.org doesn't take that long. You'll probably want to visit PunBB anyway, looking for mods, security information and so on. Furthermore, PunBB will be so big that you'll hear about every new release anyway :)

-

Well, personally I don't like software that "calls home" too much, but I'll think about it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

If it's featurized (is there such a word?) make it a default 'off' option that admin can flip on so it wont put punbb.org into a sinkhole.

And the versionscheck could ust be a file, ie: current-version.php, that only returns a string like '1.0.1' and compare with the current board version that 'calls home'...

Yeah, but isn't it just easier to visit punbb.org then? :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Probably, but it was suggested and i'm just giving my input big_smile

if you do 9implement this make it huge that way it will annoy him, just kidding.

It would be annoying to have this. But if you were going to do it, do it like an RSS feed. You know, like those news ticker scripts out there.

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

the reason I asked was the fast rate Kennels work progresses and I always want to have the newest version running