1 (edited by lament 2005-10-23 20:47)

Topic: using 1.2.8 live while using 1.2.9 in dev?

hey all,

I'm running 1.2.8 and I'm relaunching a site on November 1, and I'll have upgraded to 1.2.9 at that time.

As I'm currently redesigning the site, and I wanted to know if I can just unzip and upload the 1.2.9 files into my dev folder where the new design is and copy over the config file from 1.2.8 and run it as normal.

or would I have to change some cookie settings?  are there any db changes in 1.2.9 from 1.2.8?

I don't really want to post or do any admin from the 1.2.9 install while i'm redesigning. I just want to see what it will look like and tweak some colors, etc.

Then when it's time to launch the site, just copy the 1.2.9 install into its proper location.

thanks!

Re: using 1.2.8 live while using 1.2.9 in dev?

That should be fine, there are no db changes.

lament wrote:

As I'm currently redesigning the site, and I wanted to know if I can just unzip and upload the 1.2.9 files into my dev folder where the new design is and copy over the config file from 1.2.8 and run it as normal.

Yes.

lament wrote:

or would I have to change some cookie settings?  are there any db changes in 1.2.9 from 1.2.8?

If the new site is accessed through a different URL, yes, maybe. Depends on whether you've changed the cookie settings already or if you run with the default (an empty string). If you change URLs, you will also have to update the base URL.

There are no db changes except for the version bump.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by lament 2005-10-23 21:31)

hmm.. domain string is empty, and when i put everything into the dev folder, it is still looking like as if it wasn't in the dev folder.

so i need to map the domain cookie string to the new dev folder and clear my cookies for it to take the default style back?

oh wait.. where do I edit the base URL?

No, nevermind the domain cookie string. If it was empty before, just leave it like that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I went back to an empty string and it still has my previous template, even though I uploaded the 1.2.9 files brand new and just copied the config over.

I don't get it. There were no template changes between 1.2.8 and 1.2.9. It was a very small update to deal with a vulnerability.

I haven't changed the base URL yet. will changing this in the new installation affect my current setup?

If they use the same database, yes.

10 (edited by lament 2005-10-23 23:23)

they use the same db.

so there is no way to mirror this in a dev folder, then, because the base URLs have to be the same? because I can't change the base URL to the dev folder, obviously, because the site redesign is not done yet.

Well, if you leave the base url pointing to your current installation, you will have problems doing certain things as mod/admin in the dev forums. Other than that, the forums will work. Give it a go. If you run into trouble, just ask and we'll work it out.