Topic: Version Ideas

I know we have discussed version changes but I can't remember which thread it was. Here is some of the ideas I heard.

1.2.10 <-- Okay

1.3.0 <-- Fine

1.2.9 Build 101 <-- My idea

1.2.9 Build 102 <-- Next version

I hope you all understand where I am going with this. You can even do this.

1.2.9 B101 or use 1.2.9 P101 (P means PunBB) smile

Re: Version Ideas

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how adding a build number would improve anything? What's wrong with the current versioning scheme? Also, build number only make sense for things that you actually build (as in compiled applications).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Just a thought. My idea process is a little off.... Sorry!

j2k4b wrote:

Just a thought. My idea process is a little off.... Sorry!

Haha, apology accepted smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

You can add svn revision number after commit the source

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Yes, but why?

7 (edited by dlngle12 2005-10-25 03:46)

I dont know about anyone else but it sure would be nice to get my sqlite punbb into MYSQL it would solve alot of problems for me and keep all my members without having to send mass posts for them to register again...
That could be an idea for next pun?

Sory about this I though this was disgussing what to put in future versions, my bad sad

Free games/arcade at dlngle.com

dlngle12, erm wtf? that is completely unrelated, and you already made a post about it. and its a waste of space for an idea as no one would ever use it

Threre is no Compiler for php and rev no is usefull to download the source instead of zip file, and fix minor bugs when releasing version.

1.2.9 rev5555
1.2.9 rev5551 fix some bug

Isn't the number 9 in 1.2.9 the revision number, ie when/if a minor bug is fixed, the next version will be 1.2.10 (not something like 1.2.9 rev5555)?

There is an update between 1.2.9 -> 1.2.10, but if there is some bug fix only we use build number when useing hi language like C, C++, Pascal etc, in php there is no any build number.
In fact i am use rev number and build number in my delphi projects and publish this number to end user.

If I need to fix something, I will release a new version (e.g. 1.2.*). In my opinion, build number, revisions and whatnot only confuse the end user.

13 (edited by Frank H 2005-10-23 17:02)

IMHO
why change something that works fine?

(enough people seems to miss that last number as it's now, how many wouldn't miss adding security fixes if there's a shitload of numbers to keep track on wink)

I meant this kind of fixes

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=52463#p52463

Edit: I'm really sorry about this, but I must have been really tired when I slapped together this release last night. A bad fix that prevented anyone from submitting the essentials profile page when there is only one language pack installed was introduced. I've just fixed it and I recommend that everyone either re-download 1.2.8 and update their profile.php or apply the fix manually.

I prefer to say

Edit: I'm really sorry about this, but I must have been really tired when I slapped together this release last night. A bad fix that prevented anyone from submitting the essentials profile page when there is only one language pack installed was introduced. I've just fixed it and I recommend that everyone either download 1.2.8.5465 and update their profile.php or apply the fix manually.

It is not important thing, just for make this topic usfull smile

then the big question is ... was it 1.2.8.5465 or 1.2.8.5464 I had installed ... or perhaps 1.2.8.5456 ... and then I need to ask Rickard how I would upgrade to go from 1.2.8.5456 to 1.2.8.5465 ...

see my point? wink

I know that all my forums run 1.2.9 ... not that many numbers to keep track on, and as soon as I see 1.2.10 I know for sure it's time to upgrade wink

For that matter, why even 1.2.10 ?  Why not just go ahead and go to 1.3 ? [for the sake of keeping things ultra clean]

I fully recognize you're skipping a number, but 1.3 seems easier to read than 1.2.10.  [shrug]

In the end, the way Rickard is doing it is perfectly fine IMHO.

Anything else is only going to complicate things -

no, thats totally the wrong idea, the version number is basically 1(might go to 2 but no need to worry about that).version.fix so it goes 1.2.1, 1.2.2, ... it could go to 1.2.2567434637 (if there were that many bugs)

it will be 1.3.0 when a new version is released.

it does not go

The latest stable 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is 2.4.31.

Rickard wrote:

The latest stable 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is 2.4.31.

And the latest (stable?) version of IE is 6.0.2900.2180 ;-)

Let's just call it PunBB 2006 wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_version

nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

And the latest (stable?) version of IE is 6.0.2900.2180 ;-)

Nck, it's 6.0.2800.1106 on Win2K. wink

Ugh, build numbers are so user unfriendly. The current PunBB version system is great smile